Wechat wallet

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So looks like the things change again. This thing is very fluid.

Indeed it changed in 2018
https://www.17chongzhi.com/article.php?id=27

So it was a loophole in 2017 that you can use Singapore Credit/Debit card and receive WeChat Ang Bao. The loophole is now fixed in 2018...

首先要明确几点:
1, 最新版的海外微信账户,是不能绑定海外国际信用卡的,只能绑定国内大陆银行的储蓄卡,同时要填写银行预留手机号。只有卡号和手机号匹配,才能添加。同时微信会发送验证码到该手机号,用户在微信上输入该手机验证码才能完成绑定!

2, 去年,也就是2017年的时候,有些用户可以不用绑定大陆的银行卡,而是海外信用卡,那时候的确可以操作。但是今年微信是不能绑定海外信用卡了,而是只能绑定国内的银行卡,这是因为海外信用卡存在拒付的功能,是一个严重的漏洞,微信之前没有考虑到国外的信用卡拒付是一个巨大的支付漏洞,由于用户可以像信用卡公司申诉信用卡被盗用,导致微信不得不关闭信用卡绑定的功能!

3, 对于微信发红包如果累计超过1000元,就要进行实名认证,实名认证必须上传中国大陆身份证,海外证件是无法完成实名认证的。

因此对于需要大额微信转账的朋友,无法完成实名认证的海外用户,只能通过第三方进行代付了!

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.zaobao.com.sg/zfinance/news/story20180612-866512

Local 3rd party WeChat pay balance transfer: subject to MAS regulations

我国近期出现一些商家和网站提供支付宝或微信钱包充值服务,若业者没有持相关执照,业务有可能违法。

新加坡金融管理局发言人回答《联合早报》询问时说,按照外币兑换与汇款业法令,在本地接受款项并为国外户头汇款或充值的业务是有可能构成“汇款业务”(remittance business)。

金管局发言人说:“经营这类汇款业务的业者是需要获得法令下的执照。”

微信支付与支付宝等无现金付款方式近年来在本地逐渐普及化,不少业者通过实体店面或网络支付方式提供充值服务。

《联合早报》记者发现,网上有超过10个海内外网站,可让用户为支付宝或微信钱包充值,本地至少有六个业者提供这项服务。

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Explains why I can't link my local credit cards.

As I'll only be in Guangzhou for 3 days next month. Will just have to rely on using cash. :(

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Explains why I can't link my local credit cards.

As I'll only be in Guangzhou for 3 days next month. Will just have to rely on using cash. :(

Cash is still king. :)

Still you should be able to use Singapore credit card in bigger hotels and shops in big city like Beijing/Shanghai/Guangzhou/Shenzhen.

Next option is to use Union Pay Credit/Debit Card from Singapore branch of BOC or ICBC.

Then cash.

Or you can try the 3rd party WeChat Pay service providers for smaller amount as well.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cash is still king. :)

Still you should be able to use Singapore credit card in bigger hotels and shops in big city like Beijing/Shanghai/Guangzhou/Shenzhen.

Next option is to use Union Pay Credit/Debit Card from Singapore branch of BOC or ICBC.

Then cash.

Or you can try the 3rd party WeChat Pay service providers for smaller amount as well.

I am in China for a short trip . Today I tried twice with Wechat 微信零钱 to pay street vendor. First try is a success but I needed to log in to the WiFi as my WeChat account is on my main phone without roaming data. Second try failed without the wifi access. Local people say it (offline we chat wallet) should work but it did not cause the other side did not manage to get the pop-up for the password.

I just got a local sim card from my relative and hopefully my wechat pay experiences for the next few days will be better.

I top up my wechat wallet with the Ang Bao money from my relatives because I do not have a China bank card.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am in China for a short trip.

I just got a local sim card from my relative and hopefully my wechat pay experiences for the next few days will be better.

I top up my wechat wallet with the Ang Bao money from my relatives because I do not have a China bank card.

With the local Sim card and 40RMB for 100GB data 30days, it is very good experience to use WeChat pay. Very convenient. No need cash for the past few days.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Local sim gives 100 gb ?!
Where from.....

Sent from Sony G8142 using GAGT

Actually it is unlimited but in reality fake one. After 10GB the speed will be throttled to below 1Mbps, after 100GB, the speed will be throttled to below 128kbps.

Together with free VPN, this is actually quite useful.

BTW, you can actually get this RMB40 unlimited data plan free for one month by using WeChat.

Data plan name: 福建移动 大流量40元包,2018普通版, aka, China Mobile Fujian, large data RMB 40 pack, normal 2018 version.

Last edited:

zzxxzzxx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually it is unlimited but in reality fake one. After 10GB the speed will be throttled to below 1Mbps, after 100GB, the speed will be throttled to below 128kbps.

Together with free VPN, this is actually quite useful.

BTW, you can actually get this RMB40 unlimited data plan free for one month by using WeChat.

Data plan name: 福建移动 大流量40元包,2018普通版, aka, China Mobile Fujian, large data RMB 40 pack, normal 2018 version.

So this plan is gotten as a prepaid plan? Easily available??

I know that the 3 big Telcos have new plans for prepaid.
RMB 5 monthly subscription, without any perks.
Daily 500mb~1GB @ RMB1, Some RMB3 for unlimited.
Like said, some unlimited are throttled at 10GB or 100GB.

But for normal use, RMB5 base + 1GB/Day/RMB1.
It's good to keep this line active.

Only issue i had found is not all cities rolled out these plans for China Mobile.
China Mobile is the slowest to launch this plan.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
So this plan is gotten as a prepaid plan? Easily available??

I know that the 3 big Telcos have new plans for prepaid.
RMB 5 monthly subscription, without any perks.
Daily 500mb~1GB @ RMB1, Some RMB3 for unlimited.
Like said, some unlimited are throttled at 10GB or 100GB.

But for normal use, RMB5 base + 1GB/Day/RMB1.
It's good to keep this line active.

Only issue i had found is not all cities rolled out these plans for China Mobile.
China Mobile is the slowest to launch this plan.

I asked my relative to get the China Mobile King Card 移动王卡 for me at RMB9 per month. I hear about RMB5 per month but China Mobile in this place (Quanzhou, Fujian Province) does not have such RMB5 plan, rather they offer the RMB18 per Month plan for half of the price. I intend to keep this number for SMS verification of some Chinese apps and for use with my yearly short trip to China. Since I need oversea roaming I paid RMB200 up-front and later add RMB 50 through wechat 微信零钱.

It is charging RMB1 per day for 1GB data. Then you can buy data add-on like the 40RMB large data plan I mentioned. You can also get some perks by using their apps like getting +100MB data for free, 50minutes voice call for free, etc. I got the 40RMB data plan for free for the first month. Just need to remember to cancel the data plan after leaving China.

Edit to add:
https://mr.baidu.com/b80o6x3?f=cp
So it is China Unicom which offers the RMB5 plan.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Indeed it changed in 2018
https://www.17chongzhi.com/article.php?id=27

So it was a loophole in 2017 that you can use Singapore Credit/Debit card and receive WeChat Ang Bao. The loophole is now fixed in 2018...

首先要明确几点:
1, 最新版的海外微信账户,是不能绑定海外国际信用卡的,只能绑定国内大陆银行的储蓄卡,同时要填写银行预留手机号。只有卡号和手机号匹配,才能添加。同时微信会发送验证码到该手机号,用户在微信上输入该手机验证码才能完成绑定!

2, 去年,也就是2017年的时候,有些用户可以不用绑定大陆的银行卡,而是海外信用卡,那时候的确可以操作。但是今年微信是不能绑定海外信用卡了,而是只能绑定国内的银行卡,这是因为海外信用卡存在拒付的功能,是一个严重的漏洞,微信之前没有考虑到国外的信用卡拒付是一个巨大的支付漏洞,由于用户可以像信用卡公司申诉信用卡被盗用,导致微信不得不关闭信用卡绑定的功能!

3, 对于微信发红包如果累计超过1000元,就要进行实名认证,实名认证必须上传中国大陆身份证,海外证件是无法完成实名认证的。

因此对于需要大额微信转账的朋友,无法完成实名认证的海外用户,只能通过第三方进行代付了!

Even for Chinese SIM card, you have to use either an Chinese ID card or a mainland China bank card to finish the real name verification process and then activate the WeChat wallet functions like Ang Bao or payment.

I tried to add a Singapore card for the Chinese sim card I got through my relative but it did not work.

zzxxzzxx

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Earlier this year, had friend in SG added local Credit Card to accept angbao.
Forgot he's using POSB Everyday card or OCBC 365.

Forgot to mention, those plans with RMB 5 base, the data plan is throughout whole of China. No Roaming rates, flat rate across whole China.

These plans are being rolled out since earlier this year.

Previous plans are ties to the province of where the SIM card is activated. And the Data is usually LOCAL data. 省内。

Was in ChongQing in 2016 end, the prepaid plans are RMB8 or 9 flat. with data costing RMB1/300mb or 500mb. stackable up to 5/6 times a day.
But same sim is not able to have this package in other places i visited later in 2017.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Earlier this year, had friend in SG added local Credit Card to accept angbao.
Forgot he's using POSB Everyday card or OCBC 365.

Things only changed this year. I got the local sim card and applied wechat account with this number and it has wallet function by default. However even I can successfully added my OCBC Titanium credit card to the account but it is still useless. When I tried to receive Ang Bao it prompted me to add a local Chinese bank card.

For my new Starhub prepaid card, I tried to apply a wechat account and I could not even register for the account -- telling me that I need to get introduced by a local Chinese wechat user or a foreign user with more than 6 months of history of using wechat. In the end I just transferred another wechat account registered last time with my company phone to this new number. Still can not even activate the WeChat wallet with this wechat account.

jywy2005

Master Member
Reaction score
You need to have a China issued debit card and a China SIM card before you can use the card. There is no way you can get access to the wallet without the bank card.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You need to have a China issued debit card and a China SIM card before you can use the card. There is no way you can get access to the wallet without the bank card.

There was a loophole last year that you could add an SG credit/debit card. I did that for my main SingTel number linked WeChat account and then I can receive/send Ang Bao. I can not top up by myself but I can ask my friends or relatives to send me Ang Bao or just 转账 to me. It is still working now. I used this WeChat wallet for my trip last week.

Unfortunately the loophole is gone.

Last edited:

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There was a loophole last year that you could add an SG credit/debit card. I did that for my main SingTel number linked WeChat account and then I can receive/send Ang Bao. I can not top up by myself but I can ask my friends or relatives to send me Ang Bao or just 转账 to me. It is still working now. I used this WeChat wallet for my trip last week.

Unfortunately the loophole is gone.

I think I find another loophole for China Sim card linked WeChat account. It will have wallet function but without a China bank card you can not receive ang bao or receive 转账 so it becomes useless. But I find out that I can top up with the "receive money" function in "Me - Wallet - Money - Receive Money".

After the above step I am still not able to receive Ang Bao or 转账 but I can send Ang Bao.

Last edited:

vofzxy

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Netspay app works with unionpay ... In Shanghai that is

But many staff dunno how to do it... Lol

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Netspay app works with unionpay ... In Shanghai that is

But many staff dunno how to do it... Lol

https://www.nets.com.sg/newsroom/un...c-partnership-with-major-netspay-app-upgrade/

Probably because this is new. Hopefully things will get better soon at bigger cities and popular places.

On the other hand, Union Pay is still not so popular in small cities. Wechat Pay and Alipay are everywhere. I was in a small town in Fujian last week visiting relatives and all the street vendors support the two payment methods. None of them support Union Pay.

dolphins_rainbow

Reaction score
I think I find another loophole for China Sim card linked WeChat account. It will have wallet function but without a China bank card you can not receive ang bao or receive 转账 so it becomes useless. But I find out that I can top up with the "receive money" function in "Me - Wallet - Money - Receive Money".

After the above step I am still not able to receive Ang Bao or 转账 but I can send Ang Bao.

When you mention unable to 转账 means we still can't make payment to the merchant?

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When you mention unable to 转账 means we still can't make payment to the merchant?

I mean I can not receive from other people either through 红包 or 转账, but I can pay others through 红包 or 转账 or 二维码付款. I just tried all three functions and all worked without any problems.

This seems to be a loop hole that I can effectively top up through 二维码收款 and then use wechat wallet 微信零钱 to pay others.

But you need to activate wechat wallet function first and in this case it is not a problem since the wechat account is linked to a China SIM card number.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.