Neighbour sold BTO unit, value doubled. Shd i? Buy what then?

bermudas

Reaction score
Dear gents/ladies,

Rarely do i start a thread in HWZ. Here's just seeking opinions.

My neighbour just sold his unit for 880K. Bought during BTO at 390K.

I have an identical unit. My loan left 246K thereabout.

Would it be wise for me to sell it off and consider an EC/PC and be saddled with more loans? Or shd i consider buying a smaller resale unit 4-rm HDB and not have a loan at all?

Mid-30s, no kid.

Tot of capitalising the profits. But undecided what to do next.

I was thinking, even if i were to buy a 1mil EC/PC, i dont think it will appreciate that much too in the future.

Any laojiaos can advise?

SBC

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tiagong can sell 1-mil few years later. Why sell now?

quailmaster

Reaction score
Depends on whether you need the cash and whats your long term view of property prices

Hdb / condo in good location is very likely to retain value in long term

With cash, you can buy into an index fund when the market crashes and potentially reap decent profit

Merg91

Master Member
Reaction score
Many Sinkies strike gold in properties.
Holding a Hdb only can't be those above.

Dream catcher

Reaction score
Dear gents/ladies,

Would it be wise for me to sell it off and consider an EC/PC and be saddled with more loans? Or shd i consider buying a smaller resale unit 4-rm HDB and not have a loan at all?

Mid-30s, no kid.

I was thinking, even if i were to buy a 1mil EC/PC, i dont think it will appreciate that much too in the future.

Any laojiaos can advise?

Sell and keep the $500K profits. But will you be able to accept living in a less prime location resale 4 room that is $350K - $400K ? If can accept, then why not, after all cash is always king.

bermudas

Reaction score
Thank you all for the inputs so far. Hope to hear more views.

take profit 500k and stay financially free in a resale hdb
It will be 400K cash while the rest goes into CPF OA etc.

Can you compromise a poorer location ?
I dont mind staying where i am now (north-east) or Tamp/P. Ris.

Not keen to be near Orchard or whatsoever.

Depends on whether you need the cash and whats your long term view of property prices

Hdb / condo in good location is very likely to retain value in long term

With cash, you can buy into an index fund when the market crashes and potentially reap decent profit
I dont hv a dire need for cash etc at this point of time. But i note ur financial advice.

Many Sinkies strike gold in properties.
Holding a Hdb only can't be those above.
Noted of the hint bro.

Sell and keep the $500K profits. But will you be able to accept living in a less prime location resale 4 room that is $350K - $400K ? If can accept, then why not, after all cash is always king.
Actually my current location is not AMK or TPY which SGs typically tend to consider as PRIME location. I dont really hv a fancy for AMK/TPY as well as i grew up in the east.

Ma'am is fine with living in a 4-rm HDB. At least no internal staircase. I am still not swayed with the idea of a resale 4-rm HDB. She wants an UNBLOCKED VIEW though.

yoongf

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The annual loan interest adds to your cost of the flat. Effectively, the longer u hold, your cost goes up.
If sell n replace with a loan free property. This interest will not be an issue.
As one ages, the peace of mind of being debt free is priceless.
Odd ball high psf buyers are hard to come by. If can hook one, i will go for it.

But as usual, own stay home has sentimental value, so priorities may be different

matcha18

Reaction score
Dear gents/ladies,

Mid-30s, no kid.

Any laojiaos can advise?

Is this EA/EM in NE Hougang/SK/Punggol? $880k is rather unheard of in the NE. Is this reliable news?

bermudas

Reaction score
The annual loan interest adds to your cost of the flat. Effectively, the longer u hold, your cost goes up.
If sell n replace with a loan free property. This interest will not be an issue.
As one ages, the peace of mind of being debt free is priceless.
Odd ball high psf buyers are hard to come by. If can hook one, i will go for it.

But as usual, own stay home has sentimental value, so priorities may be different
I agree with your point about being sentimental due to it being our first matrimonial home.

Ur point of wanting to be debt-free is also noted.

Personally I will sell and buy a new 1, just to refresh a house with longer tenor.
A new and cheaper (which means smaller) unit i guess u r implying.

Ts ur place is where?
Duxton ah???
Punggol. Not a prime location like Tg Pagar/AMK/TPY/Bishan.

You hougang massionette issit. How come can sell so high 880k?
Coz its a unique unit. Only 2 per building.

Is this EA/EM in NE Hougang/SK/Punggol? $880k is rather unheard of in the NE. Is this reliable news?
Its a 5-rm loft unit. I have no time for #fakenews like Trump la bro.

Thank you all.

vinz

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Blk 305B Punggol Road.

147sqm.
Premium Apartment Loft.

Lease from 2012.

High floor unit.

Transacted in November 2018
$870k.

Another similar unit
Blk 306D
Transacted at 800k.

Don't believe can do your own checks.

Pls click : HDB resale price

Last edited:

derrickgoh

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Loft units esp one of that size are pretty rare AFAIK. Personally, unless i really need the $ i rather live in it & enjoy. Its quite near punggol mrt & waterwaypoint too.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.