Nvidia Shield TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh. there's no 4K on local Netflix?
thinking whether to get the Shield TV from Amazon - there's a sale now

I do not use Netflix myself but sure there will be 4K in local Netflix.

It is just the VPN speed may limit the possibility of 4K Streaming from US version of Netflix.

wilflare

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
thinking of getting this to cut the cord
- does the Google Assistant work well?
- does StarHub Go and TVB Anywhere work well? (parents want to keep the VV Drama)
- I just need to get the HDhomerun to act as tuner for local shows?

realised my TV can't access local channels unless I get antenna :/

ktyandkyc

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I do not use Netflix myself but sure there will be 4K in local Netflix.

It is just the VPN speed may limit the possibility of 4K Streaming from US version of Netflix.
Thanks thanks! Think I just give up the idea of Netflix lol v troublesome

ktyandkyc

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I do not think so. It is a HW device, network TV tuner for you to watch local free-to-air TV like CH5/CH8/CNA/etc.

eh sorry, so using the hdhomerun app, i will be able to see foreign channels (free) via the HW and box?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
eh sorry, so using the hdhomerun app, i will be able to see foreign channels (free) via the HW and box?

No ideas why you get this conclusions from what I said. I said free-to-air Local channels like CH5/CH8/CNA/etc...

Anyway I do not have this Homerun stuff and I do not know if they offer foreign channels or not.

Still for apps, go to local Facebook group “New TV Box SG” to get more useful information and tips.

TopGun

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Can anyone check if the shield is able to download starhub go app?

ktyandkyc

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No ideas why you get this conclusions from what I said. I said free-to-air Local channels like CH5/CH8/CNA/etc...

Anyway I do not have this Homerun stuff and I do not know if they offer foreign channels or not.

Still for apps, go to local Facebook group “New TV Box SG” to get more useful information and tips.
Icic I thought it would an addition to local channels haha ps

RouK3ziLa

Master Member
Reaction score
for those asking if shield can side load starhub go on it ... the answer is no .. the app will kick out ... but works for VIU .. Singtel Cast and TVB anywhere

wilflare

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
really? a nvidia box just for starhub go? :s13:

rather than using the one StarHub is trying to sell I suppose.
will be using it for Netflix/Spotify/Hulu/Amazon Prime too I suppose (to offload the SmartTV from them...) and GeForceNow...

- but yes StarHub Go was one of the main things

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
for those asking if shield can side load starhub go on it ... the answer is no .. the app will kick out ... but works for VIU .. Singtel Cast and TVB anywhere

I can only guess StarHub has two versions of StarHub Go app, one for normal mobile version of Android OS and one for the Android TV OS (StarHub Go Streaming Box runs service provider version of Android TV).

The Android TV version is probably tied to the Go Streaming Box and it probably checks the underlying OS is Android TV. If not it will quit. If yes it is running Android TV, it will check if it is the StarHub Box, if not it will quit.

The mobile version you are trying to sideload will probably do the same thing, if the os is mobile version of Android, it will proceed. If the underlying OS is Android TV, it will quit.

Just my guess.

I Not Stupid Idiot

Reaction score
The apk for tvb anywhere sg seems to work for mobile only..I’ve tried and it failed to load for me..so just trying to check if there’s any modified app or settings/tweaks in order for the app to work on the tv box

google how to side load apps to driod TV ... pretty easy ..

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The apk for tvb anywhere sg seems to work for mobile only..I’ve tried and it failed to load for me..so just trying to check if there’s any modified app or settings/tweaks in order for the app to work on the tv box

https://www.tvbanywhere.com.sg/faq.html

It mentions that TV boxes are not supported.
Looks like they detect the underlying OS and block official Android TV OS.

Take note TVB offers streaming box in Hong Kong and not so sure if this blocking has something to do with that.

ktyandkyc

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
im facing an issue that when i switch apps out of Kodi ie alt tab out of Kodi when Im halfway watching a video, the video closes by itself (not Kodi but just the video that closes), after switching back. May I know how do I ensure that the videos do not close just because I alt tab? thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.