MoCA Network Setup | Ethernet over TV cable

mqseries88

Reaction score
Both setups will work. You will want to place a switch when you want more lan points or wifi points such as AP or wifi mesh after the moca adapter. It will reduce network latency compared to setting up only repeater or mesh wifi. Important factor for online gamers. If there is only a single lan device to connect, you could just directly link to moca adapter.

This is a very useful info. I'm facing the the cabletv is going to be replaced by FibreTV problem. My place is wired for Cat6 at least but i didn't expect that for the same cable to carry FibreTV and internet needs a somewhat complicated vlan setup (i've explored the forums but really couldn't find something that has both internet and fibretv on same cable with multiple fibretv set top boxes).

Thus after locating the starhub cable entry point in my riser, i realise that converting all my cabletv coax points into a secondary network for FibreTv is possible! cheers.

Need your expert advice on how i can get multiple fibretv set top boxes to work on same moca network?

eg. Can this work? Looks weird to me

Coax with POE Filter---Splitter-----Coax1---- FibreTV SetTop Box
************************-----Coax2---- FibreTV SetTop Box
************************-----Coax3----FibreTV ONT-----FibrePt

Or must I put a switch after all the Coax1/2/3.

Coax with POE Filter---Splitter-----Coax1--Switch-- FibreTV SetTop Box
************************-----Coax2--Switch--- FibreTV SetTop Box
************************-----Coax3--Switch---FibreTV ONT-----FibrePt

coldkey

Reaction score
This is a very useful info. I'm facing the the cabletv is going to be replaced by FibreTV problem. My place is wired for Cat6 at least but i didn't expect that for the same cable to carry FibreTV and internet needs a somewhat complicated vlan setup (i've explored the forums but really couldn't find something that has both internet and fibretv on same cable with multiple fibretv set top boxes).

Thus after locating the starhub cable entry point in my riser, i realise that converting all my cabletv coax points into a secondary network for FibreTv is possible! cheers.

Need your expert advice on how i can get multiple fibretv set top boxes to work on same moca network?

eg. Can this work? Looks weird to me

Coax with POE Filter---Splitter-----Coax1---- FibreTV SetTop Box
************************-----Coax2---- FibreTV SetTop Box
************************-----Coax3----FibreTV ONT-----FibrePt

Or must I put a switch after all the Coax1/2/3.

Coax with POE Filter---Splitter-----Coax1--Switch-- FibreTV SetTop Box
************************-----Coax2--Switch--- FibreTV SetTop Box
************************-----Coax3--Switch---FibreTV ONT-----FibrePt

Basically, you can think of the Coax cable as a switch. If you only connect FibreTV ONT port and FibreTV devices, you only need the MoCA to Ethernet Converters. The switch is only required for VLAN configuration to separate the normal network traffic from the FibreTV network.

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not that important lah. Only to very few users. The StarHub Cable User will most likely go to Fibre TV, or go to the Streaming Box, or jump ship to SingTel TV, or forgo StarHub/SingTel TV altogether.

As for the Ethernet infrastructure, it is good to have and MOCA is one alternative solution. But most people are okay with no Ethernet infrastructure across the house, WiFi Mesh is the way to go. Wireless repeater and power line are good enough for some too like I.

So in the end, even though MOCA is good, it is only a very small niche.

The main affected people will those in landed running 3 phase power. Wifi mesh is dodgy in larger multistorey houses, and power line devices do not work well across electrical phases.

But yes I agree with you that in the end, it is a very small niche.

I think it is important to educate potential users though, as messing with the coaxial network can cause disruptions to users still relying on the system from now to signal cut.

Most important to install is probably the point of entry signal filter that prevents MOCA frequencies from propagating to other users of the network.

The MOCA adapters available on the internet do NOT come with this vital part.

The other bit is less important, which is to properly terminate any cables left dangling - especially if it is the incoming cable that a homeowner might disconnect to avoid installation of the PoE filter.

DragonFire

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Basically, you can think of the Coax cable as a switch. If you only connect FibreTV ONT port and FibreTV devices, you only need the MoCA to Ethernet Converters. The switch is only required for VLAN configuration to separate the normal network traffic from the FibreTV network.

Ahem! Hub. Not switch. Hub. :)

cybertech

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Don't know this MoCA 2.0 Ethernet to Coax Adapter will have good discount price this coming Black Friday sale or not :D

1 Ghz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just bought 2 Motorola MM1000 off Ebay; direct adapter-adapter connection showed 940mbps when running iPerf3 with 20 parallel requests.

After deploying the adapters in the house with 2 levels of 1 GHz splitters (9 cable points) with CATV amplifier and POE filter before the 1st level splitter, iPerf3 shows 830Mbps.

I am wondering if the lack of terminators at unused cable points is causing the loss of 110Mbps.

Has anyone seen bandwidth improvements after terminating unused cable points? :o

1 Ghz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

jazz2005

Master Member
Reaction score
A quick question to all the gurus here. I opened up the Starhub box in my riser and found what looks like the splitter as shown in the pic. I assume Starhub's incoming signal is the black cable and the other white cables (used to be) are to the various coaxial outlets, so it is correct to install the PoE filter in between the splitter and the black cable? Thanks in advance.

Hiy0NLh.jpg

Last edited:

jowy_ham

Reaction score
A quick question to all the gurus here. I opened up the Starhub box in my riser and found what looks like the splitter as shown in the pic. I assume Starhub's incoming signal is the black cable and the other white cables (used to be) are to the various coaxial outlets, so it is correct to install the PoE filter in between the splitter and the black cable? Thanks in advance.

Hiy0NLh.jpg
Yes but how come there are so many outgoing white cables (white cables are suppose to go into your unit), I counted 6 white cables ? Yours is how many rooms flat ?

jazz2005

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes but how come there are so many outgoing white cables (white cables are suppose to go into your unit), I counted 6 white cables ? Yours is how many rooms flat ?

Thanks for confirming where to add the PoE filter. My place is a cluster terrace with a total of 7 coaxial outlet, 1 in each of 5 rooms and 1 in the living room and 1 in the basement.

jowy_ham

Reaction score
Thanks for confirming where to add the PoE filter. My place is a cluster terrace with a total of 7 coaxial outlet, 1 in each of 5 rooms and 1 in the living room and 1 in the basement.

That explains why the more than usual number of white cables, Thanks.

stevensp

Reaction score
recently came across this thread and was intrigued by the idea, since I have been using Powerline and always have frequent DC problems.

I'm staying in Punggol and I have checked my riser. There is no SCV box or any sign of the coaxial cable coming into my house. I believed it must be hidden within the house. Therefore, I am not able to install the POE filter.

I was in communication with a seller in Carousell who affirmed that I am still able to use MoCA despite not installing the filter. He said that with Starhub discontinuing Cable TV and Broadband, it is unlikely that my MoCA setup will affect my neighbours.

Is it true?

weeza77

Reaction score
recently came across this thread and was intrigued by the idea, since I have been using Powerline and always have frequent DC problems.

I'm staying in Punggol and I have checked my riser. There is no SCV box or any sign of the coaxial cable coming into my house. I believed it must be hidden within the house. Therefore, I am not able to install the POE filter.

I was in communication with a seller in Carousell who affirmed that I am still able to use MoCA despite not installing the filter. He said that with Starhub discontinuing Cable TV and Broadband, it is unlikely that my MoCA setup will affect my neighbours.

Is it true?

I'm planning to migrate to MoCA too from power line.
In your case, need to disconnect the incoming Starhub cable if you plan to use without the filter, still need to terminate the disconnected connection though.

stevensp

Reaction score
I'm planning to migrate to MoCA too from power line.
In your case, need to disconnect the incoming Starhub cable if you plan to use without the filter, still need to terminate the disconnected connection though.

Cannot find any cable coming into my house :s22::s22::s22::s22:

jowy_ham

Reaction score

Is it true?
Which Blk Bro cos I'm also in Punggol

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score

Is it true?

Have to be careful. Even though starhub going to discontinue soon, IMDA regard this MoCA thing as illegal*. One can still be caught for selling and using it. So to avoid detection, I suggest to have a filter or disconnect entirely away from the external network.

*Had emailed to ask

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have to be careful. Even though starhub going to discontinue soon, IMDA regard this MoCA thing as illegal*. One can still be caught for selling and using it. So to avoid detection, I suggest to have a filter or disconnect entirely away from the external network.

*Had emailed to ask

Interesting to know this. What does IMDA say about this MOCA thingy? Is it because that the mentioned product has not passed (or at least registered) local regulation testing?

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1 set of moca is more ex then pulling cable from hall to room. Just get contractor and get it over with. :o

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score
Interesting to know this. What does IMDA say about this MOCA thingy? Is it because that the mentioned product has not passed (or at least registered) local regulation testing?

Quote below from IMDA:
As you are aware, IMDA regulates the use of telecommunication equipment based on Technical Specifications published by IMDA. Equipment to be sold for local use shall comply with the relevant IMDA standards and subject to equipment registration with IMDA. Multimedia over Coax Alliance (MoCA) technology is another form of home networking solution over coaxial cable. However, the current IMDA’s Technical Specification for Coaxial Cable Home Networking (IMDA TS CCHN) does not cover the technical requirements for MoCA standards.

As such, non-compliant equipment to the current IMDA TS CCHN is not allowed to be sold and used in Singapore.

Last updated IMDA TS CCHN is on year 2016,
can read more in: https://www.imda.gov.sg/-/media/imd...ication-standards/line/imda-ts-cchn.pdf?la=en

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.