[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC88U

uncle_josh

Reaction score
This router wifi is known to be cui one. You want good wifi, it is better to use back the AC-66U or upgrade to AC-86U or AX-88U.

Sent from 当断不断, 害人害己 using GAGT

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes. Damm cui. After 1 night. Wake up and saw all the led light all gone. Not able to power on. Have to go down to the service centre liao.

Asure7

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes. Damm cui. After 1 night. Wake up and saw all the led light all gone. Not able to power on. Have to go down to the service centre liao.

I have both AC86 (got it through RMA AC87) and AC88 (RMA once).
AC88 after you RMA will be no problem liao :s13:
you probably got the old h/w ver

When you first set it up, DO NOT let it auto-update firmware.
That's how my AC88 died also.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Not due to button press ?

c7d2c25f-a69a-405e-a7a0-e674851f6f72.jpg

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have both AC86 (got it through RMA AC87) and AC88 (RMA once).
AC88 after you RMA will be no problem liao :s13:
you probably got the old h/w ver

When you first set it up, DO NOT let it auto-update firmware.
That's how my AC88 died also.

Yes. I didn't update as I have read a bit here and there before I set it up.

My version ended up in 4180. Got the router in Sept 2017.

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Did you guys bring proof of purchase down to Avertek to RMA? I lost mine :(

Have u have registered your router online? I didnt register mine online but I have keep the receipt with the box. The staff just look at the receipt and validate from there.

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi. managed to resolve my no led no power issue on my ac88u. The problem is the power adaptor . Changed a new one and tested working.

Now another problem . tried to use back the AC88u router and there is no internet connected to my router. Check the setup page and it shown the error " the ISP does not function" So i used back my old AC66U. No problem at all. This time should i asked for M1 help or asus help .

This is what i did, switch off my M1 huawei black ONT, connect to new router (AC88U) from the ONT lan 1 to WAN of the AC88U. wair for 5 minutes. Switch back on . Doesnt work at all. I also did a back reset on the router also no use.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi. managed to resolve my no led no power issue on my ac88u. The problem is the power adaptor . Changed a new one and tested working.

Now another problem . tried to use back the AC88u router and there is no internet connected to my router. Check the setup page and it shown the error " the ISP does not function" So i used back my old AC66U. No problem at all. This time should i asked for M1 help or asus help .

This is what i did, switch off my M1 huawei black ONT, connect to new router (AC88U) from the ONT lan 1 to WAN of the AC88U. wair for 5 minutes. Switch back on . Doesnt work at all. I also did a back reset on the router also no use.

After reset where you able to connect to the default WiFi signal and see the setup wizard ?

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Have u have registered your router online? I didnt register mine online but I have keep the receipt with the box. The staff just look at the receipt and validate from there.

No I did not and I have lost the proof of purchase. Can I still bring it down to RMA? Anyone can help?

Asure7

Master Member
Reaction score
No receipt will just based on manufacture date
Still can rma

Didn’t bring the receipt both times when I RMA

winningeleven

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
After reset where you able to connect to the default WiFi signal and see the setup wizard ?

I called m1 tech hotline. The 1st time the guy on the line just blame it on the new ac88u router which I had already tested functioning before I bought home from SC. After a few times tying to connect my ac88u routers. I ended up even my old ac66u also couldn't connect to m1 fibre Internet. So I called m1 tech again since this was an no Internet issue.

This 2nd time, the tech guy was fully aware of my problem and he told me something new. He mentioned changing of new router has to wait at least an 1 hour before we allowed to switch back on to reboot. I thought all the while we could just swap new router instantly? He told me the backend side was still configured to the old router, that why my ac88u couldn't work after swap. Not sure what he did and now my Internet is up and running.

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No receipt will just based on manufacture date
Still can rma

Didn’t bring the receipt both times when I RMA

Good to hear that!

Do you know what are the tests they are going to perform to determine whether to RMA since the Wifi is working just not at the desired speed?

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I called m1 tech hotline. The 1st time the guy on the line just blame it on the new ac88u router which I had already tested functioning before I bought home from SC. After a few times tying to connect my ac88u routers. I ended up even my old ac66u also couldn't connect to m1 fibre Internet. So I called m1 tech again since this was an no Internet issue.

This 2nd time, the tech guy was fully aware of my problem and he told me something new. He mentioned changing of new router has to wait at least an 1 hour before we allowed to switch back on to reboot. I thought all the while we could just swap new router instantly? He told me the backend side was still configured to the old router, that why my ac88u couldn't work after swap. Not sure what he did and now my Internet is up and running.

Good to hear that you managed to resolve the problem.

Last edited:

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Good to hear that!

Do you know what are the tests they are going to perform to determine whether to RMA since the Wifi is working just not at the desired speed?

then its a grey area. to appease you they might relent and give you an exchange, provided you sound knowledgeable enough and that they testing can't show any conclusive result. however if you don't even know what you talking about, then they might propose its due to the environmental factors then.

there is no industrial standard to test out wifi speed

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
then its a grey area. to appease you they might relent and give you an exchange, provided you sound knowledgeable enough and that they testing can't show any conclusive result. however if you don't even know what you talking about, then they might propose its due to the environmental factors then.

there is no industrial standard to test out wifi speed

Did you try to RMA before? What was the reason you did?

leonaheidern

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm I have a problematic intel ac-7260 wireless card with this in my Lenovo yp40-70 laptop. It cannot stay connected to the 5ghz band in ac mode with the previous 2 firmwares including the latest 3.0.0.4.384_45149 firmware

Need to change the advanced driver setting for 802.1 n/ac Wireless Mode to 802.1n mode for it to stay consistently connected in 5ghz mode

Think if anyone has this can try with their laptops and see if it helps.

It's quite bad the singal instantly drops. I am already using the 20.100.1 wireless drivers from intel itself and running Windows 10 Pro x64 bit.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.