Hanoi

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My impression of Vietnam Food is tasteless.

I tried in Singapore and does not really like it.

Thinking of making my first solo trip there too.
There are many wanna be vn food in Singapore which is a complete misrepresentation of their awesome dishes.

Any regular food shop in Hanoi will tell you to try vn food in Singapore only by recommendation either 1) the cooks are Vietnamese or 2) patronized regularly by vn people who are working in Singapore

Sent from Henabi virus using GAGT

kitkat2

Reaction score

vietnam food in singapore isn't vietnam food.

the worst vietnam food in vietnam still tastes better than the best vietnam food in singapore.

applefreak

Reaction score

personally that was my experience too
Vietnam was not in my list of must-go country previously coz of the vietnamese food i tried in sg
but my hcmc trip two years ago changed that

before my trip, i did a lot of research online hoping to find something 'edible' while i was there
tried both market food stalls and restaurants raved by tripadvisors
turned out the market food stalls were so good i still can 'taste' the noodles on my tongue right now!
however, the vietnamese restaurants were a disapppointment
the only exception was a french restaurant we tried as the highlight of the trip
which it really was!

so now i'm gonna try northern vietnamese food and hopefully it'll be as good as those i had in hcmc

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some of the air con Vietnamese restaurant there are mainly for the locals to entertain overseas guests.

It's more for "face" rather than taste

applefreak

Reaction score
Some of the air con Vietnamese restaurant there are mainly for the locals to entertain overseas guests.

It's more for "face" rather than taste

ah... no wonder the decor were really nice but food was :eek:
i can cook better :s13:

applefreak

Reaction score
quick question: should i change like S$100 worth of dong in sg to get to where i stay then change there (old quarters) or should i just change all in sg?
we are planning to change about S$1k

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dong of course.

USD and SGD only for backup if you ran out of cash

99.9% of the shops, stores and malls in Vietnam use Dong. I don't know when did the rumors about using USD in Vietnam as so called "preferred currency" started...

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Probably a legacy from >15 years ago, when indeed the VND was very volatile and people preferred USD from foreigners.

shadow84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Probably a legacy from >15 years ago, when indeed the VND was very volatile and people preferred USD from foreigners.

Then again, some tour guides had indicated to pay extras in USD? Such as in klook tour websites, got some tours state if want a better meal, pay extra USD$8 to guide, rather than dong equivalent.

kitkat2

Reaction score
Then again, some tour guides had indicated to pay extras in USD? Such as in klook tour websites, got some tours state if want a better meal, pay extra USD$8 to guide, rather than dong equivalent.

if you want to pay in dong, you usually can pay in dong. ask them how much and they will do conversion with their own rates. whether usd or dong is better will depend on the exchange rate they use.

in the past, dong kept devaluating. hotels and tour operators pegged their prices in a hard currency so that they wouldn't lose out to us foreign visitors.

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes agree with KitKat.

Usually the rate is 1USD to 23K or 25k vnd

So if they claim 8USD... it's around 200K and, which can get very excellent local Quan Oc meals for like 4 people.

Imo.... No point going for those fancy fancy Vietnam cuisine restaurants.

Doesn't mean it is tastier

You can always ask them what kind of restaurants and then you do your own research

Last edited:

adr77

Reaction score
Am here in Hanoi for 4 days. Using VND all the way.
Changing VND in Hanoi is better than sgp $$ changer. I changed mine at the below gold smith shop top floor. Even higher than rate u c online.

Vàng bạc Kim Linh
67 Hàng Bạc, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội, Vietnam
+84 24 3825 3649
https://goo.gl/maps/TMpbfem4bqN2

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Am here in Hanoi for 4 days. Using VND all the way.
Changing VND in Hanoi is better than sgp $$ changer. I changed mine at the below gold smith shop top floor. Even higher than rate u c online.

Vàng bạc Kim Linh
67 Hàng Bạc, Hoàn Kiếm, Hà Nội, Vietnam
+84 24 3825 3649
https://goo.gl/maps/TMpbfem4bqN2
Not all will give high rates.
Only a handful

Thanks for sharing

adr77

Reaction score
Had a great holiday in Hanoi for past 8 days. Will like to recommend Madame Linh Travel if u liked to book trips around HANOI. Was recommended by another former here n felt their service is good. Talk to their boss on cost as her staffs dun speak very well English or give better disc.

pclow59

Master Member
Reaction score
can list some of the trips u booked with them at hanoi n pricing reference?

planning for bergin trip to hanoi end of this mth...

are Saba n halong bay must visit places at hanoi?

not sure can cheong up Saba day trip back to hanoi then next day cheong halong bay day trip then back hanoi...

only can spend 5D4N there, alone... lol... any advice from bros here?

I am also going Hanoi in the Christmas period. Halong Bay can be a day trip cos a new highway only takes 2.5 hours one way, but Sapa will not be possible, as the travel time is at least 6 hours for the bus and 9 hours for the train to reach there.

Henabi

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's eventually up the mountains

Even on the highway... Plus minus 30 to 40 mins for heavy traffic

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
Just returned from Hanoi and Sapa. Sapa is more beautiful around August as I saw my friend's incredible pics on FB. Now is nearing winter and pretty cold in the early morning and at night. Will snow my guide says.
We went on private tour so it was a fairly nice experience. A lot of dishes for each meal and cruise boat to halong bay to ourselves and train cabin for ourselves too.
Oh yes, bought northface coldwear for only usd13...so much cheaper than in Sg!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.