Nvidia Shield TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aditshar

Reaction score
Direct antenna connection to the tv is better for local
channel contents. Toggle or iptv tend to stop some programmes that being aired.

hmm so there's no means to load Toggle or StarHub Go onto this I suppose?
what are you guys using to get local HD FTA channels? do you prefer just getting a digital antenna or?

wilflare

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Direct antenna connection to the tv is better for local
channel contents. Toggle or iptv tend to stop some programmes that being aired.

thanks!
hmm there oughta be a way to enable StarHub GO and Toggle on the Shield - doesn't make sense for it to be "blocked"

or is this an Android TV problem?

Aditshar

Reaction score
I donno much abt starhub Go but toggle, you need a mouse and orientation fixer. The toggle app is design for android phone, to use it on android tv is kinda hassle. Unless the developer create one for android tv (which i think will not happen cos of the current govt battle on iptv) the chances is very slim.

thanks!
hmm there oughta be a way to enable StarHub GO and Toggle on the Shield - doesn't make sense for it to be "blocked"

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks!

there's no problem for either.

both apps you mentioned are for media consumption on the go usage.
whereas android tv is a system for.. well.. TV.

both app will be able to work if u flashed full android onto the Nvidia shield.

sillyb0y

Master Member
Reaction score
manage to sideload and open the tvb app but there is error show "video cannot be played, please contact customer service". anyone manage to solve/bypass it?

sillyb0y

Master Member
Reaction score

Can share here the tutorials how to flash full Android to the nvidia TV box?or can pm?

Asakura

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
seeing that u needed tutorial for sideloading apps. maybe should stay away from flashing it from tv os to android until u are more familiar with these

wilflare

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

gah :( which means losing whatever functionality AndroidTV provides :/

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
gah :( which means losing whatever functionality AndroidTV provides :/

Not worth the trouble. Leave the official Android TV OS in the Shield TV as it is.

Just buy another generic Android box like the S$40-50 Tanix TX3 Max or TX3 Mini.

wilflare

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Not worth the trouble. Leave the official Android TV OS in the Shield TV as it is.

Just buy another generic Android box like the S$40-50 Tanix TX3 Max or TX3 Mini.

yea thought so too.
alternatively is to use the phone and Chromecast StarHub Go, TVB Anywhere and Toggle...
(I will never understand why these apps do not have an Android TV equivalent... especially StarHub Go - when it is supported on StarHub's version of AndroidTV box)

wilflare

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
spoke with StarHub on supporting the StarHub Go app on nVidia Shield...
they told me that StarHub Go app is not supported on AndroidTV (when their own streaming box runs on AndroidTV)

gosh

Aditshar

Reaction score
They just want to make it 'exclusive' to their android box. Anyway the crackdown on iptv is very strong now. A few apps had suffered blocked and a few fb grps had been closed down.

spoke with StarHub on supporting the StarHub Go app on nVidia Shield...
they told me that StarHub Go app is not supported on AndroidTV (when their own streaming box runs on AndroidTV)

gosh

wilflare

Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
They just want to make it 'exclusive' to their android box. Anyway the crackdown on iptv is very strong now. A few apps had suffered blocked and a few fb grps had been closed down.

would have gotten their streaming box if it was cheaper - but at S$199, the nVidia Shield is of much better value (just need a bit more top-up)

zehn

Reaction score
I lost my tv remote while moving house. Anyone knows where to get a replacement remote only?

mohamadhafiz

Reaction score
Reliability?

Hi all thanks for keeping the thread so informative...

Due to some circumstances my gaming rig has a limited time accessibility. just need some feedbacks before i jump in the bandwagon...

How bad is the lag when you gamestream? Im planning to have the shield in the living room while the rig in another room connected via LAN. Would Dota 2 be possibility? Ive read FIFA 19 is still not ready...

Next i use a PS4 controller for gaming. I know it is possible to connect to PS4 controller to the shield but does it work for gamestream mode as well? If not definitely will need to get the one with the controller.

Hope to hear from you guys so i can join in the fun soon! Appreciate it!

Aditshar

Reaction score
Dota2 is possible to play on the shield but you will need wireless keyboard and mouse. Lag wise is subjective. For casual gaming, it shouldnt be a problem. If serious competitive gaming, gaming rig still the best.
Anyway there are 2 methods of streaming Dota2 on the shield. Method 1 is via PC mirroring. You need to let your gaming PC run while you game on the nvidia shield. Method 2 is via Nvidia "Virtual" Machine.This is pure streaming from Nvidia Server, you dont need to turn on your PC. Currently this service is free to play but in future there will be a subscription fee for it.
Fifa19 is not supported. There are a list of supported games in Nvidia website that you can check out. PS4 controller does work with nvidia shield. But if planning to get buy a set, i suggest get the ones with the gamepad cos it is cheaper to get the gamepad with the bundle than to get it individually.

Hi all thanks for keeping the thread so informative...

Due to some circumstances my gaming rig has a limited time accessibility. just need some feedbacks before i jump in the bandwagon...

How bad is the lag when you gamestream? Im planning to have the shield in the living room while the rig in another room connected via LAN. Would Dota 2 be possibility? Ive read FIFA 19 is still not ready...

Next i use a PS4 controller for gaming. I know it is possible to connect to PS4 controller to the shield but does it work for gamestream mode as well? If not definitely will need to get the one with the controller.

Hope to hear from you guys so i can join in the fun soon! Appreciate it!

Power Is Scarce

Reaction score
Dota2 is possible to play on the shield but you will need wireless keyboard and mouse. Lag wise is subjective. For casual gaming, it shouldnt be a problem. If serious competitive gaming, gaming rig still the best.
Anyway there are 2 methods of streaming Dota2 on the shield. Method 1 is via PC mirroring. You need to let your gaming PC run while you game on the nvidia shield. Method 2 is via Nvidia "Virtual" Machine.This is pure streaming from Nvidia Server, you dont need to turn on your PC. Currently this service is free to play but in future there will be a subscription fee for it.
Fifa19 is not supported. There are a list of supported games in Nvidia website that you can check out. PS4 controller does work with nvidia shield. But if planning to get buy a set, i suggest get the ones with the gamepad cos it is cheaper to get the gamepad with the bundle than to get it individually.

Playing the game from nvidia server.. Is that Geforce Now? Is that service available in Singapore though?

I'm tempted to buy nvidia shield to play at my office whenever lunch time or so...

Although it's at $280 IN Qoo10 right now. Quite expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.