Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Then yeah, seems like no great solution for China at the moment then.

Not great but I think solutions like Transocks and SpeedIn are still usable.

I tested Transocks free version and the speed test is like this
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2951234340
13.2Mbps to China Unicom Shanghai server. Should be okay for Tecent Video or similar, HD or even 1080p. I believe you need to pay S$4.48 to S$32.98 to get real usages based on Apple App Store in-app-purchases info.

They have the paid pro version, from Apple App Store in-app-purchases price for reference.
S$6.98 for 30days
S$10.98 for 60days
S$63.98 for 360days

I can not test SpeedIn free version since the free line is very slow, probably only good for web browsing.

SpeedIn pricing from Apple App Store:
S$8.98 for 30days
S$19.98 for 90days
S$51.98 for 360days

For my rooted Android TV box, I used China Tunnel and tested 1080p Tencent Video VIP and it is okay.

And ExpressVPN’s speed at 7Mbps should be okay for HD video as well if not that good for 1080p.

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
using expressVPN so far so good
can use for netflix usa, online shopping and secure banking transaction with a peace of mind using mozilla

https://www.expressvpn.com/blog/mozi...n-partnership/

Your bank is already encrypting your web traffic via ssl and probably use a 2 factor authentication.

The VPN only prevents your ISP from looking at your web traffic.

A VPN for privacy will work if you want to use insecure unencrypted public WiFi.

sensei83

Reaction score
I don't really use netflix. Last time my friend had viewquest broadband with freedom DNS I had my router selectively redirect BBC iPlayer traffic to his internet.

Now I just downloaded videos and movies to my Plex server and share it with some friends
Where do you download movies?
Can share the site/s & PM me?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes I'm using QQ Music VIP, it works even without VPN.
Just need to find someone reliable to top up your Alipay account and buy QQ coins from Taobao.

Thanks for the info.

Actually for iOS, you can just buy VIP 绿钻 in S$ with in-app-purchases from Apple App Store.

1 month S$2.98
3 months S$6.98
6 months S$12.98
12 months S$25.98

绿钻豪华版
1 months S$4.48
3 months S$9.98
6 months S$17.98
12 months S$38.98

I have not checked Google App Store yet.

Another potential easier way is to use WeChat. Add a Singapore Credit Card to your WeChat account and then you can receive WeChat Ang Bao in RMB. Pay S$ to your friends here in Singapore who has WeChat money and they can send you to Wechat Ang Bao in RMB. I believe you can buy QQ Points using WeChat.

But I have never tried this myself. I am happy with the free Xiami Music.

Xiami Music vip from Apple App Store
1 month S$2.98
3 months S$6.98
6 months S$10.98
12 months S$21.98

For Paid version, I believe QQ Music should be better since it has more songs.

Last edited:

oohmygod

Reaction score
Just paid for the pro version of speedin. I bought the 90 days package. Now they have the buy 1 get 1 free so it is kinda of cheap compared to others.

Not great but I think solutions like Transocks and SpeedIn are still usable.

I tested Transocks free version and the speed test is like this
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/i/2951234340
13.2Mbps to China Unicom Shanghai server. Should be okay for Tecent Video or similar, HD or even 1080p. I believe you need to pay S$4.48 to S$32.98 to get real usages based on Apple App Store in-app-purchases info.

They have the paid pro version, from Apple App Store in-app-purchases price for reference.
S$6.98 for 30days
S$10.98 for 60days
S$63.98 for 360days

I can not test SpeedIn free version since the free line is very slow, probably only good for web browsing.

SpeedIn pricing from Apple App Store:
S$8.98 for 30days
S$19.98 for 90days
S$51.98 for 360days

For my rooted Android TV box, I used China Tunnel and tested 1080p Tencent Video VIP and it is okay.

And ExpressVPN’s speed at 7Mbps should be okay for HD video as well if not that good for 1080p.

sensei83

Reaction score
Another potential easier way is to use WeChat. Add a Singapore Credit Card to your WeChat account and then you can receive WeChat Ang Bao in RMB. Pay S$ to your friends here in Singapore who has WeChat money and they can send you to Wechat Ang Bao in RMB. I believe you can buy QQ Points using WeChat.
I am using Android.
How do you add a Singapore Credit Card to WeChat account?
I thought only a China based bank card is allowed.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am using Android.
How do you add a Singapore Credit Card to WeChat account?
I thought only a China based bank card is allowed.

I have added an OCBC master card there and I was able to receive WeChat Ang Bao after doing that.

WeChat —>Me —> Wallet —> Cards —> Add a card

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just paid for the pro version of speedin. I bought the 90 days package. Now they have the buy 1 get 1 free so it is kinda of cheap compared to others.

Nice. Please share your experiences, like the speed and Tencent Video smoothness, thanks.

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tat source not reliable.
i do not see any PRC complain abt any blocking on their telegram group.
targeted blocking was normal for those well known VPN providers.

机场provider ain't those topical VPN provider.

I think from China out.. VPN no problem
Outside into China.. then got problems bah

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have added an OCBC master card there and I was able to receive WeChat Ang Bao after doing that.

WeChat —>Me —> Wallet —> Cards —> Add a card
were u in China when u setup the wallet?
there's no wallet function in most of our wechat client

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think from China out.. VPN no problem
Outside into China.. then got problems bah

nope. no issues at all. i tested once in SG. divert alicloud SG to alicloud shenzhen. then connect my mediabox to alicloud SG.

and it's not a VPN. they all use socks proxy servers. you will have total control over all ur connections by setting up traffic rules. or even blocking ads.

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nope. no issues at all. i tested once in SG. divert alicloud SG to alicloud shenzhen. then connect my mediabox to alicloud SG.

and it's not a VPN. they all use socks proxy servers. you will have total control over all ur connections by setting up traffic rules. or even blocking ads.
your own VPS?

badsector

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
your own VPS?

nope. i only host my own ssr server at home in singapore as backup.
the provider i using costs me rmb60 a yr only. and they have ss/ssr/v2ray/Cisco Anyconnect.
Thus i dun have urge to own my VPS at the moment.

if u interested, there's many step-by-step video guide on youtube. especially for google cloud now. Since google gives 1 yr free usage.

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
nope. i only host my own ssr server at home in singapore as backup.
the provider i using costs me rmb60 a yr only. and they have ss/ssr/v2ray/Cisco Anyconnect.
Thus i dun have urge to own my VPS at the moment.

if u interested, there's many step-by-step video guide on youtube. especially for google cloud now. Since google gives 1 yr free usage.
thanks for the inputs sir..
but sound kinda difficult for me..
this is the 1st time i am hearing the word SSR..

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.