Comparison of SIM only plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synnexo

Reaction score
Screenshot from singtel and it say it all no need too much word....lol
gTjrIsAl.png

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX 3 using GAGT

Speedtest results doesn't always equate to real world usage tho.

I've seen places with SingTel 4G of 40+ Mbps but couldn't load things as fast as M1 4G while have speed of around 20-30Mbps in the same location.

Sent from Xiaomi MI MIX 2 using GAGT

Unfortunately most people form judgement based on snapshots of experience & stereotype frames rather than deep knowledge.

Lohsenglte is right about the fact that Speedtest results doesn’t reflect real world usage or applications. I think it’s for folks who are obsess with nothing but virtual speed results & use it to convince themselves & people around them that their judgement is correct.

minimalis

Reaction score
If you only have 1 eligible line, why still have MLS back then? Lol

Lol. Good spotting. I think it was a mistake on one of the CSO’s part a few years ago when I recontracted. Moreover it was the highest tier at 25%.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lol. Good spotting. I think it was a mistake on one of the CSO’s part a few years ago when I recontracted. Moreover it was the highest tier at 25%.
Oh so your number of eligible lines drop from 3 to 0 now?

musiKchYld

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a noob query which I hope experts here can help.

I'm on Singtel 12-month SIM-only plan which will expire on Jan 10 next year. Been looking around for a new SIM-only plan across 3 telcos but the current promotions don't really catch my interest. So I'm thinking of... waiting for better promotion to come along.

What I want to know is, what will happen when I let this Singtel 12-month SIM-only plan lapse, without renewal on my part? Singtel also didn't contact me about recontracting.

Will my line be disconnected? What plan will I be on then?

Thanks for your help!

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately most people form judgement based on snapshots of experience & stereotype frames rather than deep knowledge.

Lohsenglte is right about the fact that Speedtest results doesn’t reflect real world usage or applications. I think it’s for folks who are obsess with nothing but virtual speed results & use it to convince themselves & people around them that their judgement is correct.
Yes thanks for backing me up. Most applications won't need speeds beyond 20Mbps, not even 1080p streaming (@ 60fps). Unless you're downloading big files, which on the paltry data caps of some plans I doubt people are doing.

The more important thing beyond 20Mbps is mainly the latency already.

As you can see in the screenshots below, M1 network isn't the fastest among the three in the raw speed aspect for OpenSignal reports, but the overall video experience is far ahead of rivals as well as 4G latency.

What does it mean? Raw speed isn't super important now, it's about the initial connection to the server that's more important.

JVzJyE4l.png

https://opensignal.com/blog/2018/10/31/a-big-gap-exists-between-the-best-and-worst-countries-for-video-experience-in-east-asia/

AWyqYtXl.png

https://opensignal.com/blog/2018/12/12/singapores-secret-mobile-broadband-weapon-latency/

w975DZJl.png

https://opensignal.com/reports/2018/11/singapore/mobile-networks-update

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a noob query which I hope experts here can help.

I'm on Singtel 12-month SIM-only plan which will expire on Jan 10 next year. Been looking around for a new SIM-only plan across 3 telcos but the current promotions don't really catch my interest. So I'm thinking of... waiting for better promotion to come along.

What I want to know is, what will happen when I let this Singtel 12-month SIM-only plan lapse, without renewal on my part? Singtel also didn't contact me about recontracting.

Will my line be disconnected? What plan will I be on then?

Thanks for your help!
You won't be disconnected from SingTel network, but the following things will apply:

- All additional talktime and SMS bundle will be removed. You'll be left with just free incoming calls and SMS. Talktime and SMS add-ons are available tho, either at packaged prices or pay per use rates.

- Promo data bundle will be removed as well. It'll be reverted back to 3GB base plan ($20/mth) + $5.35/GB.
For example, 5GB SIM-Only ($20/mth) will be back to 3GB bundle. 10GB SIM-Only ($36.05/mth) will be back to 6GB bundle (3GB base + 3GB extra @ $5.35/GB).

All the plans here exclude any VAS charges (eg Caller ID).

Last edited:

musiKchYld

Reaction score
You won't be disconnected from SingTel network, but the following things will apply:

- All additional talktime and SMS bundle will be removed. You'll be left with just free incoming calls and SMS. Talktime and SMS add-ons are available tho, either at packaged prices or pay per use rates.

- Promo data bundle will be removed as well. It'll be reverted back to 3GB base plan ($20/mth) + $5.35/GB.
For example, 5GB SIM-Only ($20/mth) will be back to 3GB bundle. 10GB SIM-Only ($36.05/mth) will be back to 6GB bundle (3GB base + 3GB extra @ $5.35/GB).

All the plans here exclude any VAS charges (eg Caller ID).

Thanks for your reply!

In that case, if I decided up to switch over and sign up for M1 plan before the 10 January, will there be any termination charges or early termination charges from Singtel? (since it's 1 year contract, not sure if it's the same treatment as other 2-year more expensive Combo plans)

Or based on your opinion, do you think it would be better to go sign up for the M1 plan on 10 January itself, so that Singtel will lapse naturally without any possible termination charges to me?

yotoden

Reaction score
I also sometimes face inconsistent connection in NEX but don't rmb having the problem in ION Orchard tho.

I normally don't frequent those places anyway so it doesn't affect me that much.

In term of pricing I have to agree Singtel most expensive.

M1 user can try to access data network inside Imperial Treasure, not sure got improvement now? Been a while didn’t go there.

yotoden

Reaction score
Same, started with SH > ST > M1 and back to SH.

ST signal is best and speed is also fastest, but downside is the most expensive.

M1 is above average and previously before SH came out with SIM only plan, really nothing to complain about the value & performance.

15 years later and today back on SH because of coporate business plan, still as shitty as usual. Lousy signal in alot of places.

Oh thanks, then I won’t recommend SH to friends.

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply!

In that case, if I decided up to switch over and sign up for M1 plan before the 10 January, will there be any termination charges or early termination charges from Singtel? (since it's 1 year contract, not sure if it's the same treatment as other 2-year more expensive Combo plans)

Or based on your opinion, do you think it would be better to go sign up for the M1 plan on 10 January itself, so that Singtel will lapse naturally without any possible termination charges to me?

Suggest to port over and sign up on the day after expiry date instead.

Porting process usually done in the evening and completed by midnight weekday.

Contract expiry date is the last day of contract.
Termination on and before expiry would occur termination charges which is usually based by per month subscription.

If you are unsure please do check & confirm with Telco CSO.

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply!

Termination on and before expiry would occur termination charges which is usually based by per month subscription.

Yes, it's recommended to port over only on 11 Jan. Yes you'll have to restrict your usages on the days that are not on contract till you port over, but it's worth it cause penalty charges for SingTel SIM-Only is the whole month worth of subscription iirc.

galaxyuser

Reaction score
To make things clear, porting takes place 11pm of the said porting date. Porting process ends by midnight.

musiKchYld

Reaction score
Yes, it's recommended to port over only on 11 Jan. Yes you'll have to restrict your usages on the days that are not on contract till you port over, but it's worth it cause penalty charges for SingTel SIM-Only is the whole month worth of subscription iirc.

One further question though:

My contract ends on 10 Jan right?

So if I go port over to M1 on 11 Jan, and assuming for some whatever reasons, the porting over is only completed on 12 Jan, which means I'd be still be on Singtel plan on 11 Jan.

In that case, will I still be liable to a full month's subscription charge of Singtel for just that 1 day's 11 Jan usage? Or will it be pro-rated instead?

And one more question: I've never ported over to any telco before. Been with Singtel forever. Will there be there any issues with porting over, like delay in sending SMS/calls or something? I remember a long time ago I've read news of/heard of people facing a lot of issues when they ported over their numbers. But not sure if the technology now is better nowadays.

Would appreciate any advice before I port over to M1.

Thank you eric3743 and lohsenglte so much for your advice! I really appreciate it!

lohsenglte

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
One further question though:

My contract ends on 10 Jan right?

So if I go port over to M1 on 11 Jan, and assuming for some whatever reasons, the porting over is only completed on 12 Jan, which means I'd be still be on Singtel plan on 11 Jan.

In that case, will I still be liable to a full month's subscription charge of Singtel for just that 1 day's 11 Jan usage? Or will it be pro-rated instead?

And one more question: I've never ported over to any telco before. Been with Singtel forever. Will there be there any issues with porting over, like delay in sending SMS/calls or something? I remember a long time ago I've read news of/heard of people facing a lot of issues when they ported over their numbers. But not sure if the technology now is better nowadays.

Would appreciate any advice before I port over to M1.

Thank you eric3743 and lohsenglte so much for your advice! I really appreciate it!
It'll be prorated for the day of usage, subscription charges etc.

The porting process depends on telco. Last time when switching from SingTel to M1, I couldn't access data services at all after 4pm on my SingTel line, had to use the M1 line with the temporary number to access the web.

Voice calls was working though.

I'm not sure if the billing issue still happen on SingTel network or not though, I ported over back in 2013.

Joelleyuan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, i switched from M1 to StarHub,
so i received my ST sim card on tue, where the delivery guy also told me the line should be ported over in 2 days,
but till now (Sat night) four days already my line is still not ported over. my M1 line is still working.
is this normal?
or izzit this 2 weeks they're overwhelmed with pple switching telcos/plans so it's taking longer than usual?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.