Android TV Box

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have been watching YT reviews on several Android boxes and did a search on TB and found the following:

RK3328 H96 Max+ 迷你电视4G+32G 安卓8.1 = RMB 240/5 = S$48

TANIX TX3 MAX 蓝牙 2G/16G S905W = RMB 190/5 = S$38

Can I conclude that for my first Android TV Box, the 2 above will be ok choices? Only $10 bucks difference, TB prices before domestic & international shipping.

The second one is okay, make sure it is of Tanix brand with Tanix logo on top of the box. The price is about right.

The first one is a generic box and not recommended for 1st time buyer unless you are good at Taobao and can deal with return shipment back to China. The price is a bit too LOW to me so I am not so sure what is the catch.

redglue23

Reaction score
The second one is okay, make sure it is of Tanix brand with Tanix logo on top of the box. The price is about right.

The first one is a generic box and not recommended for 1st time buyer unless you are good at Taobao and can deal with return shipment back to China. The price is a bit too LOW to me so I am not so sure what is the catch.

Bro, the H96 Max model I quoted is the cheaper model. Think there are 3 variant of H96 Max.

squarepipe

Reaction score
U guys should stick to the mibox. At least with it there is still software updates. Those unbranded box it's like striking lottery if u get a software update.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Bro, the H96 Max model I quoted is the cheaper model. Think there are 3 variant of H96 Max.

I know. The RK3399 model is of much higher price. Then the RK3328 based models (H1, H2, etc) are still of usually of higher cost than you quote (more around RMB300), again these are generic boxes and from what I see not popular in Taobao at all (not good brand to buy inside China, geared toward foreign market, 外贸盒子) so it is hard to tell it is good or bad from the ratings.

You can of course try your luck...

I myself tried 4 times on generic box, 3 times okay, 1 time failed (not per specifications, not what I wanted to buy, no point return through Taobao either due to shipping cost).

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U guys should stick to the mibox. At least with it there is still software updates. Those unbranded box it's like striking lottery if u get a software update.

That is a good advice, especially for first time buyers. Mi Box and Mi Box S are good buy.

On the other hand, the life span of a lower end Android TV Box is like 2-3 years and FW update may not be that important for majority of the use cases as long it is of Android 6 and above.

As for Mi Box, Oreo updates kind of ruined the good name and Xiaomi has released multiple versions trying to fix the problem. The advice from “New TV Box SG” is not to update to Oreo and stick to older 6.0 version for now.

Xiaomi pulled the updates but it is said they have released new versions just a few weeks ago. Hopefully it is getting better now.

I personally do not quite like Mi Box because I have my own Chromecast and I has no interests in Netflix at all.

Also I like rooted box for the possibility of running Termux rooted packages (libusb in particular) and China Tunnel.

Last edited:

ktyandkyc

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
That is a good advice, especially for first time buyers. Mi Box and Mi Box S are good buy.

On the other hand, the life span of a lower end Android TV Box is like 2-3 years and FW update may not be that important for majority of the use cases as long it is of Android 6 and above.

As for Mi Box, Oreo updates kind of ruined the good name and Xiaomi has released multiple versions trying to fix the problem. The advice from “New TV Box SG” is not to update to Oreo and stick to older 6.0 version for now.

Xiaomi pulled the updates but it is said they have released new versions just a few weeks ago. Hopefully it is getting better now.

I personally do not quite like Mi Box because I have my own Chromecast and I has no interests in Netflix at all.

Also I like rooted box for the possibility of running Termux rooted packages (libusb in particular) and China Tunnel.
Sorry just wondering what r the use cases for ur TV box so can understand ur choice of boxes

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sorry just wondering what r the use cases for ur TV box so can understand ur choice of boxes

First is to play with Arm Linux — goal achieved successfully with my X96 Mini and H96 Pro + model. Still following up with mainline Linux usage on Amlogic S905x/905w and S912. On going with the RK3328 boxes waiting for right dtb to use.

Secondly is to play with rooted Android box, including using Termux to run Linux for some testing purposes. Goal achieved. Still exploring Android.

I am part of the admin team of several small open source projects, where I play the role of testing across different OS like Linux, Windows and previously also MAC OS X and BSDs. In one of the popular projects (kind of essential package in Linux, pretty popular under Windows and Mac OS X), we have not very good Android support so that is one of my objectives to learn to use Android. I can not code but pretty good at messing with different OS stuff and building simple applications. I have access to HW stuff for testing purpose.

The above two use cases are not the same as 99% of the users here.

Thirdly is to play with different apps in Android TV boxes (actually also Android phones) mainly for Mandarin/Cantonese/Hokkien entertainment, including different apps without VPN and apps with VPN, this should be similar to the uses cases of quite some users here. Not interested in Netflix or things like that.

I have created a thread about Android Phone Chinese Entertainment apps and another thread on iPhone Entertainment apps.

Last edited:

ktyandkyc

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
First is to play with Arm Linux — goal achieved successfully with my X96 Mini and H96 Pro + model. Still following up with mainline Linux usage on Amlogic S905x/905w and S912. On going with the RK3328 boxes waiting for right dtb to use.

Secondly is to play with rooted Android box, including using Termux to run Linux for some testing purposes. Goal achieved. Still exploring Android.

I am part of the admin team of several open source projects, where I play the role of testing across different OS like Linux, Windows and previously also MAC OS X and BSDs, but we have not very good Android support so that is one of my objectives to learn to use Android. I can not code but pretty good at messing with different stuff and I have access to HW stuff for testing purpose.

The above two use cases are not the same as 99% of the users here.

Thirdly is to play with different apps in Android TV boxes (actually also Android phones) mainly for Mandarin/Cantonese/Hokkien entertainment, including different apps without VPN and apps with VPN, this should be similar to the uses cases of quite some users here. Not interested in Netflix or things like that.

I have created a thread about Android Phone Chinese Entertainment apps and another thread on iPhone Entertainment apps.
Wow amazing!! Thanks for sharing man no wonder u r armed with so much knowledge!

raintr33

Reaction score
Hi bros,
I have a Minix box but the OK button on my A2 remote is getting unresponsive and I am thinking of getting another remote.

Can anyone recommend a good remote?
Was looking at the MP3 Air Mouse remote
https://s.lazada.sg/s.Y7lj

Has anyone tried this?

Posted from PCWX using ALP-L29

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi bros,
I have a Minix box but the OK button on my A2 remote is getting unresponsive and I am thinking of getting another remote.

Can anyone recommend a good remote?
Was looking at the MP3 Air Mouse remote
https://s.lazada.sg/s.Y7lj

Has anyone tried this?

Why not Minix Neo A2 Lite?

MP3 never heard, more popular generic air remote is MX3 or MX3 Pro.

raintr33

Reaction score

I find the Minix A2 button squish, prefer something harder like those TV remote.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

raintr33

Reaction score

The MX3 looks good too, I like it even more that it use normal batts and not use USB charging.

raintr33

Reaction score
The other alternative is to use a keyword/mouse combo and then cheap remote. I am using this combination rather than my generic TX3 air mouse.

Do you use the keyboard+ mouse on a table? I find it not so convenient on a sofa.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you use the keyboard+ mouse on a table? I find it not so convenient on a sofa.

Haha my use case is rather atypical, my Android boxes are connected to my 24 inch Dell monitor.

My TV has SingTel TV, Chromecast 1st gen and Apple TV 3rd gen connected to it. TV is mostly for the kids.

But you can put a small table between the sofa and the TV.

raintr33

Reaction score
Haha my use case is rather atypical, my Android boxes are connected to my 24 inch Dell monitor.

My TV has SingTel TV, Chromecast 1st gen and Apple TV 3rd gen connected to it. TV is mostly for the kids.

But you can put a small table between the sofa and the TV.

Thks for sharing.
Think I may just go for MX3 since its not too costly.

c1steady

Reaction score
For Nvidia shield, if it's just loading Kodi, i worried that I will be underutilizing the box. Beside really gaming, may I know what other stuff that ppl typically do to maximise the cost paid for the shield?

Nividia shield is very smooth even if u use YouTube. I had those $40 box and the experience is a vastly different. You get what u paid.

Sent from Google using GAGT

Sambuca78

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thks for sharing.
Think I may just go for MX3 since its not too costly.

I using this. Got it last week for around $7.45 after coins and voucher discount.

Https://shopee.sg/keepdreaming.sg/1527145285?version=4e4cfdff416c69592ab42d56cc6f5735

Not too bad, just need a while to get used to the mouse navigation.

Total 5 learning buttons (1 main + 4 small buttons) use it to on/off the android box, tv, dvb-t2 box and change tv source.

Not able to use the voice commend but i guess Tanix does not have voice search in the first place.

squarepipe

Reaction score
I think the mibox is a much better Chromecast replacement. Not only can it do 4k, it's also much more responsive compared to a Chromecast and run android TV stuff as well.

If u get those non androidtv os boxes you have to get a seperate Chromecast which is not convinent.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.