Advice on Penang

withluck

Reaction score
Could someone pls advise me, I am going Penang from Wed night to next Mon. Is it better to get the roaming from local telco with 1gb per day, or get a Malaysia sim card when I reach Penang? Do the bus terminal sell the sim card? Reception is the same for both local sim and Malaysia sim?

If my coach departs at 9pm, roughly what time will I reach the next day?

The normal travelling time from KL to Penang island or Butterworth is about 5 hours. Some bus expresses in various places to drop off passengers. In KL Sentral and TBS sell local sim cards and top up.

Pherenike

Master Member
Reaction score
Just booked my tix to Penang in late Nov for 7N as a large chunk of my miles are expiring.. :s13: Probably good to include 1D out to Ipoh? Can take bus?

21Flowers

Reaction score
2.5hrs drive/trip to ipoh. Recommend u stay 1N at ipoh. Can go their hot spring theme park at lost world@tambun in the evening, quite nice.

Just booked my tix to Penang in late Nov for 7N as a large chunk of my miles are expiring.. :s13: Probably good to include 1D out to Ipoh? Can take bus?

beanstalk6

Reaction score

1D is not sufficient to visit Ipoh properly. You can do better with Taiping which is nearer to Penang and smaller. Hatyai is too far out.

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From Singapore to Penang,any good night bus to recommend? Plane is very expensive.

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT

Andrew833

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From Singapore to Penang,any good night bus to recommend? Plane is very expensive.

Air ticket around $100, if you wait for promo, price may be lower. Take bus, butts very painful :s13:

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

jetstar just had their promo on Friday ...
Fri all timings for Sin to Penang
Sun, all timings for Penang to Sin ...
The price is $68 taxes in two way nett... For travel on selected period

After the 1st day of the promo , their sunday arrival flight pen to sin, mostly sold out for selected dates ...

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Air ticket around $100, if you wait for promo, price may be lower. Take bus, butts very painful :s13:

yes, bus is about 11 hours ... very long sia ...
waste time, waste energy ...

flight is just 1hr 15 minutes reach ...
normally promo wont have fri depart, sun arrival dates.
however the jetstar promo last fri have promo for those dates ...

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i managed to get a cheap flight from penang back to singapore, 300myr on jetstar. But i'll be going there by bus. Thinking of using starmart, because there don't seem to be any other buses available for booking yet. Does aeroline have a direct bus to penang?

surpize

Reaction score
i managed to get a cheap flight from penang back to singapore, 300myr on jetstar. But i'll be going there by bus. Thinking of using starmart, because there don't seem to be any other buses available for booking yet. Does aeroline have a direct bus to penang?

Best to avoid Starmart...
There are others such as Sri Maju, Grassland, Transtar...
WTS is using City Holiday Coach...

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
but on redbus and ezbook i don't see any other buses available for april. Only stamart and Seasons. Too early?

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are only 2 buses from Singapore to Penang on 18 April. Seasons ($100) and stamart ($45). Are they generally the same? Might as well take the cheapest right?

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I can go up to $100. But I only see these 2 companies listed on redbus and easy book for 18 April

beanstalk6

Reaction score
I can go up to $100. But I only see these 2 companies listed on redbus and easy book for 18 April

Test for a date in February, and you will see the other operators for the route and the fare. In any case, the whole lot of them operate out of Golden Mile Complex/Tower- you can visit them. Consider to fly too, as air travel is at maybe 3 times the cost if you book now but 1/4 the time.

Last edited:

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Test for a date in February, and you will see the other operators for the route and the fare. In any case, the whole lot of them operate out of Golden Mile Complex/Tower- you can visit them. Consider to fly too, as air travel is at maybe 3 times the cost if you book now but 1/4 the time.

CNY peek is early feb. Pls try after valentine

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.