Trying to OC GPU and CPU

CrispyPeddler

Reaction score
i seriously have no idea what to do (total noob here)..watch some youtube video..read some guides....and im still no clue..

basically all the guides mention

1) Core Voltage MAX
2) Power Limit MAX
3) Temp. Limit MAX

i tried +120mhz coreclock and +650mhz memory clock...click the kombustor and it run well...

Yqg9115.png

but mine shows as 1.8kmhz while all the article shows 2kmhz? do i need to pull my core clock slider to +300 or +400 for 2k mhz coreclock??

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2 GHz is the clock after GPU Boost. You can run Time Spy and look at the actual clock rate.

I can get 2 GHz with a +168 MHz OC to the stock clock and without increasing the stock voltage and power limit.

CrispyPeddler

Reaction score
2 GHz is the clock after GPU Boost. You can run Time Spy and look at the actual clock rate.

I can get 2 GHz with a +168 MHz OC to the stock clock and without increasing the stock voltage and power limit.

ooh..no wonder everyone was talking about 2ghz all the time while mine is 1.8ghz..

does it mean that i can only see the 2ghz while stress test it or playing games?

aside from that, any hot key to instantly switch between profile? like when im playing game im in profile 2..while just surfing web i use profile 1 :s22::s22:

*edit: aside from timespy, any free benchmark software?

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
does it mean that i can only see the 2ghz while stress test it or playing games?

aside from that, any hot key to instantly switch between profile? like when im playing game im in profile 2..while just surfing web i use profile 1 :s22::s22:

Yup, GPU Boost will kick in only when needed.

Not sure about profile switching. :)

Mark73

Reaction score
ooh..no wonder everyone was talking about 2ghz all the time while mine is 1.8ghz..

*edit: aside from timespy, any free benchmark software?

1) use the afterburner 2d/3d profile setting (2d is your idle profile, 3d is OC profile)
2) click the BIG i and check if any 3d active process is detected .
3) open RTSS and ADD in the detected .exe u want to ignore.
4) set that .exe RTSS application detection level to NONE
5) restart afterburner
6) your GPU should now automatically use your OC profile only when gaming or when any 3D program is opened.
* ( some PC monitoring program like hwinfo64 are classfied as 3D program so u might want to add that in RTSS )

p/s : did u undervolt your GPU to run at 0.9v @ 1809mhz ?

CrispyPeddler

Reaction score
Unigine heaven

Sent from OnePlus ONEPLUS A3003 using GAGT

downloaded it. stress test need to buy also.

Yup, GPU Boost will kick in only when needed.

Not sure about profile switching. :)

i can never see the number goes beyond 1.8ghz..benchmark is fullscreen so not sure if there is any way to see the number goes to boost clock

1) use the afterburner 2d/3d profile setting (2d is your idle profile, 3d is OC profile)
2) click the BIG i and check if any 3d active process is detected .
3) open RTSS and ADD in the detected .exe u want to ignore.
4) set that .exe RTSS application detection level to NONE
5) restart afterburner
6) your GPU should now automatically use your OC profile only when gaming or when any 3D program is opened.
* ( some PC monitoring program like hwinfo64 are classfied as 3D program so u might want to add that in RTSS )

p/s : did u undervolt your GPU to run at 0.9v @ 1809mhz ?

woah. thanks bruh..so its advisable to run at stock when its at 2D and game with OC profile? can i just run OC profile all day long?

*edit: i cant see there is "detection level" button for me to click

not sure whats undervolt, but i max out Core Voltage, power limit and temp limit...coreclock +120mhz, memory clock +650mhz...custom fan speed.

the number still shows only 1.8+ghz:s22:

Last edited:

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i can never see the number goes beyond 1.8ghz..benchmark is fullscreen so not sure if there is any way to see the number goes to boost clock

In Time Spy online results, you can see this which shows the GPU core and memory clocks

1zvc3g9.jpg
[/IMG]

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
To me, if it pass 5 run consecutively, it's good enough. Would throw in a few more test on some gaming benchmark like Final Fantasy, Metro Last Light, Shadow of War, I have those games, so I make use of them. For long term temp and stability testing, can use 'Fuzzy Donut' (furmark). It's the most unrealistic test and strain to the gpu if that's your thing.

CrispyPeddler

Reaction score
ok, i run benchmark with far cry 5...when i do master reset to msi afterburner (run stock) and test it..the clocks fluctuates as game demanded and the highest is 1.9+ghz

then, i use my oc profile +120mhz (1.8+ghz)...benchmark clocks stays as 1.8+ghz..

hmmmm, as other all stable around 2+ghz...i need to +400mhz to my card and test it?

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
this is what i get...

Vi1n0JY.png

Your results are off. Every Pascal card I owned (EVGA GTX 1060 Gaming SC, Zotac GTX 1070, Galax GTX 1070Ti) have all gone over 2 GHz without problem.

I suggest you try with everything at stock and only OC the GPU clock to see how far you can push it.

CrispyPeddler

Reaction score
Your results are off. Every Pascal card I owned (EVGA GTX 1060 Gaming SC, Zotac GTX 1070, Galax GTX 1070Ti) have all gone over 2 GHz without problem.

I suggest you try with everything at stock and only OC the GPU clock to see how far you can push it.

u mean reset all and only add the core clock? ignore core voltage, power limit, temp. limit and memory cloc? :(:(

edit:
ok, after tweaking it here and there, i think i ROUGHLY get the gist.
1) basically just now my mhz stuck at 1.8ghz is because i lock it at 1.8ghz @ 0.9v as shwn in my first screenshot
2) once i unlock it, the mhz will go varies (depend on game process) from 300mhz to 1.93ghz.
3) i reset everything and only pull slider to max for power limit and temp. limit. +60mhz with far cry 5 benchmark (highest is 1.94ghz in game)..anything more the benchmark crash and exited.

so, now....some question:
1) anything i need to slowly tweak to obtain 2ghz?e.g. core voltage?
2) is it better to lock the clock & volt for gaming? or just let the card varies from 0mhz to 1.9ghz when gaming and surfing?

Last edited:

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
u mean reset all and only add the core clock? ignore core voltage, power limit, temp. limit and memory cloc? :(:(

Yes, this is to see how far your GPU can clock at stock and check whether you are being thermal throttled due to voltage etc.

FYI my OC was done with everything at stock except core clock and memory clock.

Mark73

Reaction score
i cant see there is "detection level" button for me to click

u can run OC profile all day long no problem, but i prefer to use my Idle Clock profile for my daily uses outside of gaming.

also check your GPU voltage is it locked at 0.9v for your OC profile.. that might explain why u only get 1823mhz.

CrispyPeddler

Reaction score
after trying for whole morning, i think probably my card was a dud 1 :(. always bad luck with lottery...even silicon lottery :s22::s22:

the most i can get is +55mhz core clock and +400mhz mem clock.

HbN4yLq.png

in game monitoring highes goes to 1.9ghz..anything more than 1.93ghz will crash :s22::s22:. sigh

singupingu

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wah. My condolences for losing silicon lottery :(

Anyway, 1.9ghz vs 2ghz, negligible difference in real world. Off the monitoring overlay and fps counter, it's all normal :)

Mark73

Reaction score
What he said. Theres little practical difference between 1900 or 2000 under load. Better use back your 0.9v @ 1800+ with lower temp then running at full load 1.06/1.09v @1900 if your OC is so poor.

CrispyPeddler

Reaction score
What he said. Theres little practical difference between 1900 or 2000 under load. Better use back your 0.9v @ 1800+ with lower temp then running at full load 1.06/1.09v @1900 if your OC is so poor.

should i lock it using the curve by pressing L? or just let it varies??

Mark73

Reaction score
1) L to lock at constant voltage (0.9v) = stable clock = stable fps
or
2) Varies Voltage (0.625v to 0.9v) = yoyo clock = yoyo fps

prefer L ,easier to set up :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.