Loan Shark Harassment and how to stop it

• Need someone to talk to?
    Feeling down, anxious and need help? Mindline.sg has helpful resources for you. More info
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fear Less

Reaction score
Bro . Pm also be careful .
I worry some here are not what they are on this platform. Its better not to reveal. We are all strangers coming here to help victims .

Exactly. General information can share here. Anything pte better to pm. Do not mention any name or number of the ls.

Makminah

Reaction score
Bro . Pm also be careful .
I worry some here are not what they are on this platform. Its better not to reveal. We are all strangers coming here to help victims .

Yes. Very true. Just be extra mindful of the info you share la. Dont know who is who.

Nik1987

Reaction score
U really need to block their numbers. Tell your NOK to do the same. Do not pick up any numbers not in your contacts. If they see u read their msg or if they see u online they will still pester you. Once they see they’ve been blocked, they’ll give up and move on to other debtors. Or even better divert calls from their number to Police Post. Lol.

Been ignoring them and will continue to ignore. Just that I didnt block their ws numbers cause I dont want them to bother my NOK. Eventually i got use to their msgs already. Read and close no point answering or entertain them. Both my LS also msg me once on the day of due. Thats it no spamming of calls or msgs. Unlike when I was still paying them. Reply late 30mins-1hour already call/msg me like crazy. I hide my ws dp also they call me up to check if i block them. Now that I ignore and stop paying them, the spamming of msgs and calls got lesser.
I also somehow already accepted the fact and mentally prepared for the worst cause if you kanchiong and stress about them you can never think straight.

That is how they work. They pressure you knowing that you fear their threats and will give in. If you continue to ignore them they will eventually get tired also. When will they get tired that depends on your luck.

Importantly you need to come clean with everyone involved. Talk to a friend or someone you trust cause you need all the emotional and mental support from the people around you. Dont be ashamed of what you did cause most of us here are being scammed and were not aware that they are LS at the first place. Just that it as a lesson learn and share yr story to create awareness to your close ones so they wont fall into their trap in thr future.

Reaction score
Some suspect that UMLs read this post. Then they better read this one and STOP their nonsense. Potential runners and young people who are considering harassing others better watch out too.

Police Advisory on Loan sharks, Loan scams

https://www.police.gov.sg/resources...eylending/loansharking-situation-in-singapore

Plenty of arrests by POLICE - Crime does not PAY

https://www.police.gov.sg/resources/prevent-crime/unlicensed-moneylending/latest-news#content

3 Dec 2018 - RUNNER VICTIM ARRESTED

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...molotov-cocktail-at-flat-on-loansharks-behalf

30 Nov 2018 - YOUTH VICTIM RUNNERS

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...-promising-quick-and-easy-money-or-risk-being

14 Nov 2018 - HARASSMENT RUNNER ARRESTED

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...ly-setting-fire-to-door-of-choa-chu-kang-unit

10 Oct 2018 - ARRESTED WITHIN 2 DAYS

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...iyNJQM5RHl38eYuA941wYa6GUUI_CLzkyEofbUW8OoOGc

28 Sep 2018 - RAIDED AND ARRESTED

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/courts-crime/107-nabbed-in-raids-against-loan-sharking

14 Aug 2018 - YOUTH GIRLS ARRESTED

https://www.tnp.sg/news/singapore/more-young-girls-caught-loanshark-runners

29 Jun 2018 - RAIDED AND ARRESTED

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...ng-activities-after-four-day-police-operation

23 May 2018 - ARRESTED IN 9 HOURS

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...extendable-baton-and-knuckle-dusters-arrested

2 Apr 2018 - TEENS ARRESTED

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/3-teens-arrested-for-loanshark-harassment-10095344

3 Oct 2016 - YOUTHS ARRESTED

http://www.asiaone.com/singapore/lured-fast-cash-more-youths-get-involved-loanshark-activities

24 Mar 2016 - RAIDED AND ARRESTED

https://www.straitstimes.com/singap...ted-in-islandwide-anti-loansharking-operation

Jfs111

Reaction score
No i did not get into any trouble.

Maybe i was lucky that no one come up and disturb during the transition period.

That was in year 2013, i dont know about any new rules now.

But end of the day, the only way to escpae the UML is to move house, change phone number, change job and start a new life.

You continue to pay , the more they demand. You dont pay, they come up harass you.

Did the UML know your address but didn't come up or you have not gicen them info on where you stay?

Yologoodcitizen

Reaction score
To those who have PM-ed me, apologies i cant reply as my post count is less than 10. Anw this is my reply (you know who you are):

Basically they did come up and write those O$P$ but that was before i installed a CCTV. Thereafter, no such acts from them and im not trying to scare u here but they also did come up to my place and set fire. All these were before the cctv was installed, and guess what those runners were immediately caught.

What i wanna tell u here is:

1) dont worry abt the harrassment, i think now that the news are so rampant about people getting caught after these stupid acts, no one will dare to help them anymore. (i know its easier said than done). However, this was a path we choose to take / have unintentionally taken, so we just have to face it. Most importantly like what i mention in my thread, confide all these in ur family, get their moral and emotional support. If you have difficulty doing so i.e. afraid that your family wont give u at least a very simple support, u can always go through a social service to help u on this. They will go up your place and be the mediator betw u and your loved ones, quite useful in my opinion.

2) Just block off all of them and report to the police. They will increase their patrol ard your area as well. Rmb never to borrow from one LS again to pay off another LS. Immediately, i mean now, block off their whatsapp and also block off private number call. Do it now, u will feel better.

3) next step is to inform your superior. U dun hve to tell him the full truth, can just leave the reason as being scammed (to keep ur status in ur company) thinking that they are licensed lenders. Why do i ask u to do so is so that if, i mean if, they call up ur company, at least they know they just have to ignore their calls or msg. Get them to play along with u. At least if one day they call, ur superior wont ask u more and that wont put ur stability in the job in jeopardy

To end off, i think most importantly is to confide this problem in your family. U need their support - emotionally and morally. If u experience anymore encounters of any kind pls pm me again. Applogies for the late reply as i was new and did not realise that i have got new PMs.

Cheers

Jfs111

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have an experience with loanshark harassment. I did borrow from loanshark 2 years back. From 500, it became 15k in a few months. Also, it was not from 1 loanshark. I borrowed from 13 or more. My advise to all is to stop paying them and ignore their calls or messages. At the same time, go to the police. One thing I wanna point out. The worst case scenario is they can burn your door or splash paint or whatever but would you rather pay thousands rather than to pay a few hundred just to replace your door? And besides, if they don't get any payments from you, they will eventually stop and focus on victims who are still paying them. For me, nothing happened and I vow to not borrow from them ever again.

Did they know your address and yet didnt come up?

Jfs111

Reaction score
To those who have PM-ed me, apologies i cant reply as my post count is less than 10. Anw this is my reply (you know who you are):

Basically they did come up and write those O$P$ but that was before i installed a CCTV. Thereafter, no such acts from them and im not trying to scare u here but they also did come up to my place and set fire. All these were before the cctv was installed, and guess what those runners were immediately caught.

What i wanna tell u here is:

1) dont worry abt the harrassment, i think now that the news are so rampant about people getting caught after these stupid acts, no one will dare to help them anymore. (i know its easier said than done). However, this was a path we choose to take / have unintentionally taken, so we just have to face it. Most importantly like what i mention in my thread, confide all these in ur family, get their moral and emotional support. If you have difficulty doing so i.e. afraid that your family wont give u at least a very simple support, u can always go through a social service to help u on this. They will go up your place and be the mediator betw u and your loved ones, quite useful in my opinion.

2) Just block off all of them and report to the police. They will increase their patrol ard your area as well. Rmb never to borrow from one LS again to pay off another LS. Immediately, i mean now, block off their whatsapp and also block off private number call. Do it now, u will feel better.

3) next step is to inform your superior. U dun hve to tell him the full truth, can just leave the reason as being scammed (to keep ur status in ur company) thinking that they are licensed lenders. Why do i ask u to do so is so that if, i mean if, they call up ur company, at least they know they just have to ignore their calls or msg. Get them to play along with u. At least if one day they call, ur superior wont ask u more and that wont put ur stability in the job in jeopardy

To end off, i think most importantly is to confide this problem in your family. U need their support - emotionally and morally. If u experience anymore encounters of any kind pls pm me again. Applogies for the late reply as i was new and did not realise that i have got new PMs.

Cheers

Thank you very much for this very useful info. Actually, i resigned already from the job that the LS know and I havent given my address to where i stay now. Therebis no way for them to locate my new address right? As the former house dont know where i transferred.you think ill just change my number also? Thanks

Yologoodcitizen

Reaction score
Thank you very much for this very useful info. Actually, i resigned already from the job that the LS know and I havent given my address to where i stay now. Therebis no way for them to locate my new address right? As the former house dont know where i transferred.you think ill just change my number also? Thanks

You’re most welcome! Im able to help you coz of my wexperience and i do hope this kind of help can go further from here. Each and everyone helping out each other :)

Yes, pls change your HP number as well. I hve heard stories that those LS also tend to buy contacts from telco insider illegally and i supposed your bills will be mailed to your new address? If so pls immediately change your number as well.

xsummerx

Reaction score
Hi guys.
Have anyone handle LML before? I borrowed from 2 LML. First one got balance of $416, the other is $1105. I am suppose to pay them today as its suppose to be my salary day but the problem is I took too many unpaid leave last month to take care of my sick mother hence I did not receive any salary this month.
No source of income at all. I explained my situation to both LML but they both refused to understand and insist me to clear the amount.
How should I handle the situation? I dont want to start any trouble with them.

Go make police report.. they won’t be able to catch the **** but at least u won’t get into deep **** like me... I go lock someone gate, but I left the key there... then I confess to the IO about that, now my lawyer tell me to expect 12-15 month in Changi.

All these fkers now using underhand methods to get people to take loans from them... no license but they say they have license... then u take loan from them thinking they have real license... when start having trouble to repay the loan, they become unlicensed...

Last edited:

Yologoodcitizen

Reaction score
Guys,

Please also take note:

Nowadays there are some sms / call asking u if u need any loan and saying they are LML. And they are targeting those who hve bad credit reports with either bank / LML last time, and those who will have loans approval rejected by most of the LML.

Yes, these calls will direct u to a LML shop and they are operating as LML but they are actually UML feigning as LML. Most of the time, they will start off ur loan at $500 and will be weekly payments for 5 wks. Why they extend for 5 weeks is coz every mth they can only charge u one time late payment of $60 base on MAS regulation and they know u borrow coz u have monetary issue so if u late, they can charge u a good $120 of late fees easily for the term of loan.

However, these ‘LML’ will get really nasty when u have problem paying and it totally resembles an ULM so never borrow or fall into their trap. Worst to start the whole cycle of unrest again.

Cheers

Last edited:

Jfs111

Reaction score
You’re most welcome! Im able to help you coz of my wexperience and i do hope this kind of help can go further from here. Each and everyone helping out each other :)

Yes, pls change your HP number as well. I hve heard stories that those LS also tend to buy contacts from telco insider illegally and i supposed your bills will be mailed to your new address? If so pls immediately change your number as well.

I get comfort from people like you who are helpful. My case was actually i had been paying them on time because i get too scared they harasses me one time when i was not able to pay on time. Its been years and if i dont stop paying them i could not go out of the debt. I decided to just stop. I am sure they will harass me when i cant pay this month end so i made this drastic change to report to the poluce and finally be away from all of this.

Reaction score
If u can... Posibly change job as well... If not... Talk to ur superior... Get them on ur side.

I get comfort from people like you who are helpful. My case was actually i had been paying them on time because i get too scared they harasses me one time when i was not able to pay on time. Its been years and if i dont stop paying them i could not go out of the debt. I decided to just stop. I am sure they will harass me when i cant pay this month end so i made this drastic change to report to the poluce and finally be away from all of this.

troubledbyahlong

Reaction score
If u can... Posibly change job as well... If not... Talk to ur superior... Get them on ur side.

Can we like help one person at a time.. If the victim is aware of the approximate time the runner comes. Lets make a group of 20 and catch him.. Should start this islandwide and get as many caught as possible

mahjong saint

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

I know this is easier said than done, but u really need to get out of debt and cut all contacts with them

So many years... just calculate the amount of interest u have paid them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.