[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS Lyra Trio - Corner to Corner WiFi

fi5hbone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, is anyone facing an issue whereby Lyra Trio master unit, doing a speedtest through LAN port, and only get speeds locked at 300+Mbps speeds?

I tried my older router AC68u, did a speedtest through LAN and got 800+Mbps.

I have a 1Gbps fiber connection. Is it my Lyra that has problems? Or is there a hidden setting?

Thanks!:s12:
Double check to see if there is a double NAT.
Then try disabling AiProtection.

Sent from HUAWEI CLT-L29 using GAGT

shachok86

Reaction score
Hi Maylyn, iMovies,

With the help from a Asus staff who is also my ex-collegue, I managed to get it up and working.. I would like to share what we have done.

First, set up all the 3 Trio nodes as usual over wireless backhaul using Lyra App.
This is can be done at one location. No need to position the nodes far away..
All 3 nodes should display Solid Cyan after a while.
sd1fgp.jpg

Second, leave all the 3 nodes power on, use Lyra App to configure the nodes to AP mode. Since the 3 nodes works like a single device with single ssid, all 3 nodes will be configured to AP mode at one go.

Third, power off all the nodes and:
- Remove the existing cable connecting the switch and WAN port of node 1 and connect it to LAN port of node 1
- Deploy node 2 to actual location and connect cable from Ethernet point to LAN port of node 2
- Deploy node 3 to actual location and connect cable from Ethernet point to LAN port of node 3

Lastly, power on all nodes and wait for a while until:
- Node 1 turns Solid Cyan
- Node 2 turns Solid Green
- Node 3 turns Solid Green

9jki9u.jpg

Now, I am getting great speeds of 100~300mbps (down) and 400~600 (up) on all the 3 units using speedtest App on my handphone

But, there is one thing Asus can improve on the Trio.
I noticed that the nodes get a little warm after a long while, especially when you are going to leave it on for 24/7.
So, I would like to suggest to Asus to:
- Deem the LED lights when there is no traffic after a certain time frame
- Reduce the wifi transmission power when is no traffic after a certain time frame
- When there is any traffic or connection, it will resume normal brightness and wifi power

"Time frame" to be configurable by user. I believe this should be able to achieve through firmware upgrades..

I think this will increase the lifespan of the device and save energy.

Just got mine today. Thanks for the guide. Works great. Ethernet backhaul for all 3. Speedtest on wifi reached 400Mbps. Auto switch node when I move around the house.

czheyuan

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have just bought and installed the Asus Lyra Trio but I can't seem to find WPS button to connect wirelessly to my gadgets like wireless printer. Can't seem to find solution online too. Any kind soul could help to advise?

Guidance is much appreciated! :)

fi5hbone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have just bought and installed the Asus Lyra Trio but I can't seem to find WPS button to connect wirelessly to my gadgets like wireless printer. Can't seem to find solution online too. Any kind soul could help to advise?

Don't think you can.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I believe the "pairing" button is also the "WPS" button.

gnixer

Master Member
Reaction score
ONT -> AC68U -> wired to each room lan point -> lyra node
I'm unable to connect to node 2 and node 3.
is there something i need to look out?
i have follow the instruction to switch all to AP after setup.
CYAN GREEN GREEN which is correct.

gnixer

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Maylyn, iMovies,

With the help from a Asus staff who is also my ex-collegue, I managed to get it up and working.. I would like to share what we have done.

First, set up all the 3 Trio nodes as usual over wireless backhaul using Lyra App.
sd1fgp.jpg

Second, leave all the 3 nodes power on, use Lyra App to configure the nodes to AP mode. Since the 3 nodes works like a single device with single ssid, all 3 nodes will be configured to AP mode at one go.

- Remove the existing cable connecting the switch and WAN port of node 1 and connect it to LAN port of node 1
- Deploy node 2 to actual location and connect cable from Ethernet point to LAN port of node 2
- Deploy node 3 to actual location and connect cable from Ethernet point to LAN port of node 3

9jki9u.jpg

Now, I am getting great speeds of 100~300mbps (down) and 400~600 (up) on all the 3 units using speedtest App on my handphone

I noticed that the nodes get a little warm after a long while, especially when you are going to leave it on for 24/7.
- Reduce the wifi transmission power when is no traffic after a certain time frame
- When there is any traffic or connection, it will resume normal brightness and wifi power

"Time frame" to be configurable by user. I believe this should be able to achieve through firmware upgrades..

the green color node i cannot get connection.

czheyuan

Master Member
Reaction score

unknownz

Reaction score
High memory usage?

Hi all, anyone encounter high memory usage using the device?

With reference to the enclosed screenshots, it seems the memory use is pretty high even though AiProtection has been disabled.

I also do encounter instances where the router will become "dead" i.e. connection lost for some clients.

Posting a support to Asus did not help as the reply given was pretty superficial asking user to do a factory reset which obviously is not addressing the issue, even though all the necessary logs were provided.

Any insights or advice greatly appreciated.

10oh9gm.png

kdrbx0.png

lolzprox

Reaction score
Double check to see if there is a double NAT.
Then try disabling AiProtection.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I looked into the web page, turned off AiProtection a while back, and the speed went up to 600Mbps or so. Still unable to match AC68U's LAN speeds.

By the way, anyone here faced a weird issue like mine: I have a strong local WiFi signal from my phone to the nearest node for lyra when i'm around 0.5-2m away. I do a speedtest, I get the typical max speed, able to stream youtube all, not choppy, does not buffer.

BUT, lets say I moved away to a far corner, around 5-8m away from the same node that i'm still connected to, but behind one or two walls, it still shows maximum WiFi strength, but videos don't load, or buffers A LOT, even webpages or instagram or shopping app images don't load properly. Speedtest sometime suggests that i'm getting 0.5-3Mbps down speed, 10-15Mbps up speed.

Any idea what could be the cause? What can i do to improve that? Even though it is supposed to be "mesh" and "improves coverage", locally yes, but not to the internet world, and it is really frustrating for us to stream videos but it doesn't load.

Maybe i'll attach an image to explain my situation better, test point 2 and 3 are examples of strong signal, but videos/webpages don't load.

SMbifl5
https://imgur.com/SMbifl5

Last edited:

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Are the connection between your nodes strong ? Can you do a check if your device is on the 1st nice or nearest node when you experience slow speeds ?

fi5hbone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion.

I looked into the web page, turned off AiProtection a while back, and the speed went up to 600Mbps or so. Still unable to match AC68U's LAN speeds.

By the way, anyone here faced a weird issue like mine: I have a strong local WiFi signal from my phone to the nearest node for lyra when i'm around 0.5-2m away. I do a speedtest, I get the typical max speed, able to stream youtube all, not choppy, does not buffer.

BUT, lets say I moved away to a far corner, around 5-8m away from the same node that i'm still connected to, but behind one or two walls, it still shows maximum WiFi strength, but videos don't load, or buffers A LOT, even webpages or instagram or shopping app images don't load properly. Speedtest sometime suggests that i'm getting 0.5-3Mbps down speed, 10-15Mbps up speed.

Any idea what could be the cause? What can i do to improve that? Even though it is supposed to be "mesh" and "improves coverage", locally yes, but not to the internet world, and it is really frustrating for us to stream videos but it doesn't load.

Maybe i'll attach an image to explain my situation better, test point 2 and 3 are examples of strong signal, but videos/webpages don't load.

SMbifl5
https://imgur.com/SMbifl5
Likely it is still trying to connect to the first node. Give it a while, it will then switch to a stronger node. If not you might need another node depending on your house shape.

Do you have a floor plan to share?

lolzprox

Reaction score
Are the connection between your nodes strong ? Can you do a check if your device is on the 1st nice or nearest node when you experience slow speeds ?

Yep, i made sure to switch over to the second node to test. And connection between master and node is excellent, almost line of sight.

Weird.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yep, i made sure to switch over to the second node to test. And connection between master and node is excellent, almost line of sight.

Weird.

Maybe a reset of the entire system / swapping of nodes before bringing to the service center ?

wsngang

Reaction score
Just to say Thank You! This guide should be part of the manual.

Suggestion on the guide at step "Second": After applying the "AP Mode", all Trio start blinking blue (applying setting), then all will go off and start blinking blue again. Eventually, all will come back to solid cyan (basically they reboot after applying the AP Mode settings). At this stage, the Lyra apps will show Error.

Merry Christmas!

Hi Maylyn, iMovies,

shachok86

Reaction score
Wifi dropping

Anyone face wifi dropping issue after updating to latest firmware? My few mobile device keep getting signal drop and go to 4G. Did a factory reset and problem still occur. All node is on ethernet backhaul and the Lyra app showing 3 green line connection to main node.

plustwo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is it more cost effective to get aimesh compatible routers instead of lyra trio nodes?

context edit:

currently have a 3 node lyra trio mesh setup via ethernet backhaul with one node being the main router connecting to the ont. problem is the lyra nodes seem to be complete garbage for handling main router traffic and after a few days the main router needs to be power cycled to clear the lag on all devices including the wired ones. also, the lyra nodes seem to intermittenly forget they are on ethernet backhaul and suddenly switch to wireless meshing, which places extra stress on the wifi speeds.

because of this, i have decided i need to get a standalone router that functions as the edge router and use the mesh nodes solely for wifi connectivity because i can't have such an unstable device being the bottleneck for all device traffic as i have quite a few wired desktops as well. while i was looking for a device that would play nice with the lyra trio, i came across the information that asus routers that support aimesh can be connected via a single ssid. however, aimesh routers seem to be the higher end models, leading me to wonder if i should just replace the entire lyra trio set with 2x aimesh routers if i'm already buying a new one.

Last edited:

fi5hbone

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
AiMesh cannot be connected to the Lyra nodes. What you can do is use the Lyras as APs and set up a router as a router connected to the modem.

MeGaBiTeS

Reaction score
Anyone face wifi dropping issue after updating to latest firmware? My few mobile device keep getting signal drop and go to 4G. Did a factory reset and problem still occur. All node is on ethernet backhaul and the Lyra app showing 3 green line connection to main node.
I am facing the same issue. Was using AC68U (with the latest firmware) as main router and 2 nos. of Lrya Trio as nodes through ethernet backhual. My mobile devices kept throwing between 4G and WIFI.
I'm currently doing without the AC68U and flashed the Lyra Trio back to firmware 3.0.0.4.382_20235 for more stability.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.