Recommendations for a DAC

KwayChup

Reaction score
Either mixer or sound interface with XLR/TRS interface.
Like Focusrite 2i4

I’ve tried Focusrite... doesn’t sound good.. even audient id4 sounds better.. any good interface recommendation for xlr/trs?

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
already explored this option but I try not to go for internal PCI-e soundcard cos my system quite old already. Right now closest only ASUS Xonar U5/U7 external USB fits but no DTS Connect I think.

I tried to install Realtek driver hack but my onboard soundcard doesn't seems to support DTS Connect and DDL even though the hacked driver correctly showed these surround options.

Creative got external one like X-fi surround 5.1 pro.
But only support for Dolby Digital Live.
Creative might have lose the license for DTS Live so there isn't one soundcard with this software.
DTS live is intended for use with supported soundcard.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I’ve tried Focusrite... doesn’t sound good.. even audient id4 sounds better.. any good interface recommendation for xlr/trs?

Budget?
Maybe can try mixer like Yamaha AG06.
Take note, these are studio monitor speaker.
Studio monitor sound quality depend on source so poor quality the sound won't be that good.
Else you have to consider other setup like Edifier bookshelf speakers.

jkohlc2

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Moi using peasant fiio e10k

Posted from PCWX using ONEPLUS A5010

Sadisticnoob

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
xOaVyS0l.jpg

CJzudC0l.jpg

4j7eEqHl.jpg

Actually the Chinese DAP also not too bad what

Sent from Xiaomi REDMI NOTE 5 using GAGT

KwayChup

Reaction score
Budget?
Maybe can try mixer like Yamaha AG06.
Take note, these are studio monitor speaker.
Studio monitor sound quality depend on source so poor quality the sound won't be that good.
Else you have to consider other setup like Edifier bookshelf speakers.

I've got the lsrs during the promo so anything more than $200 i suppose would be more expensive than the speakers.. best if can below $200 :D

Hafi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Creative got external one like X-fi surround 5.1 pro.
But only support for Dolby Digital Live.
Creative might have lose the license for DTS Live so there isn't one soundcard with this software.
DTS live is intended for use with supported soundcard.

I would prefer DTS Connect as it is more "generally supported" as Dolby Digital Live is "lesser supported". I'm not sure which one works effectively on my Logitech ch5.1 z906 so would prefer something that consists of both surround format type to play safe. My usage mainly consists of Youtube Live streams and videos as well as Toggle Mediacorp 8 live broadcast.

While the z906 can create 3D surround stereo from the 2ch PCM audio stream via optical on my onboard sound but it doesn't always work on certain sources like Toggle and some YT streams so I hope the DTS Connect/DDL can upmix and create the surround.

I saw some China brand that consists of everything but wary of their quality as it costs US$90... can buy a brand new ASUS Xonar U7 already.

Last edited:

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I've got the lsrs during the promo so anything more than $200 i suppose would be more expensive than the speakers.. best if can below $200 :D

Cheaper one usually are just basic one.
Can try Yamaha AG03 below $200.

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would prefer DTS Connect as it is more "generally supported" as Dolby Digital Live is "lesser supported". I'm not sure which one works effectively for me on my Logitech ch5.1 z906 so would prefer something that consists of both surround format type to play safe. My usage mainly consists of Youtube Live streams and videos as well as Toggle Mediacorp 8.

While the z906 can create 3D surround stereo from the 2ch PCM audio stream via optical on my onboard sound but it doesn't always work on certain sources like Toggle and some YT streams so I hope the DTS Connect/DDL can upmix and create the surround.

Dolby Audio these days are widely use than DTS. Very hard to find soundcard with DTS unless go for old soundcard.
You can try getting either a external or internal soundcard to connect to Z906.
Use the three 3.5mm pole to ensure that the speaker is running on 5.1 than optical.
Creative soundcard got feature like virtual surround, clear diagloue and etc.
Whatever source you play will be in 5.1.
Opt time for you to invest in such soundcard.

Hafi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dolby Audio these days are widely use than DTS. Very hard to find soundcard with DTS unless go for old soundcard.
You can try getting either a external or internal soundcard to connect to Z906.
Use the three 3.5mm pole to ensure that the speaker is running on 5.1 than optical.
Creative soundcard got feature like virtual surround, clear diagloue and etc.
Whatever source you play will be in 5.1.
Opt time for you to invest in such soundcard.

As mentioned internal soundcard is out of question and there not much choices for external USB ones. The internal DAC on z906 sounds good, I tried the three 3.5mm cable on my onboard sound and it sounds really awful.

Thinking of hooting this and see https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HDM...AC-rush-4K-2K-HDMI-Extractor/32893654573.html

KwayChup

Reaction score
advisable to get a DAC with RCA out to connect via RCA to TS cable for studio monitors?

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As mentioned internal soundcard is out of question and there not much choices for external USB ones. The internal DAC on z906 sounds good, I tried the three 3.5mm cable on my onboard sound and it sounds really awful.

Thinking of hooting this and see https://www.aliexpress.com/item/HDM...AC-rush-4K-2K-HDMI-Extractor/32893654573.html

Creative used to have a surround Decoder but that have been discounted.
The DDTS-100 which I owned before.
Cheap surround Decoder very hard to find.
Unless you intend to change to AVR with 5.1 speaker in the future.
Cost about the same as the Logitech Z906 at $699 the Onkyo HTS-3800.
AVR got upmix so more feature so stereo sources will be in 5.1.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.