[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS ROG Rapture GT-AC5300

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'm on SingTel Mio and using the RT-AC86U with RP-AC86U (repeater) and am considering to replace them with Linksys Velop. Was doing some research when more options came into my mind. I have a few questions before I make the plunge, and hopefully the experts here can provide some guidance.

Option 1. Linksys Velop with RT-AC86U (due to VLAN).

Option 2. ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 with RT-AC86U (as AI Mesh node) but my concern is that the node will only be dual band and they are of slower speed.

Option 3. ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 with RT-AC5300 (as AI Mesh node) so as to retain the tri-band. Will there be a difference if I get another ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (faster processor and more ram) as AI Mesh node?

Last question, what is the difference between AI Mesh as compared to Mesh? Are they essentially the same, except with AI Mesh, I can see which router and band my devices are connected to. And I get to retain the functions of the powerful ROG Rapture GT-AC5300?

Usually, native mesh routers combine all Wi-Fi bands together for seamless roaming. AiMesh allows you the option to maintain separate bands across a mesh network. And as you mention, have more network management features compared to native mesh which are targeted at users who're looking for a simpler setup.

Last edited:

Calvin83

Reaction score
Usually, native mesh routers combine all Wi-Fi bands together for seamless roaming. AiMesh allows you the option to maintain separate bands across a mesh network. And as you mention, have more network management features compared to native mesh which are targeted at users who're looking for a simpler setup.

A pack of 3 Velops cost $500, while 3 RT-AC86U cost around $750.

I am just wondering, on a per device basis, based on their cost, using Asus routers as AI Mesh should triumph Velop? So the current mesh routers out there are geared towards simplicity, or do they (Velop, Orbi etc) offer anything better?

1 contradicting point to is that most of the Asus routers that do AI Mesh is only on dual band, unlike Mesh routers that have tri-band, the 3rd band being used for backhaul. But again, Velop, Orbi and even Lyra recent release of Mesh are only dual bands (lower cost option for people who don't need the backhaul).

This mesh thing is really confusing to me.. haha.

Putting cost aside, is the best option the below?
ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 with RT-AC5300 (as AI Mesh node) so as to retain the tri-band. Will there be a difference if I get another ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (faster processor and more ram) as AI Mesh node?

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A pack of 3 Velops cost $500, while 3 RT-AC86U cost around $750.

I am just wondering, on a per device basis, based on their cost, using Asus routers as AI Mesh should triumph Velop? So the current mesh routers out there are geared towards simplicity, or do they (Velop, Orbi etc) offer anything better?

1 contradicting point to is that most of the Asus routers that do AI Mesh is only on dual band, unlike Mesh routers that have tri-band, the 3rd band being used for backhaul. But again, Velop, Orbi and even Lyra recent release of Mesh are only dual bands (lower cost option for people who don't need the backhaul).

This mesh thing is really confusing to me.. haha.

Putting cost aside, is the best option the below?
ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 with RT-AC5300 (as AI Mesh node) so as to retain the tri-band. Will there be a difference if I get another ROG Rapture GT-AC5300 (faster processor and more ram) as AI Mesh node?

If I'm reading the info from the aimesh website correctly, when you have a pair of tri bands, one of the 5ghz is used for backhaul.

As for the differences between the 2 models, since I don't own the gt, I leave it up to others to comment.

Last edited:

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Imo I won't spend too much money ($500+) on consumer mesh units. If you want better performance and don't mind spending more, hire a contractor to lay cables and use dedicated APs switches and routers. ubiquiti unifi is a good fit for the job

zacky1223

Reaction score
Hi guys, just recently signed up with MR for this router. Can I check if i need to buy the cat 6 cable to go with this router ?

Blackmane

Reaction score
Read through this thread and tried a few things but none seem to work. Anyone else get this odd problem?

I have two PC's (LAN) and a tv (not an IPTV, just regular LAN for Twitch and Youtube etc... for now...) and several handphones connected (wifi). All is fine.

However, last few days had strange issue - if I decide to connect to the Internet or ramp up speed (either through downloads or via game, any game - Overwatch, Starcraft etc.) my other PC immediately loses Internet. All handphones still connected just fine.

The PC that loses Internet - diagnostics don't even 'see' the LAN cable connected anymore. Restart mode, restart PC, doesn't fit. Plug/unplug LAN also doesn't work either. It just suddenly seems as if the entire other PC is not even noticed on network. I had flashed to latest official ASUS firmware.

Anyone got any help for this?

NeonX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
having issue with my internet now. Connection is intermittently very slow. Starhub says i keep having multiple ip address at my place, not sure what is the case.

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am interested in purchasing this model, what's every one's opinion about it?

How do I make the most out of it? I mostly play Star Wars Battlefront 2, PUBG, LoL, etc

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.