Protecting my camera in winter

hoouyoul

Reaction score
Protecting my mirrorless camera in winter

Dear all,

I will be bringing my canon mirrorless camera to a winter country. The temperature is expected to go below zero degrees. The camera is not weatherproof, and as such I would like to ask if I need to bring along Desiccant with me?

Will this Desiccant jel be good enough? How many grams should i bring, and will it last for 8 days without replacement?
https://www.lazada.sg/products/500g...hlistcategory.list.45.766e5b51DmFmr5&search=1

Or is it better for me to bring a tight seal box?

Do share with me other tips that you all find useful to keep moisture off your camera.

Thanks for any advice. :)

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
I brought my a6000 in and out of the snow to a heated room multiple times in 2 weeks. No issues with it and the rest of my electronic devices. I did not do anything special to protect it.

EJB

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Eh. Winter = cold = dry = natural dry cabinet.

tianlong_babu

Master Member
Reaction score
There won't be moisture if the temp don't change too much if you move from outdoors to indoors. The thing you should be more worried about is battery life. Batteries can't really operate in cold temp.

keenklee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dear all,

I will be bringing my canon mirrorless camera to a winter country. The temperature is expected to go below zero degrees. The camera is not weatherproof, and as such I would like to ask if I need to bring along Desiccant with me?

Will this Desiccant jel be good enough? How many grams should i bring, and will it last for 8 days without replacement?
https://www.lazada.sg/products/500g...hlistcategory.list.45.766e5b51DmFmr5&search=1

Or is it better for me to bring a tight seal box?

Do share with me other tips that you all find useful to keep moisture off your camera.

Thanks for any advice. :)

1. Extra batteries
2. Microfiber
3. Plastic bags - prevent condensation from cold to hot

yoyokid

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In cold country, the air very dry.

But if you bring camera into warm house which got fireplace, you better
insulate the camera before you enter the house.

Just use any clear plastic bag, put the camera inside and suck out all the
air with your mouth until there's no more air inside. Then use a rubber band
to tie the bag to retain the vacuum state.

When inside the house, you can take out the camera only when it has reached
room temperature. :)

fongwk8

Reaction score
Yup, I had no problems using my Sony A7ii in Iceland or at other cold countries. The only worry you could have (and highlighted by others) is the battery life.

The battery life was so bad till I now use a dummy battery (connected to a power bank) than the normal camera batteries when taking time lapses.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.