Seeking advice for online purchase scam

• Have you been Scammed?
    Follow this advisory from National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC) on the next steps you can take. More info

newtown_73

Reaction score
Come across a video ads showing a nebula capsule projector by Anker at $79.
Clicked on the video, I was brought to a site which has full description of the above product with specifications and so on. What appeal to me is that the mode of payment is 'Cash on delivery'. Next I filled up the relevant details : name, address and mobile number and press the submit button. Immediately a window appear which states - Congratulations, Submit successfully with some message in mandarin saying that the goods ordered will be delivered 7-10 days time and the mode payment is cash on delivery. The deliverer with contact me thru call or message me before the delivery. There was'nt any contact number or email included for communications with the company. I did not receive any email confirming my purchase.

Unlike other online purchases which i had made with other online sales sites which have a page pop up to allow the buyer to review the item purchase and price + shipping cost, the address to send the item to. After checking that everything is correct then you proceed to click the 'confirm order button' and proceed to payment.

I began to realize that i might be a possible online purchase scam victim. I immediately googled the website which surprised me further. The website display only fashion wear, some handbags and there is no menu button for other products they offer. Also comments which said that "beware of this shop that the item delivered is not the same item the buyer bought. Do not buy from this shop, it cheat".

I am still awaiting for the delivery to be effected and feeling moody. I can only blamed it on my own foolishness.

What i am planning to do is:
1) Since it is COD, i will refuse payment if the cost is not $79. They may include hefty shipping cost which i was not informed earlier at point of making the purchase.
2) Insist that i open the parcel to check and ensure what is delivered to me is the correct item i ordered. If the delivery man refuse to my request, i will again refuse to pay and ask that the item be returned to the supplier.
3) If the dispute becomes nasty i will regretfully call the police.

I would to appeal to kind souls in forum to advice whether the above is justifiable and any other good advice to offer especially those who had similar experiences.

Thanking all in anticipation

regards

machotrueno

Reaction score
Long time ago I bought a Nintendo Switch through amazon at a very low price. Suddenly my money get back and my purchase was canceled. So an advice is: Don't buy in strange sites, unless Amazon (or a big company) is behind.

newtown_73

Reaction score
Hello
That is a good piece of advice. Must be more careful buying things online.

regards

really_noob

Master Member
Reaction score
Otherwise, when the delivery arrives, just say there's no such person staying here and it's probably a wrong address entered. Not nice to make things difficult for the delivery guy especially if they are just working for a courier company like SingPost etc. They will just return the parcel to their office or to the sender saying it's a wrong address.

newtown_73

Reaction score
Otherwise, when the delivery arrives, just say there's no such person staying here and it's probably a wrong address entered. Not nice to make things difficult for the delivery guy especially if they are just working for a courier company like SingPost etc. They will just return the parcel to their office or to the sender saying it's a wrong address.

Hello,
Thank you for the nice suggestion.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Points to take note when doing online where your personal details are required.

It is important to know some idea on the website/seller details and the product item on display.

Do take note on the website details as on whether it is on secured link as in " https:// " where "s" refer as secured.

Should you are not sure on the website there is this "i" in front of https:// and click on it to see if the site is secured connection and other details.

All online sites need to be secured in order for any details input is secured and not easy to hijack for other purposes.

Take note on any pop-up window for it may divert you to other unsecured website via link.

Whenever possible do save screenshots of whatever you input and any other details.

A little bits of info that you saved &or notice will benefit should there be any issues later on.

By now you should know the outcome of your 'purchased product'.

Should there be no news on the outcome then there may be other possibilities in regard to this offer.

It would be also someone is collecting personal details for other purposes.

There is a need to safeguard your personal details on the internet.

newtown_73

Reaction score
Hello eric3743
Thanks for the good advice.
It has been over 3 weeks now, still no sign of delivery. My main concern is about my personal details : name, home address, email and mobile number. What are some precautions I need to take? Please advise. Thanks so much.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello eric3743
Thanks for the good advice.
It has been over 3 weeks now, still no sign of delivery. My main concern is about my personal details : name, home address, email and mobile number. What are some precautions I need to take? Please advise. Thanks so much.

If it is scammer please do be aware for any unknown &or contacts not in your list when receiving calls &or emails.

That's if the caller do not properly introduce/identify themselves then ignore them.

Meanwhile keep an eye on the email address &or content for any irregularity.

Nothing much you can do now but to monitor and do be careful.

newtown_73

Reaction score
If it is scammer please do be aware for any unknown &or contacts not in your list when receiving calls &or emails.

That's if the caller do not properly introduce/identify themselves then ignore them.

Meanwhile keep an eye on the email address &or content for any irregularity.

Nothing much you can do now but to monitor and do be careful.

Hi eric3743
Thank you so much for your sound advice.

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i ever clicked on a link from facebook buying a 8tb hdd for dun know how much...$79 maybe?

COD but the more i thought of it the more i feel insecure. finally don't know how many days later delivery arrived, i told the man i do not want the item...the courier does not wear a uniform by the way.

Guess what, he still call me few weeks later but i still tell him i do not want already. Another few weeks called again, i immediately block his number.

And now there is a intel 8700k for $79 at facebook haha...who dares to buy?

Reesey

Reaction score
online or offline, there's alway risk of being scam.

i ever bought a HP laptop from trade show, sales guy mention no display set as its last unit and I'm like what can possible go wrong at most its second handed. so i bought it then went home only to realized its a counterfeit HP with unlicense windows installed.
company is Atrix Dynamic, all negative reviews on facebook.
got my money after went back to the trade show as I'm prepare to make pice report.

for online, once on ebay, seller mia, store close down but good thing using paypal easily got my back easily.

Last edited:

buzymum

Reaction score
Antique scam in singapore

Lately I was cheated by antique scam from carousell. To find out more how the scammers cheat, you can google "国宝帮". You will see a lot similar scams already happened in China.

The scammer is an 65-70+ year old chinese man with surname Mr Tan, Onan Road. He positions himself as senior collector and/or teacher to share authentication skills with junior collectors. After getting your truth, he will sell you replica at antique price. He makes up a lot of stories to slowly gaining your truth (similar to romance dating scammers). He knows those are not antiques but makes you believe are antiques. I have proof from whatapp conversation with him.

The worse is he was once trying to organise antique authentication classes to get more "students or victims", which will work as MLM scheme.

I know it is really hard to get back my financial lost. My intention to post here is to bring awareness of such antique scams in Singapore and hope to prevent more collectors become victims. In case, you are his next target. You can PM me to find out more

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.