Amazon Prime SG now only $2.99/month? Worth it?

archampion

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm thinking to use Amazon prime. Saw on this page for SG, https://www.amazon.com.sg/, it is now $2.99 per month, was $8.99 per month.

Will this price be permanent or will revert back to S8.99 in future?

And is it worth it beside able to get free games and use twitch prime for free?

Reaction score
Is it even worth it?

I had an account when it first launched coincidently it was the same time when GT season 2 came out. After that, there wasn't really any good deals via the prime app so then cancelled membership about afew months later.

Any current users care to share your opinion?

f15hy

Reaction score
I subscribe primarily for Twitch Prime. Online shopping feels like a secondary concern.

Last edited:

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It is useful if you buy from Prime regularly, i.e. at least a couple of time a month. Otherwise, there is barely any shows on the Amazon Prime Video locally. Also, do note that the variety of items on Prime Now as oppose to the full fledge Amazon, is very limited.

chris_foo

Reaction score
If you watch Twitch often, Prime would be worth it for you to support a streamer. Additionally, there are free games that twitch would give, but you need to install their desktop app.

Prime Video doesn't have any updates, at least I don't regularly check it as everytime I check, nothing significate changed.

Shopping wise, I have not seen very much offers, but the delivery is what I like the most, I can get same day delivery.

kandinsky

Master Member
Reaction score
Will this price be permanent or will revert back to S8.99 in future?

Sure will revert, it's only a matter of when. Enjoy it while it lasts, if you do use the services. I use mainly for shopping, less the games and twitch.

For shopping, I suggest you get the trial first, then search around, see if the items/brands you typically buy are available in the local or international store selections. If yes, subscribe. If not, don't bother, unless you keen on the games or twitch prime.

Ideasmiths

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
This is the THIRD time....

when amazon 1st launched, I joined prime, search for those items that I want and put them in the cart, went searching for coupons....next day, the prices of these items went up!

Nebermind, emptied the cart. A 2nd time I put the items and again next day the price changes to be higher! I wrote about this April/May in hardwarezone....

Then I cancelled my prime. Yesterday needed some cpu and can't find any cheaper in Qoo10 or etc and loh and behold, the cheapest was Amazon Prime SG. So I signed up prime again $2.99 and put the item in the cart, but it was already too late so I didn't trigger the buy. Today the item is NO LONGER available.

So it may be true, amazon sg got some AI running in the background that tries to suck as much $ out from consumer, but in an unfair way....

Sigh.

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

when amazon 1st launched, I joined prime, search for those items that I want and put them in the cart, went searching for coupons....next day, the prices of these items went up!

Nebermind, emptied the cart. A 2nd time I put the items and again next day the price changes to be higher! I wrote about this April/May in hardwarezone....

Then I cancelled my prime. Yesterday needed some cpu and can't find any cheaper in Qoo10 or etc and loh and behold, the cheapest was Amazon Prime SG. So I signed up prime again $2.99 and put the item in the cart, but it was already too late so I didn't trigger the buy. Today the item is NO LONGER available.

So it may be true, amazon sg got some AI running in the background that tries to suck as much $ out from consumer, but in an unfair way....

Sigh.

:s22: u delay checkout then blame IA. Good deals dont wait for anyone

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Sigh.

Idea -> sign up for Prime only after you have decided to buy

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not surprising these e-tailers will monitor things people put in their carts. Happened once to me on Qoo10 as well where I put item in cart, added the coupons, then thought I can check out later. When I tried paying for it later, they told me coupon not applicable, so no discount. :s22:

kandinsky

Master Member
Reaction score
The staff at amazon sg is macham like monitoring watch list

They don't need staff to do that, they have been playing dynamic pricing for a long time.

In additional to the scale of change, the frequency of change is also impressive: on average, a product’s price changed every five days, while certain products’ prices changed up to 300 times in the year. Many of the price changes were automated and determined based on products’ sales predictions based on Amazon’s massive amount of shopping data and powerful machine learning algorithms.

https://medium.com/syncedreview/ai-powered-dynamic-pricing-is-everywhere-4271a9939d11

I've noticed one scenario for items on clearance price with very limited qty. Sometimes up to 3, sometimes just one. You can tell when you check your cart, and see the max qty you can add. Basically it's likely that you're not the only one beoing the price, and you just need person check it out, it's gone. :s13:

If you're talking about US/international selection, you can actually also track the item pricing via camelcamelcamel. And on amazon US you can actually see quite clearly state how many in stock if it is limited. And doesn't mean both will be sold at the clearance price. I've noticed that if I buy the item, straightaway it bounces back to non-clearance price.

aOINnvm.png

So the ideal is, once the price drop to your ideal point, mai tu liao just hoot. Some clearance items, I noticed will drop a few bucks very 1-2 days until someone checks it out. If nobody buys, then it will just hover at that price for awhile, then back to normal price. Just some observations...

Ark Law

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The staff at amazon sg is macham like monitoring watch list

Simi staff, all is algorithm liao. See your luck one. Certain stuff fluctuate very little, certain stuff can fluctuate like siao. A Geox show that retails for $270 in SG can range anywhere from £26-£90 on Amazon UK.

I've managed to snag jackets at £20 when MSRP is £95 and typical price is £40-£60. Sometimes price keep dropping until the last piece is gone. Sometimes price will suddenly shoot back up even though got a few pieces left. Sometimes you eye an item's price as it goes down a few dollars each day, only for it to go up again after someone else bought one.

See heng suay.

Ideasmiths

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Idea -> sign up for Prime only after you have decided to buy

Ya thats what I did in Apr 2018, found the cheapest at Prime sg, sign up, bought item then chop 3 days before renew....

Then yesterday found another item (Special deal for Prime Sg user) so I sign up but it was already 10pm so paisei didn't trigger. (the poor deliver guy last time came all the way from Jurong (I guess amazon warehouse) to deliver to me in the east)...then today want to buy wah pianz not even listed anymore...

Koenig168

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya thats what I did in Apr 2018, found the cheapest at Prime sg, sign up, bought item then chop 3 days before renew....

Then yesterday found another item (Special deal for Prime Sg user) so I sign up but it was already 10pm so paisei didn't trigger. (the poor deliver guy last time came all the way from Jurong (I guess amazon warehouse) to deliver to me in the east)...then today want to buy wah pianz not even listed anymore...

If you have SCB card, there is 10% cashback (capped at $10 per month) and rebate of monthly fee. FYI :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.