NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

nejezs

Reaction score
Time really flies and it has been more than 4 years since I last visited this thread. I remembered browsing this thread when I submitted my application to MOE and like most members here, was nervous about the interview.

I'm writing to share my experiences about teaching and hopefully someone can gain some insight into the job and make better decisions for themselves.

The dreaded interview

When I was called up for the interview, I was offered PE and English. The way the interview was conducted was true to what had already been mentioned to death in this thread. There was the short presentation and I was interviewed by a panel of four people. Of course, there was also the short essay.

I remembered being rushed into the interview room before I finished the essay because the interviewers were tired of waiting for the admin to be done. Luckily, I was almost done.

The presentation was prepared beforehand. My suggestion is to pick something that is related to your teaching subject and at least demonstrate that you have the potential to deliver the content. It's a really short presentation so no worries there.

After that came the question and answer. Questions were really HR related questions like why did you choose to teach English. Note that you can't really prepare for this as questions do change depending on the interviewer. In my case, since I was already a mid-career change applicant, they asked me why I chose teaching as my second career. Also, be mindful of questions that test you on integrity issues - e.g. what would you do if you discovered a colleague leaking exam questions? Just think on your feet and come up with sensible answers and you'll do alright.

By the end of the interview, I kind of knew the interview was a success as they told me to quickly go take the fitness test. :D

The fitness test for PE teachers (skip this part if it doesn't apply to you)

The fitness test cannot be underestimated. I was in my late thirties when I took the test. This is NOT IPPT or NAPFA. Getting a gold in NAPFA does not guarantee a pass. Test takers have been known to fail the gymnastics and agility run component. Be sure to practise for those components on your own before taking the test.

Badminton as long as you can stroke and move well round the court you'll do alright. For the ball game, just run into space and keep communicating with your teammates. For swimming, there is no time limit. So just enjoy a relaxing swim.

Life in a secondary school

Life in school wasn't really bad. As a contract teacher, you are not really loaded with lots of duties. Of course, if you go through NIE to become a trained teacher, you will get more and more responsibilities. Your HOD will brief you on these details.

From my observations, teachers do indeed need to handle a fair bit of administrative work. About 60% of the time, they are engaged in operational issues - form teacher duties, CCA, marking, entering data, setting papers, manning special programs, etc. This isn't a bad thing if you enjoy these activities but they do take up quite a fair bit of your time.

As a result, teaching kind of takes a back seat. If you are looking purely to focus more on teaching, private tutoring is a more appropriate route. Besides, it's sometimes not within a teacher's control as to the type of students that they get. In most classes, there are always a handful of bad eggs that spoil the broth. They are hyperactive or have boundary issues and just disrupt lessons - thus making teaching less feasible and enjoyable.

I preferred to have more freedom in my teaching methods and spend more time teaching than handling operational issues. So I opted to go back to private tutoring after my contract stint.

Life as a private tutor

One of the perks of being a private tutor is NOT having more free time - it's being able to choose the students whom I can work with. If a student continues to misbehave despite numerous warnings and reminders, I have the option to drop the student. As a school teacher, this option is unavailable.

Although being a private tutor means that I'm not bogged down by school admin duties, it does mean that I have to take responsibility of other tasks such as student recruitment and resource creation. And both can be rather time consuming.

Next year will be my fifth year in private tutoring and for sure, there are ups and downs. However, considering everything, I still prefer being a private tutor as it suits me more. Maybe being a school teacher suits you better? Who knows. If you're really keen, just try it out.

Good luck to your interview and enjoy your teaching journey!

Hi, thanks for sharing! Mind sharing with us how many students do you have in your portfolio, how many hours do you work per week and on avg how much are you earning per month for a full time private tutor?

Mamimo

Reaction score
Congrats! Sorry if you don’t mind sharing When was your application period and Your interview?

I just got an email from them indicating that they are still processing my application and if it goes through placement would be in June/July. Such a Long wait 😅😅😅😅.

Anyone received a similar one?

I just received my offer letter today.

vonpip

Reaction score
Hi all, just received my letter of offer today for PGDE Sec (Eng, Lit). Here is my timeline:

Applied during Aug-Sept window
Received email for interview on 22nd Oct
Went for interview on 29th Oct
Received email for shortlist on 20th Nov
Received email for medical on 22nd Nov
Went for medical on 3rd Dec
Received offer on 21st Dec
Briefing on 10th Jan

My guess is that they are in the midst of processing the second batch now (the first batch went for the briefing on 20th Dec). Their website states that letters of offer will be sent out up till 3rd Jan, so those that are still waiting just hang in there.

nooz17

Reaction score
Congrats! Sorry if you don’t mind sharing When was your application period and Your interview?

I just got an email from them indicating that they are still processing my application and if it goes through placement would be in June/July. Such a Long wait 😅😅😅😅.

i did too.

pmamate

Reaction score

Yea I got this too. I guess all those who have not went for medical receive this. Another long wait ensues hahaha

happybaby89

Reaction score

My timeline:

Interview: 6/6/18
Medical check up: 21/09/18
Offer letter: today

Wish u all the best:))

poppyave

Reaction score
wonder if it's only PGDE candidates that have been receiving offers. i'm a DipEd candidate and did medical about a month ago and just anxiously waiting for any news from them. just dropped them an email to check on the application status, hope all's good :")

Rtcninty2

Reaction score
Yep same. I received that email too. haven’t gone for medical as well.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.