Advice needed slow internet speed

Exclusive10

Master Member
Reaction score
Am not familiar with IT stuffs, so decided to pop up here to seek some advice on my recent slow internet speed. Just changed a new desktop, and network connection bcame v slow, to the extend it cannot play youtube video in HD smoothly. I did not do any alteration to my network , but after changing a new PC , slow connection problem surfaced. Wierd thing is there's no issue with wifi, my phone and tablet now load faster than my desktop. Am on the 1gb fibre singtel network.

What can be the issue of it?

My speed test result as follow:
7847008352.png

Home PC setup as follow:
PaED3Zz.jpg

Old school power adaptor: (200mbps)
rCK23E6.jpg

Recently, Singtel gave me this router. Can i use to replace the power adaptor and link it to my router?
vrhtSop.jpg

Appreciate any advice given, if you need teamviewer to help me, i am v please.

hotsoup16

Reaction score
Can u connect your PC directly to the router and test out the test? Alternatively any wireless card in your PC which you can connect wireless to the router?

Exclusive10

Master Member
Reaction score
Can u connect your PC directly to the router and test out the test? Alternatively any wireless card in your PC which you can connect wireless to the router?

anyway to check the wireless card inbuild in pc? i see no 2 atenna sticking out. apologize, am pretty weak in these.

thks for ur reply. unable to connect directly to router, due to electric wiring. if can wld have done that. my PC is just 2.5m away from the router.

Exclusive10

Master Member
Reaction score
The speed test is ur computer desktop connected test via home plugs? Is your home plug bottleneck I think.

Try not to connect your plugs to power extensions. Connect direct to the power outlet.

New router cannot replace your plug.

yes done via desktop connected via homeplug.

cannot direct to power outlet, limited plugs and old format house. i ask some IT guy from my company , he says new router can replace plug. just need do settting ... FML ...

my tablet now run smoother than desktop. is not an issue b4 i change desktop... haiz, so sian gotta troubleshoot all these :(

hotsoup16

Reaction score
You can check in device manager or network connection to see whether the network adaptor is enable

Been a. Mac user for the past years and lost touch with Windows based machine liao

anyway to check the wireless card inbuild in pc? i see no 2 atenna sticking out. apologize, am pretty weak in these.

thks for ur reply. unable to connect directly to router, due to electric wiring. if can wld have done that. my PC is just 2.5m away from the router.

Exclusive10

Master Member
Reaction score
You can check in device manager or network connection to see whether the network adaptor is enable

Been a. Mac user for the past years and lost touch with Windows based machine liao

Name: Ethernet
Description: Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical address (MAC): f4:b5:20:0e:71:a0
Maximum transmission unit: 1500
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 100/100 (Mbps)
DHCP enabled: Yes
DHCP servers: 192.168.1.254
DHCP lease obtained: ‎Sunday, ‎December ‎2, ‎2018 9:59:17 PM
DHCP lease expires: ‎Monday, ‎December ‎3, ‎2018 1:59:17 AM
IPv4 address: 192.168.1.59/24
IPv6 address: fe80::d022:21ee:196e:bd7%10/64
Default gateway: 192.168.1.254
DNS servers: 192.168.1.254
DNS domain name: singnet.com.sg
DNS connection suffix: singnet.com.sg
DNS search suffix list:
Network name: Network 3
Network category: Public
Connectivity (IPv4/IPv6): Connected to Internet / Connected to unknown network

anything from here ?

giraffey

Reaction score
Name: Ethernet
Description: Realtek PCIe GbE Family Controller
Physical address (MAC): f4:b5:20:0e:71:a0
Maximum transmission unit: 1500
Link speed (Receive/Transmit): 100/100 (Mbps)
DHCP enabled: Yes
DHCP servers: 192.168.1.254
DHCP lease obtained: ‎Sunday, ‎December ‎2, ‎2018 9:59:17 PM
DHCP lease expires: ‎Monday, ‎December ‎3, ‎2018 1:59:17 AM
IPv4 address: 192.168.1.59/24
IPv6 address: fe80::d022:21ee:196e:bd7%10/64
Default gateway: 192.168.1.254
DNS servers: 192.168.1.254
DNS domain name: singnet.com.sg
DNS connection suffix: singnet.com.sg
DNS search suffix list:
Network name: Network 3
Network category: Public
Connectivity (IPv4/IPv6): Connected to Internet / Connected to unknown network

anything from here ?

your linkspeed is not configured to gigabyte. does your homeplug support 1gb connectivity?

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes done via desktop connected via homeplug.

cannot direct to power outlet, limited plugs and old format house. i ask some IT guy from my company , he says new router can replace plug. just need do settting ... FML ...

my tablet now run smoother than desktop. is not an issue b4 i change desktop... haiz, so sian gotta troubleshoot all these :(

You have to uh, if not the speed sure drop jia lat one hahaha :s13:

your linkspeed is not configured to gigabyte. does your homeplug support 1gb connectivity?

the aztech 200mbps one from aeons ago, only support 100mbps fast ethernet, no gigabit confirm.

Exclusive10

Master Member
Reaction score
You have to uh, if not the speed sure drop jia lat one hahaha :s13:

the aztech 200mbps one from aeons ago, only support 100mbps fast ethernet, no gigabit confirm.

am i able to use the new router to replace the home plug ? some say yes some say no. just find it wierd, wifi device (phone, tablet etc run faster than desktop)

or what device can i buy to replace the plug or solve the slow connection issue?

Last edited:

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
am i able to use the new router to replace the home plug ? some say yes some say no. just find it wierd, wifi device (phone, tablet etc run faster than desktop)

or what device can i buy to replace the plug or solve the slow connection issue?

I forgotten to reply that, singtel router, I don't think can leh, if you have some router that can function as media bridge/client mode, yes you can connect your pc to the router for it work as a receiver. SingTel router I really think cannot, too locked down liao. :(

Actually, skip all the trouble, just get a good Wi-Fi receiver can liao, your homeplug should be EOL already, that one from 4-5 years ago model hahaha, remove the plugs and get a wifi adapter can liao bro

Exclusive10

Master Member
Reaction score
I forgotten to reply that, singtel router, I don't think can leh, if you have some router that can function as media bridge/client mode, yes you can connect your pc to the router for it work as a receiver. SingTel router I really think cannot, too locked down liao. :(

Actually, skip all the trouble, just get a good Wi-Fi receiver can liao, your homeplug should be EOL already, that one from 4-5 years ago model hahaha, remove the plugs and get a wifi adapter can liao bro

Thank you for ur explaination.

can share good wifi adapter for my situation? not need to overkill. is it those that built inside CPU and have few atenna sticking out those kind? does it come in pair as well or i just connect wifi adapter to main router?

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thank you for ur explaination.

can share good wifi adapter for my situation? not need to overkill. is it those that built inside CPU and have few atenna sticking out those kind? does it come in pair as well or i just connect wifi adapter to main router?

No prob bro, can help, I will try to help!
What's your requirement? Play game or what? If you play game, want convenience, can buy those Wi-Fi adapters, can look at USB-AC68 by ASUS or DWA-192 by D-Link, I using the D-Link one, my desktop can hit close to 700-800mbps on Wi-Fi lol :s13: Internal one, I feel mafan la, must open up casing and screw in but my friend is using, the reception quite power, he bought the PCE-AC88 by Asus.

hk7310

Reaction score
What's your requirement? Play game or what? If you play game, want convenience, can buy those Wi-Fi adapters, can look at USB-AC68 by ASUS or DWA-192 by D-Link, I using the D-Link one, my desktop can hit close to 700-800mbps on Wi-Fi lol :s13: Internal one, I feel mafan la, must open up casing and screw in but my friend is using, the reception quite power, he bought the PCE-AC88 by Asus.

Since Kashix has a good experience on DLink SWA-192, approx. 700-800Mbps on wifi. I suggest to take this for mobility, enable you to adjust slightly for a better reception.

Exclusive10

Master Member
Reaction score
hey today when i open up the network adaptor manager, beside my old power plug, realize there are many things inside. are they suppose to be there? are they the cause for my slow internet?

abt 8 'WAN Miniport" with different IP, SSTP etc, network monitor etc.

Exclusive10

Master Member
Reaction score

great... really appreciate ur help in narrowing down so much. hahaa.. u choose to very different shape for me, thank you. haha either spherical or long rectangular... yeap likewise felt troublesome to do up the internal one, basically i can't do as well. lol...

with the wifi adapters i don't need a pair to work is it? different from power plug, am i right to say i just connect it to my desktop and pair it with my router will do?

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
great... really appreciate ur help in narrowing down so much. hahaa.. u choose to very different shape for me, thank you. haha either spherical or long rectangular... yeap likewise felt troublesome to do up the internal one, basically i can't do as well. lol...

with the wifi adapters i don't need a pair to work is it? different from power plug, am i right to say i just connect it to my desktop and pair it with my router will do?

Ur right bro, plug in install driver and connect will do :)

dunkmycar

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ur right bro, plug in install driver and connect will do :)

I'm having a similar problem with my Aztech Homeplug. They are around 8 yrs old and have a pair in living room and bedroom. Now WIFI in my bedroom is very weak, handphone cannot connect well to WIFI in bedroom. PC also slow like TS.

If I get D-Link DWA192, it wont solve the problem of slow WIFI on handphone right? What's the best way out of this? Get a new pair of homeplugs?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm having a similar problem with my Aztech Homeplug. They are around 8 yrs old and have a pair in living room and bedroom. Now WIFI in my bedroom is very weak, handphone cannot connect well to WIFI in bedroom. PC also slow like TS.

If I get D-Link DWA192, it wont solve the problem of slow WIFI on handphone right? What's the best way out of this? Get a new pair of homeplugs?

You can get a new pair of homepug from D-Link or TP-Link, nothing comes from Aztech is really good now as far as I gathered. Get those with Gigabit port. And get those with the wireless function. Connect the first unit (without wireless) to your router, put the second unit (with wireless function) in your bedroom. Connect the PC to the Gigabit port. And your mobile can connect to the wifi provided by the second unit.

The new popular thing is WiFi Mesh if you want good WiFi coverage and speed. But you have to pay more.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.