Ask me any questions - Part 2

clementiboy

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ICOCA only for adults i think.
Check with the JR station staff.

okay i got it.
i happen to have SUICA card left over from last year.
i just found out that i can also use the SUICA card in Osaka.

however can i use the SUICA card (instead of ICOCA card) to buy a discounted Haruka train pass from kansai to USJ and from kyoto to kansai?

chainer22

Reaction score
one thing i forgot to ask. if driving to Tohoku, is it difficult to find parking lots? how much are the parking charges usually?

Halo green

Banned
Reaction score
if no licence, and putting up in sapporo is it better to join bus tour to blue pond and shirahige waterfall?

wkweewee

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So Steakland is still the place to go? Budget is around 4-5k for a decent lunch set. Actually I tend to avoid those overly white marbling due to health (and pocket) reasons.

There are better places to eat other a5 cattles in japan. Don’t restrict oneself to just kobe :o

lolBoy

Reaction score
Hi, do you have any recommendation on where I could spend 2d1n (1-3 jan) that is near Tokyo? Initially planning to go Hakone but had cancel due to weir booking

Alyeska

Reaction score
Is onomichi worth a full day's trip or just half a day? Also would it be possible to navigate there with just bare japanese words?

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi, do you have any recommendation on where I could spend 2d1n (1-3 jan) that is near Tokyo? Initially planning to go Hakone but had cancel due to weir booking
Kawaguchiko?
Or maybe Kusatsu Onsen?
Might be a bit early in the season but maybe go to the nearby mountains to ski or play with snow?

thwysg

Reaction score

Saitama? Ibaraki? Atami? Yokohama? Most ryokan probably are fully booked for 1-3 Jan. You don’t have much time.

saffronsatire

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is onomichi worth a full day's trip or just half a day? Also would it be possible to navigate there with just bare japanese words?
I didn't go cycling or island hopping on the ferries, so half a day is sufficient to take the ropeway up the hill and visit a few temples.

Getting to the ropeway was manageable relying on google maps and street signs, i recall walking through a long but mostly sleepy shopping arcade with some rather interesting shops.

Alyeska

Reaction score
I didn't go cycling or island hopping on the ferries, so half a day is sufficient to take the ropeway up the hill and visit a few temples.

Getting to the ropeway was manageable relying on google maps and street signs, i recall walking through a long but mostly sleepy shopping arcade with some rather interesting shops.

I don't intend to cycle either! Thanks for the info, just what i needed. Onimichi ramen with cats and some exploration along the temples! Guess i can fit this into half a day after arriving in hiroshima :D

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone attended Sumo tournament before? Any tips on which website is the best for gaijins to pre-order / buy?

I'll be in Tokyo 24th-27th Jan which coincides with the last few days of the January tournament (13th-27th Jan). Thinking of attending either 24th (Thurs) or 25th (Fri).

Wondering if I should pay a reseller to book for me or just wait for 8th December when ticket sales open and ownself go and place orders on the english website http://sumo.pia.jp/en/sumo01.jsp

Last edited:

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any non-conveyor sushi places to recommend around Tokyo? Not the Sushi Saito level but good quality at moderate prices.

deodorant

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Any non-conveyor sushi places to recommend around Tokyo? Not the Sushi Saito level but good quality at moderate prices.
I visited mantenzushi marunouchi last trip cos followed gaijin blogs and was satisfied. Similar value / quality as sushi dai type but without the stupid 4hr queue, thanks to reservations website lol.

¥6,480 omakase: 11 nigiri, 1 hand roll, and 14 sashimi/other small bites.

https://yoyaku.toreta.in/mantensushi/#/

Review/Pics on blog http://look-see-eat.blogspot.com/2018/03/tokyos-best-mid-range-sushi-mantenzushi-marunouchi.html

manten16.jpg

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for recommendation, shall include in my list. How many mths in advance shld i reserve? 2 months? I only scared if they will forget abt it.

And the price you paid for is for Dinner set, right?

purpleberry

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I visited mantenzushi marunouchi last trip cos followed gaijin blogs and was satisfied. Similar value / quality as sushi dai type but without the stupid 4hr queue, thanks to reservations website lol.

¥6,480 omakase: 11 nigiri, 1 hand roll, and 14 sashimi/other small bites.

https://yoyaku.toreta.in/mantensushi/#/

Review/Pics on blog http://look-see-eat.blogspot.com/2018/03/tokyos-best-mid-range-sushi-mantenzushi-marunouchi.html

manten16.jpg

Thanks. A bit pricey for me. Any good ones around Shinjuku or Shibuya?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.