120GB SSD just for WIndows 10

Ah Ken

Reaction score
I have been using my Samsung 840 evo 250GB for my Windows 10 OS + some other stuffs. Overtime, partly my fault of not organising, things get pile up. I have thought of reducing to a 120GB just for windows and save up this Samsung 840 for other purposes. Is it a wise thing to do? This 120GB will be solely Windows 10. Reformat also easier...

There aren't much 120GB ssd brands. So I gather 3 of them.
1. Adata Ultimate SU650
2. WD Green
3. Sandisk Plus

Which would be better if anyone of you happen to test their speed? TIA!

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Su650 got no dram right

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT

HolyInnocents

Reaction score
I have been using my Samsung 840 evo 250GB for my Windows 10 OS + some other stuffs. Overtime, partly my fault of not organising, things get pile up. I have thought of reducing to a 120GB just for windows and save up this Samsung 840 for other purposes. Is it a wise thing to do? This 120GB will be solely Windows 10. Reformat also easier...

1. Adata Ultimate SU650
2. WD Green
3. Sandisk Plus

hi ah ken, it's me again. I would have thought that it's better to put the window OS on a faster drive though (and samsung evo is clearly the superior one)

but anyway I was looking for a 120gb ssd myself to upgrade my dad's old laptop. there appears to be quite a number of bad reviews about Sandisk Plus so I bought a Kingston A400 120GB for $30 ($26 after some Lazada discount), but sadly ninjavan lost my parcel so there goes my drive.

But luckily during BF i managed to buy a Crucial BX500 120GB from Newegg for $38 ($22 after promo) which i received it 2 days ago and upgraded the system. speed is around 300mb/s despite the advertised 520mb/s

4eva_mark

Reaction score

1. Adata Ultimate SU650
2. WD Green
3. Sandisk Plus

Hey bro that’s an interesting thought you have! However, I would strongly advise holding on to your money first. Here’s why..

Any 128 GB SSD will offer similar performance to your older gen 250 GB Samsung Evo SSD. I understand how tempting it is to just satisfy the urge to buy and upgrade but if you can save for another month, you can get a 1TB / (1000 GB) SSD for a mere $80 top up. Or $45 to get a 500 GB SSD. SSDs with more capacity like 1TB has superior nand cells, more compute power for faster copying of files and loading of programs and a lot more longevity meaning you can re use them in future builds upwards of 15 to 20 years.

500 GB is fine as well for up to 15 years or more if that is the max you can afford. They can last a really long time for general consumer use because the only time an SSD will wear out fast is if you copy and paste large files copious amounts of repeats 24/7 all week and all month without stopping. Like over 20 TB of 4K captured footage back and forth daily for weeks to even burn out 10% of the 3-bit cells etc. so you will get a lot of value for the money you spend on a brand new 1TB or 500GB SSD.

Although if you really feel a need to just buy a new 128GB SSD and use it as your main OS boot drive whilst keeping your old 250GB SSD as secondary storage, you can do that as it is your PC and custom PCs should always be custom to what you want. All the best bro and I hope you get some good deals

Last edited:

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
120GB for OS is a bit small. Will run out of space and need to clear up stuff else the disk will run slower for SSDs. From experience, at least 250GB for OS drive is recommended

esmond300

Reaction score

1. Adata Ultimate SU650
2. WD Green
3. Sandisk Plus

It is wise to have an SSD solely used for the OS and keep all the important stuff on another drive. In the event of a boot drive failure or corrupted OS, all you have to do is reinstall OS without using losing any other important files.

But I see that you already have a 250 GB SSD. So depending on your needs, you could also consider getting a larger SSD while using the smaller capacity SSD as a boot drive. As for value for money, it's currently more worth it to get a larger capacity SSD.

Last edited:

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is possible to use a 120GB SSD just for Win 10. I have two backup 120GB SSDs with just Win 10 and some key programs.

Speed-wise, 120GB will be slower than their 240GB or higher brethren. However, this is barely noticeable in daily use.

||||||||||

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm using 128gb ssd for my laptop.

Possible provided you don't play games.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

1. Adata Ultimate SU650
2. WD Green
3. Sandisk Plus

Not worth to get 120GB SSD as most likely are of older model &or version if it is cheap.

Another point is that to have a reliable good stable SSD for OS since it will be heavily depend on running the process of the system all the time.

Suggest to get a equivalent newer model 250GB or higher storage SSD since price would drop.

Redo as fresh or do some housekeeping on the new SSD for OS.

While the existing SSD is best to keep as a backup until the new SSD work smoothly without any issue for a period.
And may to store this old SSD as a form of backup since there is a need to have the OS backup regularly.

Ah Ken

Reaction score
Thanks all for the advices. I am thinking of 120GB is for easy reformat anytime. 250GB will end up with many stuffs. All applications and games will be on the other SSDs. But like this also degrade performance? I can be wrong la. The best also is self organise.

Sent from LG G5 using GAGT

batniss

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the advices. I am thinking of 120GB is for easy reformat anytime. 250GB will end up with many stuffs. All applications and games will be on the other SSDs. But like this also degrade performance? I can be wrong la. The best also is self organise.

Yes, the more it is used, the slower it gets though it is unlikely you will feel it.

i will also recommend 250GB

miketkf

Reaction score
I will recommend Adata Ultimate SU900 (3D MLC NAND) 2.5" 512GB SSD at $168 as 128GB is very small in size.

Bumiputera

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not point getting 120gb ssd unless your budget is less than s$50.....

Online can easily find 250gb ssd at less than s$100....

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
120GB for OS is a bit small. Will run out of space and need to clear up stuff else the disk will run slower for SSDs. From experience, at least 250GB for OS drive is recommended

What OS are you running to use 120GB?

I feel 120/ 128GB is good enough for OS and some applications to run on. Most people that buy SSDs don't install that many application to fill 100GB for sure. Anyway, I mean applications and not including games.

HolyInnocents

Reaction score
Not point getting 120gb ssd unless your budget is less than s$50.....

Online can easily find 250gb ssd at less than s$100....

I think 120gb is only worth it if it's below $30...

can find 250gb ones at $60 actually. I bought mx500 250gb for $59

Ah Ken

Reaction score
I see carousell Best Bargain listing for Adata SU650 @ $29.90. I will channel my games and any other softwares to my Samsung Evo 840 and 850. Main point is just solely OS for the 120GB, Windows 10. Anytime need to reformat I thought of just touching the 120GB only. Seems like my plan not good ah. I definitely agree those 250GB and 500GB are good values.

Gymrat76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What OS are you running to use 120GB?

I feel 120/ 128GB is good enough for OS and some applications to run on. Most people that buy SSDs don't install that many application to fill 100GB for sure. Anyway, I mean applications and not including games.

Windows 10. However, with installed software (MS Office, music software etc.) and My Documents (including iTunes backups) etc. the space fills out really fast. Even though all my data (music files, games etc. are on a separate SSD).

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.