OP Laptop - US$799 for GTX1060

xxduckxx

Reaction score

HolyInnocents

Reaction score
that laptop is the same model as the Aftershock Apex 15 here in singapore (although admittedly the 799 USD will be cheaper)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATNgHCt8Hik&t=348s

just that the apex 15 is more than two times more expensive...a similar spec on aftershock is around 2.4k??

800usd is only around 1.1k sgd, and u get $150 free gaming software like pubg.

seems like a pretty good deal? altho there's some hassle with the warranty and charger head but i think the cost savings justified these

chiaRH

Reaction score
i think the walmart prices were reduced hence why it seems like such a good deal now price-to-spec wise, it looks like clearance sale type of prices, maybe with turing imminent all these 8750H/1060 machines really need to clear stock by next year

all in all good deal is one thing just pray your machine is 100% ok and never needs tech support considering walmart already dumped the desktop OP line and are seemingly clearing stock on the laptops its not even certain whether they are serious about committing to this product line (including establishing proper tech support for existing buyers)

Last edited:

xxduckxx

Reaction score
yeah i did some digging on toms hardware, reading up on ODM in general and imminent processor upgrades.. very eye opening! and makes me think aftershock's business model has low entry barriers..

anyway yeah the OP desktop issues does concern me but for around SGD$1100 for those specs its quite hard to ignore.. i'm probably gonna get it .. have very good buddies who are in the states and regularly commute back so warranty issues is not really a major concern for me

thanks for all the thoughts guys and happy new year!

narkizy

Reaction score
just that the apex 15 is more than two times more expensive...a similar spec on aftershock is around 2.4k??

seems like a pretty good deal? altho there's some hassle with the warranty and charger head but i think the cost savings justified these

AFAIK theres ZERO aftersales support for Walmart laptops in sg. If the laptop has defects(most gaming laptops do), good luck to you bringing it to Sim Lim and paying ppl to repair it. Its cheaper yes, but general maintenance and repair will be nonexistent

Last edited:

HolyInnocents

Reaction score
AFAIK theres ZERO aftersales support for Walmart laptops in sg. If the laptop has defects(most gaming laptops do), good luck to you bringing it to Sim Lim and paying ppl to repair it. Its cheaper yes, but general maintenance and repair will be nonexistent

will the repair cost in the first two years amount to 1.3k tho?

just take it as [1.1k + repair costs] vs [2.4k + repair costs after 2 years] since the standard warranty is only 2years unless you extend it

wtfh4x

Master Member
Reaction score
will the repair cost in the first two years amount to 1.3k tho?

just take it as [1.1k + repair costs] vs [2.4k + repair costs after 2 years] since the standard warranty is only 2years unless you extend it

Is not even about the price, is whether you can find the parts in the first place? If you can't find the parts, then you want to pay how much also cannot fix.:o

xxduckxx

Reaction score
true true

Is not even about the price, is whether you can find the parts in the first place? If you can't find the parts, then you want to pay how much also cannot fix.:o

bro u have a point.. i think if we're concerned about this we would buy locally give the retailers their margin and get that warranty..

but honestly.. if u read up on the Chinese ODMs .. the aftershock laptops are actually from similar sources like walmarts just with a different logo slapped on.. so quality wise i would say they're abt the same

mafia6

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i actually tried to purchase this and ship via forwarder but they rejected non US credit cards.

Psycovirus

Reaction score
It's more worth than Aftershock Apex 15 due to same specs, lower price.

Problem is how to buy from SG...

You'll either need an Agent or a friend/cousin in US to help you buy and ship. Agent fee/shipping isn't going to be cheap cuz its a 3KG box...

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It's more worth than Aftershock Apex 15 due to same specs, lower price.

Problem is how to buy from SG...

You'll either need an Agent or a friend/cousin in US to help you buy and ship. Agent fee/shipping isn't going to be cheap cuz its a 3KG box...

if your suitcase is too small for this and you handcarry, most probably will tio 7% gst.

By the way curious to know, you guys will most probably try to act blur put it inside suitcase and bring it in or declare to customs?

pawn_king

Reaction score
if your suitcase is too small for this and you handcarry, most probably will tio 7% gst.

By the way curious to know, you guys will most probably try to act blur put it inside suitcase and bring it in or declare to customs?

remove the box and just carry laptop+adaptor. confirm no gst.
why need to declare?

xxduckxx

Reaction score
Throw box put in luggage and it's your own personal laptop that you "brought on your trip"

feralslash

Reaction score

cannot put inside check-in luggage. it has a non-removable battery.

xxduckxx

Reaction score
Another option for you guys who are concerned about warranty on the overpowered laptop by walmart.. found this deal for HP .. same price just lower ram and no ssd... but since its HP brand it should give you some "peace of mind"

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Pavilion-Gaming-Laptop-15-6-Full-HD-Intel-Core-i7-8750-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1060-3GB-1TB-HDD-16GB-Optane-memory-8GB-SDRAM-Windows-10-Black-15-CX0077/307347907?u1=kinjadeals-&oid=608130.1&wmlspartner=xzXATABADTI&sourceid=29012014332079219253&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

lifeishard

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Another option for you guys who are concerned about warranty on the overpowered laptop by walmart.. found this deal for HP .. same price just lower ram and no ssd... but since its HP brand it should give you some "peace of mind"

https://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Pavilion-Gaming-Laptop-15-6-Full-HD-Intel-Core-i7-8750-NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-1060-3GB-1TB-HDD-16GB-Optane-memory-8GB-SDRAM-Windows-10-Black-15-CX0077/307347907?u1=kinjadeals-&oid=608130.1&wmlspartner=xzXATABADTI&sourceid=29012014332079219253&affillinktype=10&veh=aff

someone posted they do not accept non US CC, how to buy wor.

Audiology93

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

for 1.1k, even of spoil within 1 year, just buy another model with newer cpu next year and it will still be cheaper than aftershock lol.

xxduckxx

Reaction score
someone posted they do not accept non US CC, how to buy wor.

haha honestly for me i got good friends who travel back and forth US often so worse case they buy and i pay them back..

for the rest.. if im not wrong there might be some companies like ez buy or comgateway who might provide a US payment service at a cost.. but i think still might be overall cheaper than any other options in sg..

tried paypal?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.