Issues with Linksys EA8100

blurpandasg2014

Reaction score
Just changed from m1 to starhub fiber and already facing issues. Connection will lag randomly and especially when downloading from Google store, the downloading icon will spin for at least 30sec to a min before the real downloading begins. Unsure if it's the router issue or starhub

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just changed from m1 to starhub fiber and already facing issues. Connection will lag randomly and especially when downloading from Google store, the downloading icon will spin for at least 30sec to a min before the real downloading begins. Unsure if it's the router issue or starhub

this router well known for these type of problem de :s22: I heard a few ppl saying in real life, so it's true :s13:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Very likely it would be due to router Linksys EA8100 on wireless features which may be slightly different.

Read and understand on > Linksys EA8100 - FAQ - Wireless connection & security

Do check if this router need to update the firmware > EA8100 Firmware

blurpandasg2014

Reaction score
Very likely it would be due to router Linksys EA8100 on wireless features which may be slightly different.

Read and understand on > Linksys EA8100 - FAQ - Wireless connection & security

Do check if this router need to update the firmware > EA8100 Firmware
Im currently on latest firmware and not on DFS. I manualy set the channel to ensure not due to channel switching

Just now called starhub to reset the network on their side, seem to solve the issue... Will continue to monitor it

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Im currently on latest firmware and not on DFS. I manualy set the channel to ensure not due to channel switching

Just now called starhub to reset the network on their side, seem to solve the issue... Will continue to monitor it

That's good to hear!

By default it will be Starhub DNS which i am always on and don't have any issue.

lcheowl

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
3rd party dns meaning it doesn't connect to starhub?

3rd party dns mean you can visit website that is not blocked by starhub.

cloudflare and goolge DNS are 2 of the public DNS mostly use in Singapore that offer you the freedom to go internet

uncle_josh

Reaction score
3rd party dns meaning it doesn't connect to starhub?

Starhub DNS is screwed............!!!!!
The use of 3rd Party DNS is purely to overcome Starhub inability to provide a smooth, rock solid internet experience.

Being with Starhub for 3 contracts, w/o 3rd party DNS, YOU will experience intermitten internet connections or laggy internets connection.

Every year, there will be a major disconnection breakdown. YOU go and dig out the history. Its in the news every year. But 3rd Party DNS saves the day.

I use OpenDNS@FamilyShield is because on top of give me a smooth experience, it functions to block you from accidental access to malware infested or dangerous sites. These comes w/o any charges at all.

Gonna ditch Starhub after this 3rd contract !!!

Last edited:

blurpandasg2014

Reaction score
Starhub DNS is screwed............!!!!!
The use of 3rd Party DNS is purely to overcome Starhub inability to provide a smooth, rock solid internet experience.

Being with Starhub for 3 contracts, w/o 3rd party DNS, YOU will experience intermitten internet connections or laggy internets connection.

Every year, there will be a major disconnection breakdown. YOU go and dig out the history. Its in the news every year. But 3rd Party DNS saves the day.

I use OpenDNS@FamilyShield is because on top of give me a smooth experience, it functions to block you from accidental access to malware infested or dangerous sites. These comes w/o any charges at all.

Gonna ditch Starhub after this 3rd contract !!!
I also heard from my Fren abt his horrible experience with starhub. Before signing up I actually asked him if connection was ok and he still can tell me ok when he called starhub countless of times to resolve problems and latest was jus 3mths ago

M1 I only called once in my 8yrs with them and it was due to faulty ONT. I shld have stuck with m1 if I knew starhub was no good

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I also heard from my Fren abt his horrible experience with starhub. Before signing up I actually asked him if connection was ok and he still can tell me ok when he called starhub countless of times to resolve problems and latest was jus 3mths ago

M1 I only called once in my 8yrs with them and it was due to faulty ONT. I shld have stuck with m1 if I knew starhub was no good

From my past experience on Starhub since using for decades, the main issues would probably be IP Addresses if not connection on certain locality.

The other point is that IP on 1Gbps plan are most likely be some problematic.
Years ago there were lots of complaints on intermittent connections on 1Gbps plan.

When i upgrade to 1Gbps plan then i noticed the issues on IP and intermittent connections are real.
Prior to this was on 500mbps plan and there were no such issues.
Only after getting their tech support to refresh or re-issue a new IP then i ensure it stay as long as possible.
Usually i would monitor on the IP and would be "annoyed" if the IP is changed.
Should the IP was changed somehow and intermittent issue is there i would get their tech support to refresh a new IP for me.
In order not have the IP being "hijacked/changed" i leave the ONT & Router 24/7.

For your info.

lcheowl

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From my past experience on Starhub since using for decades, the main issues would probably be IP Addresses if not connection on certain locality.

The other point is that IP on 1Gbps plan are most likely be some problematic.
Years ago there were lots of complaints on intermittent connections on 1Gbps plan.

When i upgrade to 1Gbps plan then i noticed the issues on IP and intermittent connections are real.
Prior to this was on 500mbps plan and there were no such issues.
Only after getting their tech support to refresh or re-issue a new IP then i ensure it stay as long as possible.
Usually i would monitor on the IP and would be "annoyed" if the IP is changed.
Should the IP was changed somehow and intermittent issue is there i would get their tech support to refresh a new IP for me.
In order not have the IP being "hijacked/changed" i leave the ONT & Router 24/7.

For your info.

i just upgraded to 1gbps in August. The problem i faced is my download speed ranging from 200 plus mbps to less than 600 mbps.

Only one in a blue moon, it hits above 700.

I can feel the lag if it run below 300 mbps.

However uploading speed most of the time was above 900 mbps.

It have been near to 3 month, and they still don't know what is wrong.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i just upgraded to 1gbps in August. The problem i faced is my download speed ranging from 200 plus mbps to less than 600 mbps.

Only one in a blue moon, it hits above 700.

I can feel the lag if it run below 300 mbps.

However uploading speed most of the time was above 900 mbps.

It have been near to 3 month, and they still don't know what is wrong.

Still not able to resolve your issue yet..

I do monitor my IP Address and run speedtest occasionally.
Although current speedtest result is below 300 mbps for download i know for the fact it is not the IP connection issue but browser issue.
Being using the same IP for more than a year and the speedtest result for last year was way above 700 mbps download.
Upload speed is always above 900 mbps.

uncle_josh

Reaction score
How's everythnig going ?

So have you changed your DNS ?

blurpandasg2014

Reaction score
How's everythnig going ?

So have you changed your DNS ?

I tried changing my dns to opendns server but had issues with using starhub go app and downloading from Google play.

So I instead changed it to Google dns and indeed the surfing experience is much better

uncle_josh

Reaction score
Good for you.....haha...

Sent from 当断不断, 害人害己 using GAGT

^Tripper^

Reaction score
I have had nothing but trouble with this crap router. Issue after issue. Worse bit is the DNS settings. Some of you have changed your DNS servers and all seems good yeah? Try heading over to https://ipleak.org and see what DNS results come up.:s22:

osh6

Reaction score
I have had nothing but trouble with this crap router. Issue after issue. Worse bit is the DNS settings. Some of you have changed your DNS servers and all seems good yeah? Try heading over to https://ipleak.org and see what DNS results come up.:s22:

Just tested the Linksys EA8100 on ipleak.org, there are still some isp dns connection even when its manually set to 3rd party dns, is this the so call dns leak?

With this router, in order to totally bypass isp dns is to manually set dns on each devices.The router dns setting is broken whether intentional or unintentional.

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Just tested the Linksys EA8100 on ipleak.org, there are still some isp dns connection even when its manually set to 3rd party dns, is this the so call dns leak?

With this router, in order to totally bypass isp dns is to manually set dns on each devices.The router dns setting is broken whether intentional or unintentional.

Did you set the ipv6 DNS address?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.