US help.

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Someone help me. I will be traveling under student visa to Seattle on May 2019, my friends and I is planning to drive into Canada like a few days short trip when we are there. We will be renting car from this app called TURO.

1) Is it a must to get IDP for the driver as we will be driving a US car into Canada with a SG passport? I know for us to drive in US we don’t need IDP, but we are going into Canada, I scare kenna problem.

2) Going into Canada is Visa free, But do I need to bring/prepare anything or apply CanAdian ESTA online? And somemore we are not going in by air as we are driving in.

1) You should, but you don’t have to. Source right here. (and incidentally, this was on the first page of Google results for “Canada International Drivers Permit”)

An IDP is just a translation of your driver’s license for the convenience of any non-English-speaking cop who pulls you over. Since you’re on the west coast, and not going near the French-speaking areas (I assume), this shouldn’t be a problem for you.

2) LMGTFY, mate. The google snippet for “Singaporean traveling to Canada” answers your question:
Canada. Singaporeans require an Electronic Travel Authorisation (eTA) from 15 March 2016 onwards for travel to Canada. The eTA is an electronic document required for visa-exempt travellers seeking to enter Canada by air and is mandatory for all Singapore citizens travelling on a Singapore passport.

darklighter

Reaction score
Something like:
Day 1-3: Seattle
Day 4-6: fly to Jackson, rent a car, explore Grand Tetons National Park from Jackson;
Day 6-8: drive up to Yellowstone; explore Yellowstone National Park from a base in West Yellowstone or Gardiner (Gardiner would be my pick)
Day 8: drive the Beartooth Pass: Gardiner-Cooke City-Red Lodge
Day 9: drive to Billings, fly back to Seattle

If you want to stretch this out, then:

Day 8: instead of the Beartooth Pass, drive north toward Great Falls instead
Day 9-10: Glacier National Park; drive Going-To-The-Sun Road
Day 11: Drive to Kalispell and/or Coeur d’Alene
Day 12: Fly back from Spokane to Seattle

Thanks so much.. I'd like to balance the itinerary with some urban activities for my girlfriend who'd be in US for the first time; what's fun to do? I did a quick check for Six Flags but there aren't any nearby.

Are you a Singaporean who has migrated to US bro?

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much.. I'd like to balance the itinerary with some urban activities for my girlfriend who'd be in US for the first time; what's fun to do? I did a quick check for Six Flags but there aren't any nearby.

Are you a Singaporean who has migrated to US bro?

There's a few things to do around Seattle. All of the theme parks are way down south in SoCal, but does your girlfriend like museums; shopping; technology; the outdoors; restaurants...? This is a very outdoorsy holiday, so prepare her for that.

And I'm an Aussie-born-and-bred citizen who lived in Singapore for a few years, then pulled the ejector seat and moved to the USA.

corliss

Reaction score
Enquiry on data in USA

Hi all,

Good afternoon.

Quick question - I am heading to USA for 21 days.

Frens told me that wifi is not readily available at all places and suggested that I get a data plan prior to USA.

I dunno which one I should get:
1) STARHUB PREPAID SIM (Happy Prepaid SIM – $50
$50 Credit 180 days
10-Day 100GB local data
30-Day 5GB roaming data*
2) DataTravel Global
3GB at $50
3) https://www.qoo10.sg/item/USA-PREPAID-DATA-AND-CALLING-SIM-CARD-OVERSEAS-TRAVEL-SIM-CARD/441477962

Any suggestion is welcome :)

Thanks

darklighter

Reaction score
And I'm an Aussie-born-and-bred citizen who lived in Singapore for a few years, then pulled the ejector seat and moved to the USA.

:s7: What makes you want to stick around a Singapore forum still!

For my itinerary, i made the pivotal decision to skip Yellowstone NP this time, and focus more on Glacier NP for a more relaxed vacation. The former doesn't have the cheap direct domestic flights which i was hoping for, unlike from Denver/Salt Lake City

1. Being that i the number of days i have is confirmed at 10, what other secondary must-do spots should i go as well? Or spend more days at GNP and enjoy the neighbouring towns?

2. Is there an airport on the eastern side of the park? Great Falls? i'd prefer not to drive through the park twice

Edit: Girlfriend would love Silverwood Theme Park!

Last edited:

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
:s7: What makes you want to stick around a Singapore forum still!

Mostly I hang out on Money Mind, but I like answering questions about the USA as well.

1. Being that i the number of days i have is confirmed at 10, what other secondary must-do spots should i go as well? Or spend more days at GNP and enjoy the neighbouring towns?

Spend some time in Seattle as well; it’s great!

2. Is there an airport on the eastern side of the park? Great Falls? i'd prefer not to drive through the park twice

Alaska Airlines has reasonably-priced nonstops from GTF to Seattle.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Something like:
Day 1-3: Seattle
Day 4-6: fly to Jackson, rent a car, explore Grand Tetons National Park from Jackson;
Day 6-8: drive up to Yellowstone; explore Yellowstone National Park from a base in West Yellowstone or Gardiner (Gardiner would be my pick)
Day 8: drive the Beartooth Pass: Gardiner-Cooke City-Red Lodge
Day 9: drive to Billings, fly back to Seattle

No experiences with the rest but Jackson and Grand Tetons National Park are pretty good.

Usually we go to Factory Outlet to buy stuff as the main entertainment during business trip. But one of my trip is to the middle of no where in Wyoming (gas compression station). Two of us flew to Salt Lake City and US colleagues flew from Seattle to Salt Lake City. Then they drove us to the destination. We got half day before the real work so the US colleagues brought us to Jackson and then went to Grand Teton.

The drive from Salt Lake City to Wyoming was a nice experience as well. You may experience some discomfort because of altitude change. You do need to be an experienced driver and better to use a strong vehicle. Many containers are on the road so drive carefully.

Jackson is a nice place. Grand Teton is also pretty good. I guess two days will be really enough.

The experience to the gas compression station was even the first time for the two US colleagues from Seattle because you can not find the destination from Google map.

After the three day trip we went back to Salt Lake City but the comment from the young US engineer was “finally back to Civilisations”. He insisted to go to a French restaurant to celebrate.

Last edited:

aromilk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, you can go through as a family, don't worry.

That said, immigration at LAX is a pain; LAX and Miami have been my worst immigration experiences in the States. If you ever have a choice, go in through SFO or Honolulu instead of LAX.

Just came back from US 2 weeks ago. Went in thru SFO. Wow, the immigration officer who is a latino girl is damn chio and friendly

bwaysaikryptonite

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a gd car rental with insurance included in LA as I don’t think Avis dollar hertz include it ?

also do I need a car seat for child ages 6 yrs old in Los Angeles will be driving to San Diego etc ? Is it acceptable to bring those combi booster seat ? Or must be those full height child seat for 6 years to 7 years? Tks

aromilk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a gd car rental with insurance included in LA as I don’t think Avis dollar hertz include it ?

also do I need a car seat for child ages 6 yrs old in Los Angeles will be driving to San Diego etc ? Is it acceptable to bring those combi booster seat ? Or must be those full height child seat for 6 years to 7 years? Tks

I used Hertz. Includes insurances. In fact, all car rentals include basic insurance. U juz have to top up for zero excesses.

bwaysaikryptonite

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I used Hertz. Includes insurances. In fact, all car rentals include basic insurance. U juz have to top up for zero excesses.

Thanks then what’s the emphasis on some additional insurance most mention that’s a must? 0 excess type of insurance and 3rd party? Those are necessary Incase others knock u also so u don’t have to pay a cent

hawkwind

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks then what’s the emphasis on some additional insurance most mention that’s a must? 0 excess type of insurance and 3rd party? Those are necessary Incase others knock u also so u don’t have to pay a cent

They might offer an option for roadside assistance, eg, if you run a flat or if car just stops running, etc. Up to you if you think you know enough how to get help on your own.

ceecookie

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

You can either take a 0 excess with the rental company, or buy a travel insurance that covers vehicle excess (normally 500-2k coverage). The advantage of 0 excess is that u don't have to file paperwork for claiming insurance

Pseudomonas

Reaction score
West Coast '19

Hello everyone,

I'm in the midst of planning a trip to the West Coast next year, from 19th to 27th October, for a Holiday and Pre-wedding photo shoot :)

Along the way, we would be visiting a friend in Houston, Texas.

I was just wondering what would be the best flight option/route in terms of time-savings.
We intend to arrive via SFO on 19th October (0925hrs) and leave either via LAX or IAH (Houston Airport) on the 27th October 2019 (night flight).

19-20 Oct: SFO (Drive)
21-23 Oct: LV (Drive)
24-25 Oct: LA (Drive)
26-27 Oct: Houston (Flight)

Given the above, leaving via LAX would mean taking return domestic flights from LV/LAX to IAH and leaving via IAH (Houston) would mean taking a one way flight to Houston from LV/LAX.

Layover time from Houston to SG is about 1.45hrs from SQ (Stop over at Manchester).

Thanks all!

Shiny Things

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm in the midst of planning a trip to the West Coast next year, from 19th to 27th October, for a Holiday and Pre-wedding photo shoot :)

Along the way, we would be visiting a friend in Houston, Texas.

I was just wondering what would be the best flight option/route in terms of time-savings.
We intend to arrive via SFO on 19th October (0925hrs) and leave either via LAX or IAH (Houston Airport) on the 27th October 2019 (night flight).

19-20 Oct: SFO (Drive)
21-23 Oct: LV (Drive)
24-25 Oct: LA (Drive)
26-27 Oct: Houston (Flight)

Given the above, leaving via LAX would mean taking return domestic flights from LV/LAX to IAH and leaving via IAH (Houston) would mean taking a one way flight to Houston from LV/LAX.

Eight days is a VERY short trip; you're going to be spending most of your time travelling and recovering from jetlag.

My suggestion would be to ditch Vegas and LA. Just spend 4-5 days in SF, and 2-3 in Houston (there's really not a lot to do there). Fly in to SFO; fly to Houston; fly back home from IAH.

iceblendedchoc

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is taking Amtrak okay to explore states to states?

Cause both of us are have failing eyesight and concentration and likely to be a menace on the road.

cchang

Reaction score
We will be driving from LA to Williams via route 66, any nice restaurant and places that is recommended? It will be a long hour drive but will still like to stopover to the town that should not be missed. Thanks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.