Do you include critiall illness coverage for term life protection?

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Critical illness rider is more expensive than the original term life coverage.
Anyone here buying Term without critical illness coverage?

J7ZSIZ3.jpg

moejoseph

Reaction score
CI is the most important and where the medical expenses is most expensive in my opinion. I am a kiasi person haha, so i took it despite the cost

punkster

Reaction score
I only have a small accelerator for CI as I’m of the belief that in the even you really do contract CI (especially to be able to get CI payout for a typical ins criteria is late stage), likelihood of survivor is low anyway so might as well get a higher life coverage :s12:

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is what I thought also, but can we alter the critical illness component?
Actually before 65 years old, less likely to get critical illness right?

I only have a small accelerator for CI as I’m of the belief that in the even you really do contract CI (especially to be able to get CI payout for a typical ins criteria is late stage), likelihood of survivor is low anyway so might as well get a higher life coverage :s12:

Last edited:

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yyhwin, do you already have:

(a) A reasonable level of Disability Income Insurance (DII) coverage (term to age 65)?

(b) A base Integrated Shield plan at public hospital B1 ward level (or higher if you don't mind the higher premium), preferably with the longest pre-/post-hospitalization coverage window you can get?

Do you have any dependents?

What's your MediSave balance like, and how would you otherwise characterize your ability to self-insure? I gather from your other threads the latter is "wobbly."

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
I have a lot of CI coverage cause my dad had lymphoma in his 40s and heart attack in his 60s. Both term and non term. Non term in ILP and whole life and endowment (which covers early stage CA). Term under rider of DII and standalone cancer guard insurance.

I need it cause I am not eligible to buy private hospitalisation plan. Only have basic medishield life.

Last edited:

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A) I think government going to make it compulsory for all to have it by dunno which year, so eventually I will have one even though I have none now.

B) yes. Integrated plan with co payment rider.

Yyhwin, do you already have:

(a) A reasonable level of Disability Income Insurance (DII) coverage (term to age 65)?

(b) A base Integrated Shield plan at public hospital B1 ward level (or higher if you don't mind the higher premium), preferably with the longest pre-/post-hospitalization coverage window you can get?

Do you have any dependents?

What's your MediSave balance like, and how would you otherwise characterize your ability to self-insure? I gather from your other threads the latter is "wobbly."

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Mummy.

My situation is less worrying though, coz my mum and dad still very healthy at 60 years old. Both my grandmums also healthy.
The only concern is my grandfather(mother’s father) passed away at young age due to brain tumor, but does the 30 critical illness covers brain tumor?

I have a lot of CI coverage cause my dad had lymphoma in his 40s and heart attack in his 60s. Both term and non term. Non term in ILP and whole life and endowment (which covers early stage CA). Term under rider of DII and standalone cancer guard insurance.

I need it cause I am not eligible to buy private hospitalisation plan. Only have basic medishield life.

mummy1234

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Mummy.

My situation is less worrying though, coz my mum and dad still very healthy at 60 years old. Both my grandmums also healthy.
The only concern is my grandfather(mother’s father) passed away at young age due to brain tumor, but does the 30 critical illness covers brain tumor?

I think malignant cancers r all covered? Meaning they have spread so prob beyond stage 1.

punkster

Reaction score
What do u mean by alter? The type of CI coverage? U can get those early CI cover instead, but the cost is much higher

This is what I thought also, but can we alter the critical illness component?
Actually before 65 years old, less likely to get critical illness right?

OngHuatHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I try to purchase online, their CI component coverage must be the same as the death, TI and TPD coverage.

I meant to say, can I buy 400 k term with 100 k CI.

What do u mean by alter? The type of CI coverage? U can get those early CI cover instead, but the cost is much higher

punkster

Reaction score
Oh. Can. My coverage is 200k but CI accelerator 100k. Means if I kena CI I get 100k first and when I die my family get another 100k.

But not through online so I dunno if that’s the difference.

I try to purchase online, their CI component coverage must be the same as the death, TI and TPD coverage.

I meant to say, can I buy 400 k term with 100 k CI.

BBCWatcher

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A) I think government going to make it compulsory for all to have it by dunno which year, so eventually I will have one even though I have none now.
No, the government is making "Total and Permanent Disability" (TPD) coverage compulsory -- that's what CareShield Life is -- and only for those born after a certain year. My question is about your Disability Income Insurance (DII) coverage.

B) yes. Integrated plan with co payment rider.
I'm not a fan of "zero dollar" riders especially in our MediSave-equipped Singapore, but you're already aware of that and could consider adjustments there.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.