Android TV Box

ktyandkyc

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nividia shield is very smooth even if u use YouTube. I had those $40 box and the experience is a vastly different. You get what u paid.

Sent from Google using GAGT
Thanks thanks! I'm hooting one from Newegg, but sadly no controller.. my colleague say Minix u9 also good

squarepipe

Reaction score
Android TV name tanted with the likes of piracy liao :s13: use to be a good android TV experience with the official device like mi box or Nvidia shield.

Now ppl get those no brand box just for pirated streams and spoil the image of android TV.

ktyandkyc

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Android TV name tanted with the likes of piracy liao :s13: use to be a good android TV experience with the official device like mi box or Nvidia shield.

Now ppl get those no brand box just for pirated streams and spoil the image of android TV.
But it's the same as using official box like nvidia rite.. it's the apps that u install

squarepipe

Reaction score
But it's the same as using official box like nvidia rite.. it's the apps that u install

The Nvidia shield got completly different experience with the androidTV interface not phone skin launcher u get with no brand box, Google assistant integration, ability to play DRM content like netflix etc, actual Chromecast built in, and actual software updates (from android 6 to 8 ) not the 1 or 2 time updates u get with those off brand box.

ktyandkyc

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The Nvidia shield got completly different experience with the androidTV interface not phone skin launcher u get with no brand box, Google assistant integration, ability to play DRM content like netflix etc, actual Chromecast built in, and actual software updates (from android 6 to 8 ) not the 1 or 2 time updates u get with those off brand box.
Icic but I mean (not that I'm a detractor of nvidia) that ppl can still use the box to watch pirated streams as well! Hahaha

squarepipe

Reaction score
Icic but I mean (not that I'm a detractor of nvidia) that ppl can still use the box to watch pirated streams as well! Hahaha

I am not a fan of those streams unless they are live tv. Those streams are super low bitrate and looks like crap on a 4k TV. I personally put in the effort to torrent high bitrate videos to my Nas and use Kodi or Plex to play on my TV box.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am not a fan of those streams unless they are live tv. Those streams are super low bitrate and looks like crap on a 4k TV. I personally put in the effort to torrent high bitrate videos to my Nas and use Kodi or Plex to play on my TV box.

That is true, most of the live TV apps do not give 1080p let alone 4K (many are not even 720p). So yes you need to manage expectations. That being said SingTel TV and StarHub TV are also mainly only 720p/1080i.

On the other hand to me torrent downloading of licensed content is really problematic (or just say illegal) in terms of legality, the court can sue you based on the request of the rights holder.

Streaming is a rather okay (or a bit gray) in terms of legality. The rights holder will sue the illegal IPTV providers or order ISP to block them (even to sue the market place provider like Google or Apple) but not the user of the streaming apps.

Disclaimer: IANAL so take the above as a grain of salt.

Ref: Singapore ISP ordered to block torrent sites

https://torrentfreak.com/singapore-isps-block-53-pirate-sites-following-mpaa-legal-action-180521/

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

As for VOD, there are legal programs providing 1080p or 4K Streaming and people are willing to pay, problem is that they are Geo-blocked. So you have to use VPN and pay for subscription. People here are doing that to access US version of Netflix or other apps like Tencent Video In China through VPN. Netflix 4k is not easy though. Tencent Video VIP access is mostly 1080p only.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
On the other hand to me torrent downloading of licensed content is really problematic (or just say illegal) in terms of legality, the court can sue you based on the request of the rights holder.

Streaming is a rather okay (or a bit gray) in terms of legality. The rights holder will sue the illegal IPTV providers or order ISP to block them (even to sue the market place provider like Google or Apple) but not the user of the streaming apps.

Disclaimer: IANAL so take the above as a grain of salt.

Ref: Singapore ISP ordered to block torrent sites

https://torrentfreak.com/singapore-i...action-180521/

So as long as there isn't a way to trace the individual that download the torrent, the IP holder won't be successful in getting compensation form the copyright infinger.

Last time the IP holder of Dallas buyers club sent letters demanding compensation form the copyright infinger our court threw out the case as it claims the IP address is insufficient evidence to trace the individual who download content illegally.

c1steady

Reaction score
How much do you pay for the box and the shipping back fee?

I do not even bother to return my S$30 RK3239 box. I wanted to buy a Allwinner H3 box (not good either for Streaming , maybe worse than RK3229, but good to run Linux), unfortunately the seller shipped the wrong version to me. I just kept it since it still works.
Pay the box for $40. Decided not to ship back as I think the shipping fee is more than $15.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pay the box for $40. Decided not to ship back as I think the shipping fee is more than $15.

Same here my box costs less than S$35 and decided not to ship back. That is the risk of buying through Taobao. Now the cost of Android TV boxes in Lazada/Shopee is actually decent if you know the market well and it is easier to return.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So as long as there isn't a way to trace the individual that download the torrent, the IP holder won't be successful in getting compensation form the copyright infinger.

Last time the IP holder of Dallas buyers club sent letters demanding compensation form the copyright infinger our court threw out the case as it claims the IP address is insufficient evidence to trace the individual who download content illegally.
Actually Pay TV service provider should knock down their price. If price is cheap then no need for such TV box.

ktyandkyc

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It should be better than the older one because of the added AC wifi support. That being said it seems not so easily available in Singapore.

NVidia Shield TV is at a different class than Mi Box and if the cost is not a concern by all means get it. If cost is a concern then get Mi Box if you need official Google certified Android TV.

For those who do not need official Google certified Android TV, another option is the FireTV devices from Amazon, pretty easy to side load apps from what I read.

After the above, you can also consider non-Android choices like Roku and Apple TV (for Apple device users).

Google Chromecast is another good device to have even though it is built-in for Official Android TV device like the Mi Box.

After the above, then it comes to generic Android OS based TV box where you can try better brand like Zidoo, Beelink or Minix if you do not want to venture with lower end boxes.

List of TOP 10 Android TV box review
https://youtu.be/HGs8yF5VOvU
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k3_2LBJDzj6JPGw2lADwTi2qvZQpKKy6L4mO7jLm1LQ/htmlview

Nvidia Shield is No 1 and Mi Box is No 4.
No 2 and 3 are for people who want to play a bit of game and big Kodi build and do not need Netflix.

Reading the whole thread since it's v informative.. just wondering what's the difference between official andoird n generic like miniz

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Reading the whole thread since it's v informative.. just wondering what's the difference between official andoird n generic like miniz

For Starhub streaming box the image is very clear compare to other box. Other box live TV is in SD and no HD but claim to be in HD. SH and ST should knock down their price then people will sign up.

gregory_choo

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For Starhub streaming box the image is very clear compare to other box. Other box live TV is in SD and no HD but claim to be in HD. SH and ST should knock down their price then people will sign up.

Not true.

The difference is due to wrong app you used on other boxes. or you are cheated.

garbage in, garbage out.

squarepipe

Reaction score

In short official box run the the androidTV os and not a tablet version of android. Official boxes also does Chromecast, DRM for 4k netflix etc, Google assistant built in and have the curated play store.

Unless u are a geek and want a rooted box for installing adblock and stuff or want to run Linux on your TV box stick to the official boxes (mibox & Nvidia shield)

squarepipe

Reaction score

That's because the box is not target at u. It's target at pros who know how to sideload heir own apps and not depend on preinstalled garbage. (Or idiots who got cheeted by the salesperson advertising)

If figuring what and how to sideload apps to your android TV box sounds like hacker man stuff to you, you are not the target market for those box.

Medicated Oil

Honorary Member
Reaction score

SG Inc is built on greed and more greed.
Your request is not possible under the Empress.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.