The Watch Thread - Part 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyrenic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One of the value for money and legible skeleton dial watches so far. Orientstar skeleton just dont really appeal to me. Was just thinking of getting a skeleton watch. :s22:

Yep, this one is pretty decent value.

Was thinking of getting the Skyraider Skeleton.. Until I saw the price then sian 1/2. Not that I don't think it's worth, Elshan's designs are always solid, but I don't know if I like skeleton enough to pay the price.

The main issue here for this piece, as some have pointed out online, is that the lume is quite comical. In the dark, you can't tell which hand is which. But that said, I never expected lume for a skeleton watch anyways.

Ed.YEO

Banned
Reaction score
JEvKOXx.jpg
oce10.jpg

http://movaswatches.com/oceaner-1/
:s13:叫我花一千六百多買下這只。。。總是會很糾結的。。。​

cyrenic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow that's a beauty. What brand and model is this? Wanna go read up on it :D
Ed linked the page. Movas Oceaner. Not liked a lot cos of the use of Chinese movements, which many people frown upon. I really like the design and build, and mine is keeping time quite well (within 5s per day) for a second hand piece that's 4 years old. :)

Mach8Fapper

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ed linked the page. Movas Oceaner. Not liked a lot cos of the use of Chinese movements, which many people frown upon. I really like the design and build, and mine is keeping time quite well (within 5s per day) for a second hand piece that's 4 years old. :)

yes the design and build looks insanely attractive to me. i almost feel like i want it on my wrist right now :(

any similar looking watches?

cyrenic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Stuff of dreams - I'm coining this The Onyx Demon. Unfortunately, it's not mine yet! :(

Bro, I just swapped out straps for Talos.

Much easier than Gorilla.

Nop's tips if it helps you later on:

1) Fit one end of spring bar into hole.
2) Move the other end as close to other hole as possible and push in.
3) Use spring bar tool to maneuver the other end into the other hole.

I suspect you won't find it a challenge. Quite the same as the Everest or Rubber B style straps.

Gorilla,.. That one is another story. Can't even see the hole. :s13:

cyrenic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes the design and build looks insanely attractive to me. i almost feel like i want it on my wrist right now :(

any similar looking watches?

Well, it draws a lot of inspiration from the PP Nautilus. But I'm sure you knew that already.

There are a ton of cheapish China random brand Nautilus homages. Bagelsport etc.

Mach8Fapper

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nautilus 5711? :s13:
woah even worse haha cant afford PP
Well, it draws a lot of inspiration from the PP Nautilus. But I'm sure you knew that already.

There are a ton of cheapish China random brand Nautilus homages. Bagelsport etc.

nope i didnt know hahaha im a noooob in this.

i actually thought it looked a bit similar to AP :s13:

cyrenic

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Sgd $1600 for this China movement not really commonly known brand watch is quite expensive.

The base cost of a Swiss drop in movement isn't that much more, but people are willing to pay such prices, even premium for a Black Bay ETA.

$4-5K for ETA2824? Vs $1.6K for Seagull? There would be still people who like it enough.

I started out looking at this piece when one of the guys I follow on IG posted pics of it that were gorgeous. Sure, not wholly original but there's enough injected DNA for me for it to be considered its own interpretation.

Then I started looking at YouTube, and this interview convinced me that I should support the brand. I think Sean is quite serious about improving on what he does. He assembles the later Movas pieces in house, and it seems that he also does (or takes part in) the servicing and maintenance of pieces that make their way back to him, which you can't say for many other brands, including the more popular mainstream ones. And I respect him for sticking to his guns and using Chinese movements despite the flak they get. If you follow his IG, I think you can see the passion he has for his designs and concept.

That said, I have a soft spot for local brands - I have tried numerous Zeloses (and kept 2 of them), Boldrs, Vilhelms, a few Gruppo Gamma, and am waiting for a Reverie on the way that's stuck in the Netherlands.

Really quite proud that we have a number of solid microbrands, and I don't see why we should hold it against the brands that target a niche market banking more on design rather than just pure movement or the value route. I do classify movas in the same category as Azimuth, which I do hope to be able to try some day too. Premium priced? Sure, but no less logical than RM or vintage Rolex, branding aside.

Last edited:

kSsSsSs

Reaction score
I will be going up to Berlin for a short trip next week, would like to check if any bros here done any shopping ng for rolex over there? Any recommendation gam xia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.