Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Norton has a new Norton Secure VPN that charges yearly subscription.

Anyone already tried? Will it work in China (eg let you access Facebook, Youtube etc?).

TIA.

Edit : Spoke to support from Norton, they said cannot due to China's policy.

If the VPN vendors are following China government policy, then there will no VPN targeting consumers because they are against the law. Only approved business organization can set up VPN for business use.

ExpressVPN, Nord and Astrill are some of the traditional VPN solutions known to work in China.

Then there are quite some many ShadowSocks (SS/SSR) solution providers which can bypass the great firewall (aka GFW) in China. They are usually faster than traditional VPN. There are new stuff like V2Ray and WireGuard.

Avlis123

Reaction score
I've tried both Express and Nord over the course of two years. I ended up sticking with Nord simply because of the price. Between the two providers I didn't really feel a huge difference in the service quality so I decided I'll better save a few bucks a month. Both of them proved to be pretty good.

Cirevek67

Reaction score

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Is it necessary to use a VPN to download torrents? Heard something about Dallas buyers club but nothing seem to come out of the case?

Not necessary, but advised to. I'm sure you don't want to get a knock on your door for copyright violations. A VPN has a lot of use cases and most of them offer really cheap subscription plans ATM.

After the last dallas buyers club case, the high court decided that a IP address is insufficient evidence to pinpoint the user who pirates

The AGC and the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (Ipos) said they highlighted to the court that SSLC did not submit "sufficient evidence" to show a link between the IP addresses and alleged illegal downloaders. It was on such grounds that the case was dismissed.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/high-court-throws-out-hollywood-movie-piracy-case?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&xtor=CS1-10#link_time=1492645899

Only the lawyers in the dallas buyers club case face punishment for their conduct

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/lawyers-dallas-buyers-club-action-face-punishment

Considering that an IP address is the only way as far as I know that the copyright holder can identify a downloader, I think most pirates are safe.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
Norton has a new Norton Secure VPN that charges yearly subscription.

Anyone already tried? Will it work in China (eg let you access Facebook, Youtube etc?).

TIA.

Edit : Spoke to support from Norton, they said cannot due to China's policy.

Set up a VPN on your own router or computer on your network.

I setup a openVPN server on my network for some of my relatives when they went to china and it worked fine.

b_ongzhenyu

Reaction score
Thinking of getting windscribe, is 3year, 5year or lifetime more worth? I think it's the cheapest or affordable VPN right now. anyone has any promo code to bring down the price more? please pm me.

Cirevek67

Reaction score
After the last dallas buyers club case, the high court decided that a IP address is insufficient evidence to pinpoint the user who pirates

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/high-court-throws-out-hollywood-movie-piracy-case?utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook&xtor=CS1-10#link_time=1492645899

Only the lawyers in the dallas buyers club case face punishment for their conduct

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/lawyers-dallas-buyers-club-action-face-punishment

Considering that an IP address is the only way as far as I know that the copyright holder can identify a downloader, I think most pirates are safe.
You can't really look at a single case to decide on this matter. I have read a lot of different stories where people were fined crazy amounts of money over a single movie. There's no point in taking the risk, rather just use a VPN to make sure you avoid these problems, especially when there are cheap deals by most providers.

dryteletubby

Reaction score
You can't really look at a single case to decide on this matter. I have read a lot of different stories where people were fined crazy amounts of money over a single movie. There's no point in taking the risk, rather just use a VPN to make sure you avoid these problems, especially when there are cheap deals by most providers.

What case did you read? The only other copyright case I know is the odex thing form 2008.

Also there is no such thing as finned crazy amount. Those who payed up were intimidated by the lawyers letter. In the end the lawyers from the same Dallas buyers club movie who wrote those letters were punished. Those who ignored the letter got away scott free. There is an entire subreddit dedicated to the drama.

Unless bittorrent undergoes a significant redesign, the only "personally identifiable information" will be the wan IP address. Considering the relevant authorities decided that IP address is insufficient evidence as quoted below. There is probably no way as far as I know that a copyright holder can find other evidence to pinpoint the downloader

:The AGC and the Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (Ipos) said they highlighted to the court that SSLC did not submit "sufficient evidence" to show a link between the IP addresses and alleged illegal downloaders. It was on such grounds that the case was dismissed.

Last edited:

cstanhwz

Master Member
Reaction score
If the VPN vendors are following China government policy, then there will no VPN targeting consumers because they are against the law. Only approved business organization can set up VPN for business use.

ExpressVPN, Nord and Astrill are some of the traditional VPN solutions known to work in China.

Then there are quite some many ShadowSocks (SS/SSR) solution providers which can bypass the great firewall (aka GFW) in China. They are usually faster than traditional VPN. There are new stuff like V2Ray and WireGuard.

Thanks for the info. :)

Set up a VPN on your own router or computer on your network.

I setup a openVPN server on my network for some of my relatives when they went to china and it worked fine.

Haha...I not sure how to do it :o

Nevermind, for the time being, stick to my pre-paid Starhub Happy roaming. At least still can access the sites that I need to. Just no unlimited data. :s13:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Nevermind, for the time being, stick to my pre-paid Starhub Happy roaming. At least still can access the sites that I need to. Just no unlimited data. :s13:

Yes StarHub prepaid is the way to go for short trip.

Other than the slower Seed4Me VPN (free trial for one year, iOS and Android), I also found another free one Turbo VPN (Android only, iOS app not in Singapore Apple App Store) which works in China as well and the speed is much faster (5.59Mbps down, 21.2Mbps up, from Digital Ocean server to SingTel server).

Review is pretty much not so good so it can probably be only for short time usage.

Last edited:

260Wolskel

Reaction score
Just landed in Kunming, Starhub post pay auto-roam work with WhatsApp and Facebook. No need VPN.

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i like expressvpn but too pricey
tried Nord but didn't like it. slower speed & you don't really virtually appear as the country you connected to (e.g i may be connected to US server but somehow i still as as UK connection. strange ...

looking at surfshark now ... anyone can share their experiences with this VPN, any issues so far?

I've tried both Express and Nord over the course of two years. I ended up sticking with Nord simply because of the price. Between the two providers I didn't really feel a huge difference in the service quality so I decided I'll better save a few bucks a month. Both of them proved to be pretty good.

huge357

Reaction score
i like expressvpn but too pricey
tried Nord but didn't like it. slower speed & you don't really virtually appear as the country you connected to (e.g i may be connected to US server but somehow i still as as UK connection. strange ...

looking at surfshark now ... anyone can share their experiences with this VPN, any issues so far?

I tried it for a few weeks. I did notice their servers are similar to what nordvpn resolves to when doing speed tests (ie Leaseweb, M247 etc) so I am thinking there is some reselling going on. Performance like Nord as well but they are a bit cheaper at 1.99 month.

I decided to terminate since i still have some nord left and the performance is the same. Refund process very easy and fast it got creditted to my paypal in 2 hours.

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks for your sharing

unfortunately didn't have same experience like you with nord. connection to usa server may get resolved to uk location. and the speed tests were terrible.

I tried it for a few weeks. I did notice their servers are similar to what nordvpn resolves to when doing speed tests (ie Leaseweb, M247 etc) so I am thinking there is some reselling going on. Performance like Nord as well but they are a bit cheaper at 1.99 month.

I decided to terminate since i still have some nord left and the performance is the same. Refund process very easy and fast it got creditted to my paypal in 2 hours.

camile89

Reaction score
thanks for your sharing

unfortunately didn't have same experience like you with nord. connection to usa server may get resolved to uk location. and the speed tests were terrible.

Haha. Same experience for nord. I like express too but terminated due to pricing factor. Has good UI, good for streaming but not for torrenting. Worked well with my tv box though but i feel like i am under utilizing it for the price.

And then i went on to try surfshark. Their IKEv2(fastest) protocol on windows PC didnt work for me. Neither did it work for netflix on my andriod tv box.

Now thinking which vpn service to try next. I need one that can bypass netflix/kodi and good for torrent.

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
fortunately IKEv2 works for me ... speed was quite simiiar to openVPN (udp). speedwise pretty close to ISP

android client needs additional installs to add OpenVPN, i guess it didn't work for you coz it defaults to IKEv2

may i know what speed are you getting for netflix test (fast.com)? am gettng 13~18mbps which is borderline for 4K stream

Haha. Same experience for nord. I like express too but terminated due to pricing factor. Has good UI, good for streaming but not for torrenting. Worked well with my tv box though but i feel like i am under utilizing it for the price.

And then i went on to try surfshark. Their IKEv2(fastest) protocol on windows PC didnt work for me. Neither did it work for netflix on my andriod tv box.

Now thinking which vpn service to try next. I need one that can bypass netflix/kodi and good for torrent.

kevinlaikf

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i had followed some threads here on WiFi VPN servers running but did not get conclusive answers. Mostly i see issues with limitations or multiple retries required.

Need help setting a new wireless router with a VPN paid account.

i just need a VPN wireless connectivity for Kodi and IPTV, while connect to general wifi for general use.

Any recommendation a wireless VPN AP and VPN provider?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.