[Official] Playstation 4 PS4 club - Part 3

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Guys I have a question about physical games. If I had a game installed, R3 region, let’s say I lost the disc, game on the console itself was never uninstalled and save files were never deleted. If I purchase a R1 or R2 region game (same game of course), would I still be able to load and play my old data? Strictly speaking for offline mode, not playing on PSN.
An installed game and game saves are separate. Deleting an installed game from PS4 hard disk does not delete the save (and vice versa).

Different region versions of the same game typically have different product code, and the save files are not cross-region compatible. (Similarly for DLCs.) So it is important to buy back the same region.

However many games have some cross-region compatibility, like R3 may be compatible (same product code) with R1 but not R2, or R3 may be compatible with R2 but not R1. So it depends.

You can check the product code (typically CUSAxxxxx) on the game disc, on the game case cover or spine, or you can look up the game on PSN store (using a web browser) and check the URL address. (Generally product code is a good way to determine, but there may be exceptions.)

Also some games (especially online games) have save files stored on server, no local save on PS4 HDD. For these games, they may be cross-region compatible. (Eg. Destiny 2, I played R1, then deleted it, installed R3, can continue the save as if nothing changed, deleted R3, re-installed R1, still works.)

cutthroat

Reaction score
An installed game and game saves are separate. Deleting an installed game from PS4 hard disk does not delete the save (and vice versa).

Different region versions of the same game typically have different product code, and the save files are not cross-region compatible. (Similarly for DLCs.) So it is important to buy back the same region.

However many games have some cross-region compatibility, like R3 may be compatible (same product code) with R1 but not R2, or R3 may be compatible with R2 but not R1. So it depends.

You can check the product code (typically CUSAxxxxx) on the game disc, on the game case cover or spine, or you can look up the game on PSN store (using a web browser) and check the URL address. (Generally product code is a good way to determine, but there may be exceptions.)

Also some games (especially online games) have save files stored on server, no local save on PS4 HDD. For these games, they may be cross-region compatible. (Eg. Destiny 2, I played R1, then deleted it, installed R3, can continue the save as if nothing changed, deleted R3, re-installed R1, still works.)

Okay so if i don't have the CD or the Case cover anymore, is there any way to tell which region the game i have installed is?

bhkpop

Reaction score
New in this PS4.... Last time my console gaming life stops at PS2, then busy with work and marriage...

Just bought the console, no game at all. Recommend on what I need to do?
- I need to create account, is this what we called PSN+ and to have that I would need to pay subscription fee annually?
- I have many desire to play old games, should i go for digital or just 2nd hand physical, such as batman series, mgs?
- Is the game region important? I read somewhere that region will only affected if there is DLC, but the main game should not be affected. Is that right? How about the digital version, do they also have region linked to it?

I think that will be it for now.. Thanks in advanced to kind soul for helping to solve my confusion.

Last edited:

Trueblue82

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if u are planning to save some money can go for physical and sell 2nd hand.
digital is hassle free and space saving.
Once u start up the ps4, it will guide you thru the process of setting up psn.
Games are region free.

Just go buy your first game and play, no need think so much.:s22:

New in this PS4.... Last time my console gaming life stops at PS2, then busy with work and marriage...

- I need to create account, is this what we called PSN+ and to have that I would need to pay subscription fee annually?
- I have many desire to play old games, should i go for digital or just 2nd hand physical, such as batman series, mgs?
- Is the game region important? I read somewhere that region will only affected if there is DLC, but the main game should not be affected. Is that right? How about the digital version, do they also have region linked to it?

I think that will be it for now.. Thanks in advanced to kind soul for helping to solve my confusion.

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Okay so if i don't have the CD or the Case cover anymore, is there any way to tell which region the game i have installed is?
Copy the game's save file(s) to USB thumb drive (easier if you use one that doesn't already have game saves copied to it before). Connect the thumb drive to a PC, look at folder PS4, then folder SAVEDATA, there will be a folder with 16 alphanumeric characters (this is probably an encrypted code for your PSN account that played the game). Under that, you will see one folder for each game. The folder name is the Product ID like CUSAxxxxx.

Then go to each PSN store using a PC web browser (US/R1, UK/R2, SG/R3, logout first if you are already logged in, otherwise you can only go to the region store you are logged in to). Search for the game, and look at the URL address. Or go to gamefaqs site, search the game, home>release data, they list the various region product id.

bhkpop

Reaction score
if u are planning to save some money can go for physical and sell 2nd hand.
digital is hassle free and space saving.
Once u start up the ps4, it will guide you thru the process of setting up psn.
Games are region free.

Just go buy your first game and play, no need think so much.:s22:

thanks for the reply hahaha..
for the games when you say region free, i saw some seller stating R1 or R2, etc.. will it compatible with my ps4?

kennerv

Master Member
Reaction score
thanks for the reply hahaha..
for the games when you say region free, i saw some seller stating R1 or R2, etc.. will it compatible with my ps4?
Ps4 can play all regions games. Region is for dlc purposes. Sg store dlc need region3 disc.

Sent from Samsung SM-N960F using GAGT

networked

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Married with earning power should hoot digital on sale games. Who cares the $15-$20 physical so called rental, rush to play and resale. Why not pay the $20-30 digital sale price and own the game? So free to meet buyers and sellers after work? Make appt but buyer last minute make excuse fly kite. To me its simply not worth the effort and time. Unless you are a student, can quickly finish games and have flexible to meet for trade or sell.

Now is the best time to hoot and collect the good and older games from psn store. Uncharted, horizon dawn and others all less than $10 usd.

Mgs andBatman u need to wait for warner sales usually July to aug. Mid year time

Last edited:

cutthroat

Reaction score
Copy the game's save file(s) to USB thumb drive (easier if you use one that doesn't already have game saves copied to it before). Connect the thumb drive to a PC, look at folder PS4, then folder SAVEDATA, there will be a folder with 16 alphanumeric characters (this is probably an encrypted code for your PSN account that played the game). Under that, you will see one folder for each game. The folder name is the Product ID like CUSAxxxxx.

Then go to each PSN store using a PC web browser (US/R1, UK/R2, SG/R3, logout first if you are already logged in, otherwise you can only go to the region store you are logged in to). Search for the game, and look at the URL address. Or go to gamefaqs site, search the game, home>release data, they list the various region product id.

Okay got it, will try that at home. Really glad people like you are around to help idiots like me! The game im looking for, it's quite hard to get hold of for R3. So if it doesn't work out, i'll have to fork out more and purchase the digital copy. Which brings me to my next question.

The current 15% promo code, does it stack with the 10% from PSN membership? On top of the hefty holiday sales they alrdy have? If it does then ill get a 1 month membership to save some as i plan to buy quite a few games.

bhkpop

Reaction score
Married with earning power should hoot digital on sale games. Who cares the $15-$20 physical so called rental, rush to play and resale. Why not pay the $20-30 digital sale price and own the game? So free to meet buyers and sellers after work? Make appt but buyer last time make excuse fly kite. To me its simply not worth the effort and time. Unless you are a student.

Now is the best time to hoot and collect the good and older games from psn store. Uncharted, horizon dawn and others all less than $10 usd.

Mgs andBatman u need to wait for warner sales usually July to aug. Mid year time

appreciated for the input bro... less than 10USD is really good.. gonna check them out

DrBaldwin

Reaction score
Okay got it, will try that at home. Really glad people like you are around to help idiots like me! The game im looking for, it's quite hard to get hold of for R3. So if it doesn't work out, i'll have to fork out more and purchase the digital copy. Which brings me to my next question.

The current 15% promo code, does it stack with the 10% from PSN membership? On top of the hefty holiday sales they alrdy have? If it does then ill get a 1 month membership to save some as i plan to buy quite a few games.

The 15% discount code is happily stackable with existing discounted titles.

You can add and checkout a limit of 10 items in the cart. Do note there is also a limit of $200 nett value of total in-cart titles (i.e. your total purchase, after discount, cannot exceed $200).

Last edited:

dio brando

Master Member
Reaction score
any Atelier experts here? want to get in the series, which one on PS4 is a good choice for beginner? (trying to kill time before RE2re)

did abit research, sophie no time limit, firis very open world game direction with time limit, not considering the twins one.

how about arland trilogy recently ported to PS4? most interested in totori. (should be a reason totori getting no.2 on popularity)

personally interested with firis or totori. which of 5 better for beginner? time limit not a problem. of course not bloody strict that kind for someone who nvr play before.

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
Yes, it stacks. Many of the games in the sale have additional 10% off for PS+ members. This additional 10% is 10% of the original price, not of the sale price. So if original price is S$100, sale price is 50% off = S$50, PS+ gets additional 10% = S$40, not S$45. One month PS+ is S$6.90. So if the original prices of all the games you want to buy add up to S$69 or more, it's worth getting 1 month just for it. (Something like that lah, I haven't considered the 15% in the calculation. Maybe original price need to be S$82 or more. Just work on your list of games and compare.)

After you put all the games into the shopping cart (and enjoy the additional 10% PS+ discount, if any), you apply the 15% code onto the cart total. Note that typically you can only use the code once. So make sure you put everything into the cart (max 10 items) before checking out together. (Some of these promotions you get codes in mailbox etc., so you may have multiple codes. Even so, you can only apply such code once per account per promotion; even if you have more codes available, you already used one in the promo, can't use another.)

Note that these cart discounts (15% in this case) do not apply to PS+ membership, pre-orders, Spotify.

PierceLee

Master Member
Reaction score
any Atelier experts here? want to get in the series, which one on PS4 is a good choice for beginner? (trying to kill time before RE2re)

did abit research, sophie no time limit, firis very open world game direction with time limit, not considering the twins one.

how about arland trilogy recently ported to PS4? most interested in totori. (should be a reason totori getting no.2 on popularity)

personally interested with firis or totori. which of 5 better for beginner? time limit not a problem. of course not bloody strict that kind for someone who nvr play before.
Haha I totally lost track. Honestly I haven't played most of them but watched some let's plays or reviews. Generally my impression is that the newest is always the best, it gets more user friendly (less or no time limit). The 'mysterious' trilogy (Sophie, Firis, Lydie and Suelle) should be good start.

Firis has time limit at first, have to get your alchemist license in a year, but after unlocking that, no more time limit. I think Sophie no time limit. Lydie and Suelle also no limit (time still passes, like seasons, but it will just warp around).

If I play, I will probably start with Sophie, since it's start of the trilogy (she appears in later games, iirc), plus she's cute. Or go with the twins, since it's the latest.

btw, if you haven't played Dragon Quest 11, go for that instead (I believe it's on sale on US psn). Personally I'll probably skip RE2 remake, cos Kingdom Heart 3 releases just before it.

wheewhee

Master Member
Reaction score
Married with earning power should hoot digital on sale games. Who cares the $15-$20 physical so called rental, rush to play and resale. Why not pay the $20-30 digital sale price and own the game? So free to meet buyers and sellers after work? Make appt but buyer last time make excuse fly kite. To me its simply not worth the effort and time. Unless you are a student.

Can I ask, there are some games that I see available on us psn website but unavailable in sg ps store. How do i go about getting them?

justln

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Cause you don't really own the digital game, you're paying a license that can be removed anytime without any warning.
Don't like a game and do a charge back because of no refund? Bam, your account is banned.
Licensing issue causes the game to be removed from the store? Bam, no more redownloading of the game.

If you are married with earning power and money is not an issue, might as well go all physical collector's edition. :s13:
Don't need to camp at store always waiting for discounts.

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cause you don't really own the digital game, you're paying a license that can be removed anytime without any warning.
Don't like a game and do a charge back because of no refund? Bam, your account is banned.
Licensing issue causes the game to be removed from the store? Bam, no more redownloading of the game.

If you are married with earning power and money is not an issue, might as well go all physical collector's edition. :s13:
Don't need to camp at store always waiting for discounts.

simple, to each his own. if an online version (older games) is super cheap why not? if you wanna play new game at launch day or within first week then get physical copy.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.