Singtel 1 Gbps Fibre

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
And leave that “Singtel 1 Gbps Unlimited Fibre” discussion to those who really have the “1Gbps unlimited Fibre” plan which is no longer available to new subscribers. They pay S$50 per month for the plan, no SingTel TV, using ONT, no ONR. They do not need to use Vlan, their laptop/PC/Mac can direct link to ONT port 1 to connect to Internet.

If you have SingTel ONR or SingTel TV or you need Vlan, you are on the normal 1Gbps plan.

Last edited:

Arucard

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
There is an existing Singtel fibre optic broadband thread ongoing but the title may be abit misleading.. original named "Singnet"

Singnet Fibre Optic Broadband Speed Discussion

For your info.

I am trying to divert people away from the 1gb unlimited plan to a new thread.

and there is another thread for the 1+1gb plan

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...-1-1-gbps-fiber-pro-gamer-bundle-5915312.html

why not you go in and post and let them know the singnet thread?

you got nothing better to do just go away , thanks

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just a start I was using SingTel Fibre 500Mbps and upgraded to 1Gbps this September. I was given a free AC Plus (AC1200 router) to be used with the old ONT and Mio TV box. Later I did one to one exchange for the ONT and SingTel TV box, still ONT (no ONR). I can keep using my old Linksys WRT1900AC (v1, 2014 model) since it supports Vlan.

So far so good. I do not feel much change since majority of the device are on wireless and only up to 2x2 AC MIMO (iPhone X and a laptop). SingTel Fibre is pretty stable for me since switching from StarHub Cable in 2011.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just a start I was using SingTel Fibre 500Mbps and upgraded to 1Gbps this September. I was given a free AC Plus (AC1200 router) to be used with the old ONT and Mio TV box. Later I did one to one exchange for the ONT and SingTel TV box, still ONT (no ONR). I can keep using my old Linksys WRT1900AC (v1, 2014 model) since it supports Vlan.

So far so good. I do not feel much change since majority of the device are on wireless and only up to 2x2 AC MIMO (iPhone X and a laptop). SingTel Fibre is pretty stable for me since switching from StarHub Cable in 2011.

All major isp are stable, not just ST.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All major isp are stable, not just ST.

I only have used SingTel and StarHub.

ST is probably the most under rated Fibre Broadband service provider in this forum, mainly due to the free router provided like the ONR and AC 1900/AC Elite/AC Plus or the older Aztech/Pace/2-Wire routers. And due to their control like Vlan (less a problem now) and using customer FW on the wireless routers and even their Mesh solution, and some other “features” like throttling torrent (personally I like this feature so the bandwidth is not too much consumed by those power users, and I in general do not use BT myself).

So Power users who want more features will shun SingTel. Average users like I are well served by SingTel. Service is so so but other providers are no better ( at least I think StarHub is slightly worse as I am also using StarHub for my secondary usage).

Ref: ISP comparisons thread
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...gbn-forum-320/help-me-choose-isp-5819625.html

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score

ST is probably the most under rated Fibre Broadband service provider in this forum, mainly due to the free router provided like the ONR and AC 1900/AC Elite/AC Plus or the older Aztech/Pace/2-Wire routers. And due to their control like Vlan (less a problem now) and using customer FW on the wireless routers and even their Mesh solution, and some other “features” like throttling torrent (personally I like this feature so the bandwidth is not too much consumed by those power users, and I in general do not use BT myself).

So Power users who want more features will shun SingTel. Average users like I are well served by SingTel. Service is so so but other providers are no better ( at least I think StarHub is slightly worse as I am also using StarHub for my secondary usage).

https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/...gbn-forum-320/help-me-choose-isp-5819625.html

I don't agree.

Firstly Singtel broadband @ $44.90 is the most expensive 1Gbps and under plan. For most people there is no reason to subscribe to it unless you want a Singtel tv bundle.

Every other ISP will have a broadband plan that provides a router as well.

I cannot see how throttling bit-torrent will improve customers experience. M1 does not throttle bit-torrent
ncxbip.png
[/IMG] and no one complains that speed is slow. If Singtel can't cope with customers torrenting at unrestricted speed, they should improve their own infrastructure instead of limiting bandwidth.

The proprietary router & mesh singtel provide has the worst firmware update implementation of any consumer product. You literally have to call singtel to request for a firmware update. I don't understand why singtel did not just let their routers auto update or allow customers a link on a website to download the latest firmware.

Those annoyance are what a regular user will face.

Also there was an incident that question the competence of Singtel employees.

Singtel ping to overseas server is also poor

another example

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes SingTel 1Gbps at S$44.9 is not the best price (I am paying this price myself, just upgraded in September) but if you get the other perks with SingTel TV and even SingTel Mobile (SingTel Circle), then it may be a good value as a package.

SingTel Circle benefits are pretty good.
https://www.singtel.com/personal/products-services/broadband/singtel-circle

As for M1, yes I hear good words about them. For my secondary Fiber internet access (StarHub 500Mbps, do not want to put into one basket cause already too much in SingTel), I can consider to switch to M1 in the future, just renewed contract with StarHub at S$29.9 which seems to be a mistake— should wait for offers as I am out of contract for one 1.5 years+ and I did not get any freebies or promotions this time.

As for non-big-three, I don’t think I will consider them any time soon. Even StarHub is cutting people and M1 was originally to be sold (later the major shareholders changed the mind), not so sure how they can survive in the long run. If they do not get the profit, then the service level will go down spirals.

Actually same for those mobile MUVOs, I was using Virgin Mobile prepaid last time (bought Nokia 8250 from them, it is a joint venture with SingTel). Later it went bust...

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Yes SingTel 1Gbps at S$44.9 is not the best price (I am paying this price myself, just upgraded in September) but if you get the other perks with SingTel TV and even SingTel Mobile (SingTel Circle), then it may be a good value as a package.

SingTel Circle benefits are pretty good.
https://www.singtel.com/personal/pro...singtel-circle

As for M1, yes I hear good words about them. For my secondary Fiber internet access (StarHub 500Mbps, do not want to put into one basket cause already too much in SingTel), I can consider to switch to M1 in the future, just renewed contract with StarHub at S$29.9 which seems to be a mistake— should wait for offers as I am out of contract for one 1.5 years+ and I did not get any freebies or promotions this time.

As for non-big-three, I don’t think I will consider them any time soon. Even StarHub is cutting people and M1 was originally to be sold (later the major shareholders changed the mind), not so sure how they can survive in the long run. If they do not get the profit, then the service level will go down spirals.

Actually same for those mobile MUVOs, I was using Virgin Mobile prepaid last time (bought Nokia 8250 from them, it is a joint venture with SingTel). Later it went bust...

Singtel circles seems like one of those things that convince you to spend more to some how save more at the same time.

I don't require cable TV or a handset upgrade form a telco. Both to me are redundant since internet streams and SIM only plan are mainstream.

All the 3 ISP including Singtel don't seem to be doing well financially.

https://www.straitstimes.com/business/companies-markets/singtels-q2-profit-falls-77-its-worst-quarter-in-15-years

That is none of my concern since I don't own any shares from them and it's up to them to figure out how to profit from the competitive scene.

With current no contract SIM only plans, the reliability of mvno does not bother me. Worst case I just switch provider.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I don't require cable TV or a handset upgrade form a telco. Both to me are redundant since internet streams and SIM only plan are mainstream.

All the 3 ISP including Singtel don't seem to be doing well financially.
With current no contract SIM only plans, the reliability of mvno does not bother me. Worst case I just switch provider.

I do agree with you on SingTel TV or StarHub TV and the annual handset upgrades.

I almost cut my SingTel TV this time if not for the offer. My daughter is the only one who wants to watch TV, Nick Jr in this case but she is happy with Peppa Pig or others on her iPad Mini 1. So when the 12 month SingTel TV Family Learning pack contract expires I may cut it if not getting the discount.

And I do agree with you on SIM only plan which is the trend and is the way to go.

I may switch to SIM only myself after the contract expires in Sept 2020.

Still I think I will continue to use SingTel Mobile and Fibre Internet, if it an’t broke, do not fix it. :)

Edit to add:
BTW, SingTel still keeps my 1GB free Mobile broadband 3G Sim benefit (from 2011) and that is an added plus compared to 512MB 4G Sim people get now.

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
I do agree with you on SingTel TV or StarHub TV and the annual handset upgrades.

I almost cut my SingTel TV this time if not for the offer. My daughter is the only one who wants to watch TV, Nick Jr in this case but she is happy with Peppa Pig or others on her iPad Mini 1. So when the 12 month SingTel TV Family Learning pack contract expires I may cut it if not getting the discount.

And I do agree with you on SIM only plan which is the trend and is the way to go.

I may switch to SIM only myself after the contract expires in Sept 2020.

Still I think I will continue to use SingTel Mobile and Fibre Internet, if it an’t broke, do not fix it. :)

I just chromecast those random videos on YouTube to my TV.
Only downside is my recommendations feed is now full of children videos.

My parents both stream videos from my plex server to the TV via chromecast.
They also are using the $0 circle life sim only plan without any addons. Only me with my "excessive data usage" use zero1's 9.90 1GB to unlimited plan.

So internet + mobile line + entertainment for my family just cost $38.9/month

I have a 500MB sim from m1 as well which I don't use :s22:

miloaisdino

Reaction score

the onr is not a free router. U have to return it when your service terminates.
their mesh products are not the best nor are they free anyway.. just free installation

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
the onr is not a free router. U have to return it when your service terminates.
their mesh products are not the best nor are they free anyway.. just free installation

Thanks for pointing out that ONR is not really free. I am using ONT myself.

I did not say that the SingTel Mesh offering is free though and I do not think SingTel mesh is a good solution from what I read. Better to go with other Mesh solutions.

Cyberboy128

Reaction score
Thanks for pointing out that ONR is not really free. I am using ONT myself.

I did not say that the SingTel Mesh offering is free though and I do not think SingTel mesh is a good solution from what I read. Better to go with other Mesh solutions.

ONR even free also don't want because it will not work without Singtel. Moreover, it's a lousy router than many wish that they provide ONT so own router can be used.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ONR even free also don't want because it will not work without Singtel. Moreover, it's a lousy router than many wish that they provide ONT so own router can be used.

Haha then you are considered power users by SingTel already. :)

Since I was on a recontract / upgrade from 500Mbps to 1Gbps, I got to use the old ONT and got a new ONT after recontract with one-to-one exchange.

That being said, power users who are on 2Gbps and 10Gbps plan are supposedly get the ONR as well. Maybe there are very few such users with SingTel.

miloaisdino

Reaction score
Haha then you are considered power users by SingTel already. :)

Since I was on a recontract / upgrade from 500Mbps to 1Gbps, I got to use the old ONT and got a new ONT after recontract with one-to-one exchange.

That being said, power users who are on 2Gbps and 10Gbps plan are supposedly get the ONR as well. Maybe there are very few such users with SingTel.

10gbps onr contain bridging mode

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
10gbps onr contain bridging mode

I see. Power lah. 10Gbps...

Edit to add:
Is it like 1+1 Gamer plan where Port 4 is just link ONT and Port 1/2/3 are managed by ONR?

Or you can configure the ONR as a bridge?

What about 2Gbps plan?

Last edited:

miloaisdino

Reaction score
I see. Power lah. 10Gbps...

haha i rather sueprinternet cos its a direct sfp+... good thats its 1:1 contention ratio up till their local node :)

anyway i dont remember singtel stating that there is no throttling on the plan :x

According to my calculations last time, I suspect singtels contention ratio is 1:40... A good contention ratio is considered 1:20 or less....

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.