Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what speeds would you be expecting to utilise and for what kind of application? because tbh 250mbps/200mpbs for day to day usage is more than enough to cover most of day to day usage.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

Maybe for you. Not exactly for me.
Otherwise i would have stick to 500Mbps internet to save $1o/mth

-Synchronicity-

Reaction score
Hey guys, anyone tried Ivacy before? Really interested because of their prices but it kinda seems too good to be true as they're like offering 5 year lock in prices for 1.34 a month now.

I'm using it. Pretty decent. It's a local company BTW. One of the few VPN with Malaysia server...so that I can move my steam account to Malaysia as I can buy everything in rm

Last edited:

kira.yiktah

Reaction score
Anyone able to help me? I signed up with ExpressVPN and I'm able to set up the VPN through AsusWRT OpenVPN, however the speed hit is too significant for me to stream US Netflix in 4K. I am trying to set up the MediaStreamer DNS instead but it doesn't work for me. I'm still getting SG Netflix when I set up the MediaStreamer DNS.

My ISP is MyRepublic, so I am unable to set up DDNS on my Asus router. My understanding is that it's because MR assigns a private WAN IP, i.e. in layman's terms, it's like MR is running a router ahead of my router, so the WAN IP is see reflected in my Asus router that is 172.xx.xx.xx isn't the real public IP that internet traffic sees. Nevertheless, when I log into ExpressVPN and click on DNS settings, what I assume to be my real public WAN IP is indicated as registered. If that's the case, shouldn't the DNS thing work for me? Just so frustrated :( I just want to get US Netflix streaming in 4K.

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone able to help me? I signed up with ExpressVPN and I'm able to set up the VPN through AsusWRT OpenVPN, however the speed hit is too significant for me to stream US Netflix in 4K. I am trying to set up the MediaStreamer DNS instead but it doesn't work for me. I'm still getting SG Netflix when I set up the MediaStreamer DNS.

My ISP is MyRepublic, so I am unable to set up DDNS on my Asus router. My understanding is that it's because MR assigns a private WAN IP, i.e. in layman's terms, it's like MR is running a router ahead of my router, so the WAN IP is see reflected in my Asus router that is 172.xx.xx.xx isn't the real public IP that internet traffic sees. Nevertheless, when I log into ExpressVPN and click on DNS settings, what I assume to be my real public WAN IP is indicated as registered. If that's the case, shouldn't the DNS thing work for me? Just so frustrated :( I just want to get US Netflix streaming in 4K.
what router are you using? how bad is the hit?

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i dun think VPN speed able to stream 4K smoothly.
wireguard or sock5 proxy can.
even for 8k video, but need good VPS

kira.yiktah

Reaction score
what router are you using? how bad is the hit?

Using RT-AC5300 so confirm ain't my router being not up to snuff. No VPN, LG TV Netflix app, check network connection, speed around 100Mbps. With VPN using west coast servers (LA, SF), DC server, and eastern seaboard (NJ) servers configured through AsusWRT OpenVPN, I'm getting at best 7Mbps. So I get streams at 1080p, although it usually starts at crappy 480p and low bandwidth before slowly scaling up to 5Mbps and 1080p. Ain't no 4K secret sauce. I need the 4K.

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i dun think VPN speed able to stream 4K smoothly.
wireguard or sock5 proxy can.
even for 8k video, but need good VPS
I'm using Asus ac86u running on Merlin WRT's OpenVPN client and have no issues hitting 200mbps up and down stream consistently.. so Netflix and YouTube 4k with 0 dropped frames is not an issue.

Using RT-AC5300 so confirm ain't my router being not up to snuff. No VPN, LG TV Netflix app, check network connection, speed around 100Mbps. With VPN using west coast servers (LA, SF), DC server, and eastern seaboard (NJ) servers configured through AsusWRT OpenVPN, I'm getting at best 7Mbps. So I get streams at 1080p, although it usually starts at crappy 480p and low bandwidth before slowly scaling up to 5Mbps and 1080p. Ain't no 4K secret sauce. I need the 4K.
I suggest you to contact expressvpn tech support with your debug log for them to assess. ac5300 have crypto hardware acceleration that is on par with my ac86u so 7mbps is really abit too low.. unless that's really what expressvpn is providing..

I previously also tried expressvpn but requested for refund within the refund period because the speed was much slower than PIA..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.