Seasonic PSU have repeating metal noise

mrdl2010

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a seasonic PSU. From 2 days ago, it have a metal buzzing sound every few seconds.

Is it serious? Will it cause other parts to break down? Should I stop the PC and keep it like that?

Thanks

clon22

Suspended
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a seasonic PSU. From 2 days ago, it have a metal buzzing sound every few seconds.

Is it serious? Will it cause other parts to break down? Should I stop the PC and keep it like that?

Thanks
Hi therw,

Which model is that?
Just purchased?
Is it a coil whining sound?
Try powering up on another power outlet.
And also let it run for some time to see if it continues.
You can also bring the PSU down to our service center for a check.

Cheers. :)

mrdl2010

Reaction score
Hi therw,

Which model is that?
Just purchased?
Is it a coil whining sound?
Try powering up on another power outlet.
And also let it run for some time to see if it continues.
You can also bring the PSU down to our service center for a check.

Cheers. :)

Hi dont rmb the model, i bought it few years ago but it is a gold one.
It does sound a bit like coil whining.
It will be like that even if i let it runs like forever.
Do you guys work on weekend cuz i am working so it is hard to go.

Clarify: the sound is like when you touch a running fan

Last edited:

clon22

Suspended
Reaction score
Yep, like touching a spinning fan.
It's like a low humming or whining.
Generally it's fine.
Sometimes, it will go away after a while too.
But we only work on weekdays.
Perhaps, you can check with the dealer you purchased from and send in through them?

Unic0rn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
mine has that sound too, intermittently. is it because of the hybrid mode and fan spinning at load?

Seasonic FX750
bought in Nov 2018

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Year 2018, and we still don't have smartphones with microphones that can record sound

Oh wait, we have, we just don't have an app that uploads it to facebook

clon22

Suspended
Reaction score
mine has that sound too, intermittently. is it because of the hybrid mode and fan spinning at load?

Seasonic FX750
bought in Nov 2018

Sharing my experience with a conversation i had with SeaSonic's former dept head.
Higher end models tend to have more of such cases, not because of faulty issues etc but because of high end transformers.
For PSU, that's generally where the coil whine occurs.
Industry/Manufacturer level, acceptance for coil whine "issues" are not permitted as it doesn't qualify as an issue to begin with.

Of course from a users' perspective, we understand everyone has a different noise tolerance level.
For those that are way too "loud", we will try our best to change but in some cases, expectations of almost silent conditions, we are unable to do anything either.

Some users reported the noise goes off/gets better after awhile or when they tried a different power outlet.

You can always bring the PSU down for a check too.:)

Unic0rn

Arch-Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
thanks! I believe that intermittent sound is still acceptable, because I use at night in an air conditioning room and will be able to hear the slightest sound. I’m glad this is normal and not a fault. thanks for sharing the information 😄 secondly I’m too busy to bring down for a check during this period haha, by the way I like your msi red dragon soft toy! 👍🏼 game on, true gaming!

Sharing my experience with a conversation i had with SeaSonic's former dept head.
Higher end models tend to have more of such cases, not because of faulty issues etc but because of high end transformers.
For PSU, that's generally where the coil whine occurs.
Industry/Manufacturer level, acceptance for coil whine "issues" are not permitted as it doesn't qualify as an issue to begin with.

Of course from a users' perspective, we understand everyone has a different noise tolerance level.
For those that are way too "loud", we will try our best to change but in some cases, expectations of almost silent conditions, we are unable to do anything either.

Some users reported the noise goes off/gets better after awhile or when they tried a different power outlet.

You can always bring the PSU down for a check too.:)

clon22

Suspended
Reaction score
thanks! I believe that intermittent sound is still acceptable, because I use at night in an air conditioning room and will be able to hear the slightest sound. I’m glad this is normal and not a fault. thanks for sharing the information 😄 secondly I’m too busy to bring down for a check during this period haha, by the way I like your msi red dragon soft toy! 👍🏼 game on, true gaming!
No worries. :)
Any issues just let us know.

Cheers.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.