The Spectacles Thread. - Part 2

BlackIcE84

Master Member
Reaction score
Blue Zero is an embedded coating on top on the UV coating for the lenses. Thus nothing else can be combined with it not even transition. Thus if you want transition and blue light protection you must choose the other alternative which is glacier plus with it.

Blue AR is just a name of the multicoat. To see if the lens have a multicoat, just hold it over the light you should see greenish/purplish/bluish reflections. If its totally clear/white=no AR.

Hmm, that's not what the Shamir website states. See here

Quoted text from the website:

"RECOMMENDED ADDITION

FOR ULTIMATE COMPREHENSIVE PROTECTION

For even more comprehensive UV protection, we recommend adding Shamir Glacier Plus UV. This AR coating provides the eyes with UV protection from rear surface reflected light, as well as offering a number of extra benefits. Its improved anti-reflection feature minimizes distracting glare, while antistatic properties repel dust, and its hydro/oleo-phobic and water/oil resistant surface keeps lenses clean. Shamir Glacier Plus UV makes lenses stronger, more durable, and longer lasting, while enhancing visual acuity, comfort and style."

Hence my question was in relation to this portion of the website. (emphasis added in bold)

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Able to adv which Kodak progressive is comparable to Zeiss Precision Plus?

very difficult to give an answer as they are both different lens brands.
each company has their own lens design and are different. even when comparing against similarly priced products with another brand, upon wearing it might not feel exactly the same.
usually i will suggest they wear the same brand of the previous pair unless they have a problem with it then i will recommend something else, if not either same brand upgrade or stick to the same type of lenses.

BUT... if you must have an answer, kodak unique would be the most similar in terms of pricing wise. as for how good is it or specifics, i cant give you an answer.

hope it helps though

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi experts, need recommendation for those sporty reflective red mirror type lenses. Mainly for driving n light runs. I have high degrees maybe about 500+ n some astig. Are crizal or zeiss any good?

they are pretty ok. but shamir also has pretty good mirror coat lenses. can try it out haha

Did my 1st pair of Oakley in Nov with Crizal lens.
Same deg (-3D, both) as my current lens.

Eyes get tired by afternoon and
Left always looks a bit blur.
Right perfect

They say it is related to the curvature of the lens due to the Oakley and ask me to try getting used to it.

Anyone experienced this?

Also realised that the Crizal logo on the left lens is gone... Asked them to redo.... Wonder if related.

Sent from LGE LG-H990 using GAGT

i experienced something like that before. a customer came in and i personally did the checks.. RX ok, lens specifics ok. but what i noticed was the oakley compared to the older frame was a bit different as it was more curved.
thus, it is the only possible explanation i could provide and i have also seen cases whereby people cant get used to the frame especially when it is more curved.
different people have different tolerances and so you might not be used to a more curved frame.
even after adjustments it might still be hard to adapt. but i did the best i could for the adjustment and the customer hasnt returned so fingers crossed it is okay. or probably the customer is just too busy to return :s13:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Hmm, that's not what the Shamir website states. See here

Quoted text from the website:

"RECOMMENDED ADDITION

FOR ULTIMATE COMPREHENSIVE PROTECTION

For even more comprehensive UV protection, we recommend adding Shamir Glacier Plus UV. This AR coating provides the eyes with UV protection from rear surface reflected light, as well as offering a number of extra benefits. Its improved anti-reflection feature minimizes distracting glare, while antistatic properties repel dust, and its hydro/oleo-phobic and water/oil resistant surface keeps lenses clean. Shamir Glacier Plus UV makes lenses stronger, more durable, and longer lasting, while enhancing visual acuity, comfort and style."

Hence my question was in relation to this portion of the website. (emphasis added in bold)

I believe that glacier plus UV coating like the website state is an add-on, the normal lenses by itself already has AR coating.
They cannot and will not sell lenses that has no multicoat on them. It is the basic essential on the lenses itself.
But may i ask which part of the statement was not what the website states though? (the blue AR part?)

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Ok I visited Paris miki at vivo during lunchtime and enquired about the Shamir Blue Zero.

The blue zero apparently comes with an AR coating called "Blue AR." However, I can't find any info about this "blue AR" online. The sales lady didn't seem too sure either when I pressed her on it

I then asked whether I could combine the Blue Zero with the Glacier Plus UV coating, as stated on the SHAMIRSG website. She said it was not possible.

FYI

not too well versed with the shamir range but i did a quick check and realise it is not available for all products.
Depending on the index of lens and product type, it is possible for blue zero and glacier plus uv. for you the best bet would be to go for 1.67 lens as it possible to do it. but better check with the store which they will check with the lab whether it is possible.

BlackIcE84

Master Member
Reaction score
I believe that glacier plus UV coating like the website state is an add-on, the normal lenses by itself already has AR coating.
They cannot and will not sell lenses that has no multicoat on them. It is the basic essential on the lenses itself.
But may i ask which part of the statement was not what the website states though? (the blue AR part?)

Oh, i was seeking clarification on this part of your earlier comment: "Blue Zero is an embedded coating on top on the UV coating for the lenses. Thus nothing else can be combined with it not even transition."

I compared your comment to the Shamir SG website which stated that the Blue Zero can have a Glacier Plus add on. So since both statements are different, i was rather unsure as to which one was more accurate.

the salesperson at Paris Miki herself was not too confident when i asked her.

BlackIcE84

Master Member
Reaction score

For avoidance of doubt, i was not criticising you. just seeking clarification. in fact, i am most grateful for threads like these which don't descend into name-calling (unlike many others on EDMW) :s13:

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score
Oh, i was seeking clarification on this part of your earlier comment: "Blue Zero is an embedded coating on top on the UV coating for the lenses. Thus nothing else can be combined with it not even transition."

I compared your comment to the Shamir SG website which stated that the Blue Zero can have a Glacier Plus add on. So since both statements are different, i was rather unsure as to which one was more accurate.

i believe it was a mistake on my part then! Because i always thought Blue zero once the coating is embedded, no other coating e.g. transition can be added on. =:p

Edit:i have got it confirmed, Glacier UV plus is like the upgraded multi coat just like in the past Zeiss has it Lotutec and Duravision(better one). And Blue zero already has glacier plus uv

Last edited:

Phantom37

Reaction score
GANGSTERKIA and thegardens3b

Thanks for the replies!
Will see if there are any difference in the lens after the replacement...
I even asked if they got the prescription correct... was worried that somehow the left lens was of the wrong prescription... esp since there is a "defect" in the logo .....

pills

Master Member
Reaction score
I enquired abt progressive lenses yesterday and it will cost me at least 400... thats quite ex. Hence, am thinking of prescription sunglasses lenses instead.

What would you all recommend and where can i go for reasonable opticians to make these lenses?

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
I enquired abt progressive lenses yesterday and it will cost me at least 400... thats quite ex. Hence, am thinking of prescription sunglasses lenses instead.

What would you all recommend and where can i go for reasonable opticians to make these lenses?

hahaha 400 is considered the starting line for the entry level progressives. we know such prices are not everyone's comfort level to pay so of course there are other alternatives just probably not as good as the pricier ones.

do u have any to go places or areas near you whereby you are comfortable with? afterall, this service is quite personalised so find someone and somewhere you are comfortable with. if not, just walk in any store and i am sure they'll be glad to help :)

GANGSTERKIA

Master Member
Reaction score

Hi bro,
i will leave my previous post there still, i have checked with shamir and ok heres the info.

Blue zero(no yellowish hue) already comes with Glacier Plus thus nothing can be added together with it e.g. Transition. Blue zero is a material itself thus it already has the best coating.

Their basic lens coating is already Glacier Plus, so there will not be any premium coating. So all their lenses have glacier plus

Regarding the blue, If you want to have blue protection and the glacier plus multicoat, you need to choose blue shield(has yellowish hue).
Same goes for transition, if you want transition and blue then you must choose blue shield instead. Blue zero cannot be done.

hope this clarifies our doubts and confusion

pills

Master Member
Reaction score
hahaha 400 is considered the starting line for the entry level progressives. we know such prices are not everyone's comfort level to pay so of course there are other alternatives just probably not as good as the pricier ones.

do u have any to go places or areas near you whereby you are comfortable with? afterall, this service is quite personalised so find someone and somewhere you are comfortable with. if not, just walk in any store and i am sure they'll be glad to help :)

Oops i meant transition lens. Sorry, wrong term.

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi bro,
i will leave my previous post there still, i have checked with shamir and ok heres the info.

Blue zero(no yellowish hue) already comes with Glacier Plus thus nothing can be added together with it e.g. Transition. Blue zero is a material itself thus it already has the best coating.

Their basic lens coating is already Glacier Plus, so there will not be any premium coating. So all their lenses have glacier plus

Regarding the blue, If you want to have blue protection and the glacier plus multicoat, you need to choose blue shield(has yellowish hue).
Same goes for transition, if you want transition and blue then you must choose blue shield instead. Blue zero cannot be done.

hope this clarifies our doubts and confusion

:) thanks gangsterkia

thegardens3b

Master Member
Reaction score
Oops i meant transition lens. Sorry, wrong term.

oh then its a totally different price haha.
whats your prescription like? depending on the thickness of the lens and brand of lenses, the cost would differ slightly. basic crizal entry level transitions start from 260 for 1.5 index meaning for lower range powers.
slightly newer one would be 330. of course if you go down to the shop to enquire they will show you the different types they carry accordingly. so best to go down :)

phelios

Reaction score
i suppose jamco would be the best place for lindberg frames? any idea if they sell ic berlin as well?

Alphalionking

Reaction score
If I am to make another pair of SV glasses for presentation and outdoor use.
Could I still stick to what I am using now Zeiss individual blue coat?possible to try the other brands?will the be any discomfort?

Alphalionking

Reaction score
Another question,when washing our specs.can we use any dish washing detergent dilute with water to wash?
It seems like Miki use Mama Lemon in their rinsing machine before they clean our specs.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.