Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
https://www.expressvpn.com/vpn-software/vpn-router

didn't try so can't comment
i had followed some threads here on WiFi VPN servers running but did not get conclusive answers. Mostly i see issues with limitations or multiple retries required.

Need help setting a new wireless router with a VPN paid account.

i just need a VPN wireless connectivity for Kodi and IPTV, while connect to general wifi for general use.

Any recommendation a wireless VPN AP and VPN provider?

camile89

Reaction score
i had followed some threads here on WiFi VPN servers running but did not get conclusive answers. Mostly i see issues with limitations or multiple retries required.

Need help setting a new wireless router with a VPN paid account.

i just need a VPN wireless connectivity for Kodi and IPTV, while connect to general wifi for general use.

Any recommendation a wireless VPN AP and VPN provider?

What router are you using?

camile89

Reaction score
fortunately IKEv2 works for me ... speed was quite simiiar to openVPN (udp). speedwise pretty close to ISP

android client needs additional installs to add OpenVPN, i guess it didn't work for you coz it defaults to IKEv2

may i know what speed are you getting for netflix test (fast.com)? am gettng 13~18mbps which is borderline for 4K stream

I have terminated express. Waiting for refund. Previously connected to US server got about 20mbps (speedtest.net) for netflix.

I have not got any speed close to ISP while on vpn. Which ISP and router brand/model you using?

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
M1 500mbps & asus rt-n56u … definitely budget series :D

better test with fast.com for netflix
I have terminated express. Waiting for refund. Previously connected to US server got about 20mbps (speedtest.net) for netflix.

I have not got any speed close to ISP while on vpn. Which ISP and router brand/model you using?

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i got 3 sets of DLINK DIR868L router.
Thinking to replace with one main router with a vpn router (wifi=vpn-ed)
Asus RT-AC86U is currently the most value for money router with AES-NI crypto acceleration if you intend to run a OpenVPN client in it.. I'm using it with PIA vpn running in the router with Merlin firmware.

Sent from Samsung SM-G935F using GAGT

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just paid RMB88 for one year Taobao 88VIP membership since my wife uses Taobao a lot. It comes with one year free VIP for Youku and Xiami Music.

I already know that you do not need VPN to use Xiami Music (free or paid). And I paid RMB120 to get one year QQ Music VIP and then I do not need VPN to use QQ Music.

To my surprise I do not need to use VPN for Youku once I activate the VIP access. Very nice. Speed is fast, no more ads and I can have access to 1080p HDR for the movies.

I think RMB88 (S$17.6) is well spent. YMMV though.

BTW, my Youku and Xiami music account are linked to my Singapore mobile number. There is no problem to activate VIP access.

imacbie

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just paid RMB88 for one year Taobao 88VIP membership since my wife uses Taobao a lot. It comes with one year free VIP for Youku and Xiami Music.

I already know that you do not need VPN to use Xiami Music (free or paid). And I paid RMB120 to get one year QQ Music VIP and then I do not need VPN to use QQ Music.

To my surprise I do not need to use VPN for Youku once I activate the VIP access. Very nice. Speed is fast, no more ads and I can have access to 1080p HDR for the movies.

I think RMB88 (S$17.6) is well spent. YMMV though.

BTW, my Youku and Xiami music account are linked to my Singapore mobile number. There is no problem to activate VIP access.
thanks for the info... didnt know 88VIP includes the other 2 services sub.

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
today surfshark test to fast.com results were bad, didn't even complete the test. will test for few more days to decide
My express account still working.
Just tested with UK netflix on fast.com - 53mbps

can share your speed test results for PIA? are you accessing with MU-MIMO? thanks!
Asus RT-AC86U is currently the most value for money router with AES-NI crypto acceleration if you intend to run a OpenVPN client in it.. I'm using it with PIA vpn running in the router with Merlin firmware.

Sent from Samsung SM-G935F using GAGT

kevinlaikf

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if i buy two asus rt-ac86 or ac88, can i mesh them, or die-die need any above plus the cluster of lyra thingy?

Sent from my friend's phone using GAGT

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Chat姐姐’s review on using PureVPN for Netflix, in Chinese. She is based in Malaysia.

No mention of speed though.

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
today surfshark test to fast.com results were bad, didn't even complete the test. will test for few more days to decide

can share your speed test results for PIA? are you accessing with MU-MIMO? thanks!
I'm currently staying in Thailand for the time being so can't provide you any SS... but can consistently hit 200mbps for both up and down streams.. yes MU-MIMO is enabled and the wireless receiving client has a 3x3 antenna.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if i buy two asus rt-ac86 or ac88, can i mesh them, or die-die need any above plus the cluster of lyra thingy?

Sent from my friend's phone using GAGT
Lyra is an option for those who currently do not own any AiMesh compatible Asus routers but wish to adopt an wifi mesh system. if you currently have an ac68u, you can simply buy another AiMesh compatible router like ac86u to link them up

Cirevek67

Reaction score

How is your surfshark speed today? Didn't use it yesterday, but today it works fine for me. The speed is actually great.

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
didn't have much time to test, probably do a more detailed test during the weekend. but some quirks when using fast.com
1. client appears to be US irregardless where to connect to (i.e SG, US, UK etc)
2. server keeps changing

quick test, not good, thruput not consistent. not sure if it's problem with my hardware or ISP?

how do you test yours? normal surfing is OK. local speednet tests are fine too. am more concern how to test with netflix US ...

How is your surfshark speed today? Didn't use it yesterday, but today it works fine for me. The speed is actually great.

thanks! 200mbps certainly impressive with MU-MIMO. may i know how you test?
I'm currently staying in Thailand for the time being so can't provide you any SS... but can consistently hit 200mbps for both up and down streams.. yes MU-MIMO is enabled and the wireless receiving client has a 3x3 antenna.

Last edited:

Cirevek67

Reaction score
didn't have much time to test, probably do a more detailed test during the weekend. but some quirks when using fast.com
1. client appears to be US irregardless where to connect to (i.e SG, US, UK etc)
2. server keeps changing

quick test, not good, thruput not consistent. not sure if it's problem with my hardware or ISP?

how do you test yours? normal surfing is OK. local speednet tests are fine too. am more concern how to test with netflix US ...

thanks! 200mbps certainly impressive with MU-MIMO. may i know how you test?

Could be ISP but not sure. I suggest contacting the customer support, they should have an idea what's the problem. If you are asking about Netflix US working or not, I can confirm it works for me ATM.

rrr2015

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
turns out to be duckduckgo privacy addon
all good after disabling ... phew!
may i know if you watching netflix 4K and if 4K stream is stable?
Could be ISP but not sure. I suggest contacting the customer support, they should have an idea what's the problem. If you are asking about Netflix US working or not, I can confirm it works for me ATM.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.