Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
QQmusic premium (开通绿钻) i mean..
12 mths: 180 Chinese Yuan equals 35.98 Singapore Dollar
*note, i am on myrepublic fibre

Interesting to know QQ Music VIP works in Singapore without VPN.

I am using the free XiaMi Music 虾米音乐, not bad, can download quite some music too under both iOS and Android. Not paid for their VIP so I do not know if it really works or not but I think it should work too without VPN.

For Tencent Video腾讯视频, I think you need VPN.

For rooted Android TV box, I have used the app China Tunnel which seems to work in bypassing Geo blocking of some of the apps including Tencent Video腾讯视频.

On iPhone and Android TV boxes, free/paid VPN like Transocks穿梭and SpeedIn快帆 can be used as well. I have only tried a bit only — no time to watch so much videos, YouTube is actually good enough. And there are many apps to get access to Chinese Live TV or dramas, under iOS and Android, without VPN.

Last edited:

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bro are you able to get US Netflix streaming at 4K? Anyone able to do so with MyRepublic? Please teach.

i do not have netflix.
only watching 4k youtube video. becoz i work in china.

xiaofan mentioned chinatunnel. it's pretty good.
u can try the paid version call chinatunnel VPN.
it uses proxy. so you do not need to switch server when watching netflix and chinese video concurrently.

https://github.com/yanggis/ChinaTunnel

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm using Asus ac86u running on Merlin WRT's OpenVPN client and have no issues hitting 200mbps up and down stream consistently.. so Netflix and YouTube 4k with 0 dropped frames is not an issue.

tats great. you have a good vpn provider and much better router.
i'm still using Asus N66 with 100mbps plan. haha

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Why not valid? Most VPN are paid in USD anyway

Because I do not know mah, never has the need to pay for a VPN anyway, not into western entertainment at all — first thing for my Android TV box is to delete the apps like Netflix, Mobdro or things like that and reset Kodi if the vendor already puts some stuff there.

kira.yiktah

Reaction score
I'm using Asus ac86u running on Merlin WRT's OpenVPN client and have no issues hitting 200mbps up and down stream consistently.. so Netflix and YouTube 4k with 0 dropped frames is not an issue.

I suggest you to contact expressvpn tech support with your debug log for them to assess. ac5300 have crypto hardware acceleration that is on par with my ac86u so 7mbps is really abit too low.. unless that's really what expressvpn is providing..

I previously also tried expressvpn but requested for refund within the refund period because the speed was much slower than PIA..

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

@Charlie_Zhan bro, which VPN are you using? Connected to which server? Is there a free trial? 200 up 200 down is good. That's fantastic. I want that life...

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
@Charlie_Zhan bro, which VPN are you using? Connected to which server? Is there a free trial? 200 up 200 down is good. That's fantastic. I want that life...
I've been using paid PIA for the past 2 years.. usually connected to SG server since it's set up on the router and is used more for ip masking and privacy purposes and i seldom use it for geoblocking.. if torrenting, I just use their desktop client on the torrenting PC and usually connect to their Canada or Germany servers so that there will be a port number given for me to open on my side.

you can refer to the screenshots below for my wireless speed on their SG server and US Silicon Valley server.. if you are looking for a VPN to unblock geoblocking for Netflix, this VPN is not for you.. it will be detected by Netflix..

SG Server
heMH0Zw.jpg

x8IfE11.jpg

US - Silicone Valley Server
OAJcqds.jpg

YsynPvM.jpg

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

kira.yiktah

Reaction score
So PIA doesn't work for unblocking Netflix's geoblocker. Darn. Anyone else able to stream US Netflix in 4K?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I do not use Netflix myself but there is a thread here.
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/house-displays-226/us-netflix-vpn-5760776.html

Looks like not sure working solution — smart DNS and VPN may work for some but may not work for others — which means local ISP providers may play a part here.

Edit: wrong link
https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/03/netflix-blocking-your-vpn-heres-how-to-build-your-own/

Edit: correct link, which proves a few VPN recommendations for Netflix VPNs with some disclaimer as following.
https://www.cloudwards.net/how-to-beat-the-netflix-vpn-ban/

“Since losing money goes against the core principle of any business, Netfli id=x found itself under a considerable amount of pressure to prevent people from using a VPN, without just seeming to do so. In reply, the service set up what’s possibly the best VPN detection system outside of the People’s Republic of China to catch perpetrators.”

“Which brings us to a last point: in this cat-and-mouse game between Netflix and VPNs there are no guarantees. One day a server will work perfectly, the next you’re out of luck and you get a Netflix proxy error. All that helps is switching servers and praying that your old one will be back up sooner rather than later.”

I believe the only more likely to work longer solution is to have your own VPN — VPS on AWS or Google Cloud or other service providers.

Ref: https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/03/netflix-blocking-your-vpn-heres-how-to-build-your-own/

I watched quite a bit of Chinese YouTubers who built VPS to bypass the Great Wall firewall in China. If the solution works for Great Wall, then I think it should work for Netflix.

The issue is whether it is worth the money or efforts to chase for the elusive 4k.

Last edited:

-Synchronicity-

Reaction score
https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/03/netflix-blocking-your-vpn-heres-how-to-build-your-own/

“Since losing money goes against the core principle of any business, Netfli id=x found itself under a considerable amount of pressure to prevent people from using a VPN, without just seeming to do so. In reply, the service set up what’s possibly the best VPN detection system outside of the People’s Republic of China to catch perpetrators.”

“Which brings us to a last point: in this cat-and-mouse game between Netflix and VPNs there are no guarantees. One day a server will work perfectly, the next you’re out of luck and you get a Netflix proxy error. All that helps is switching servers and praying that your old one will be back up sooner rather than later.”

I believe the only more likely to work longer solution is to have your own VPN — VPS on AWS or Google Cloud or other service providers.

Ref: https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2016/03/netflix-blocking-your-vpn-heres-how-to-build-your-own/

I watched quite a bit of Chinese YouTubers who built VPS to bypass the Great Wall firewall in China. If the solution works for Great Wall, then I think it should work for Netflix.

The issue is whether it is worth the money or efforts to chase for the elusive 4k.

Tried aws no go. Netflix blocked the whole range of ips from aws. I believe it's the same for most cloud providers.

Though to be fair I tried this back in 2017 when Netflix was really aggressive with this VPN crap.

Feel free to try your luck though as things might have changed now.

I gave up which is why I went for ivacy. At least I can VPN in and watch Netflix on the go.

Last edited:

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

one of the many reason pple would rather pirate than go thru all these ****.
they wanna throw money at the providers.. but.. the providers dun want the money.. lol :s22:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tried aws no go. Netflix blocked the whole range of ips from aws. I believe it's the same for most cloud providers.

Though to be fair I tried this back in 2017 when Netflix was really aggressive with this VPN crap.

Feel free to try your luck though as things might have changed now.

I gave up which is why I went for ivacy. At least I can VPN in and watch Netflix on the go.

I know it can be done since a few Chinese YouTuber are showing how they build the VPS and SSR thingy to bypass the China Firewall and watch Netflix 4K on their PS 4 Pro, Apple TV 4K and NVidia Shield TV or other boxes. I see their link speed is >100Mbps to US Netflix servers.

Edit: add one ref
Ref: 215.82Mbps in the following video in Netflix App network speed check. And he is showing Netflix 4K for both Apple TV 4K and Nvidia Shield TV.
https://youtu.be/tqpaPx02hyY

Again this is a cat and mouse game as Netflix starts to block IP address ranges from various cloud VPS vendors and SS providers.

++++++++++++++++
Ref in Chinese:
https://digitalimmigrant.org/16

In the above review, it mentions a few methods.

1) VPN
It says that Express VPN (LA 03) is stable but slow, so not easy to have HD/4K.

2) Shadowsocks provider

3) Build your own Shadowsocks server
It mentions that VPS providers like
Linode,Vultr,Digitalocean, Bandwagon are already blocked by Netflix. And it is complicated.

4) The author does not recommend DNS based methods like the following.
Getflix,SmatDNSProxy ,Proxmate

So the author in the end is more inclined to SS providers for bypass China Firewall and watch Netflix at the same time.

One provider:
http://www.myharbour.website
US$69 per year including one Netflix account . 3days trial with 5GB data
+++++++++

Disclaimer: I do not know how to do and do not need Netflix myself but I tend to believe SS providers should work for Singapore as well.

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Maybe the best option is to have a friend in another country you want to watch you videos host s VPN server on his own network that you can connect to

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
one of the many reason pple would rather pirate than go thru all these ****.
they wanna throw money at the providers.. but.. the providers dun want the money.. lol :s22:

I think Netflix wants to provide more content to Singapore Netflix if more customers are subscribing to it and then it can pay content providers. Chicken and egg thingy.

I am not so sure how many in Singapore will want to pay for more Netflix content if the price is they double the monthly subscription price : roughly current price plus VPN provider price.

I guess more people are interested in Chinese/Japanese/Korean/Malay/Indian/Singlish entertainment in Singapore as there are so many people buying those Android TV boxes with dubious apps.

TVB Anywhere is one example, they do not have live TV in Sinagpore, if they do, I think there will be quite some subscribers as it will beat StarHub offerings and provide better quality and ease of use than those Android TV boxes with dubious apps.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe the best option is to have a friend in another country you want to watch you videos host s VPN server on his own network that you can connect to

Haha you need a pretty good friend and yet IT savvy to achieve this goal, not easy...

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Haha you need a pretty good friend and yet IT savvy to achieve this goal, not easy...

I have a friend in Australia who is probably savvy enough to configure a VPN server. However his internet has a bandwidth cap at 200GB a month and upload speed about 0.5Mbps...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.