Hotel Stay : Kowloon or Hong Kong island

bizmind

Reaction score
We are planning to go HK around 19 Sep 2011 and will be visiting Ngong Ping 360 and Shenzhen.

Is it better to stay at hotel in Kowloon or Hong Kong island? From airport, is it faster to reach Kowloon or Hong Kong? The hotel rate at Kowloon is less expensive than Hong Kong.

Please advise:-
a) Any hotel at Kowloon provides free shuttle bus from hotel to Ngong Ping 360?
b) Any hotel at Kowloon or Hong Kong that offers free WIFI and nearby MTR? Budget is around S$120 ~ S$150 per night.

Any other tourist attraction to recommend, please share.

Any good shopping areas or new shopping centres, please share.

Thank you for your help.

bkmailsg

Reaction score
First of all, Ngong Ping is in Tung Chung, don't think any hotel provides free shuttle bus to Tung Chung. You can take MTR.

To get to Lo Wu, you will need to take the railway, the East Rail line to Lo Wu for immigration clearance.

As for HK or Kowloon, it really depends on your preference. For Kowloon, you may want to consider staying in either Mongkok, YMT or Jordan. These places offers many markets (day / night) and eats. I believe hotel rates in these areas are cheaper. But of course accessing places like Stanley, Victoria Peak and islands, Hong Kong may be a better option. But with MTR, this really isn't much of a concern.

Hotel with free wifi? I personally don't know of any hotel with free wifi at your budget during your period of stay. You may want to do a search.

There are many worthy attractions, just to name some...Stanley Market, Repulse Bay, Victoria Peak, Victoria Harbour, Tai O, Sai Kung

Shopping mall? Langham, Festival Walk, Harbour City, Times Square. Where you go depends on your budget and what are you looking for.

Cheers

We are planning to go HK around 19 Sep 2011 and will be visiting Ngong Ping 360 and Shenzhen.

Is it better to stay at hotel in Kowloon or Hong Kong island? From airport, is it faster to reach Kowloon or Hong Kong? The hotel rate at Kowloon is less expensive than Hong Kong.

Please advise:-
a) Any hotel at Kowloon provides free shuttle bus from hotel to Ngong Ping 360?
b) Any hotel at Kowloon or Hong Kong that offers free WIFI and nearby MTR? Budget is around S$120 ~ S$150 per night.

Any other tourist attraction to recommend, please share.

Any good shopping areas or new shopping centres, please share.

Thank you for your help.

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Most prefer staying Kowloon side. Really depends on where you'll spend the majority of your time. Faster to reach Kowloon.

Am not aware of any hotel that provides free shuttle bus to NP360 as it's quite a distance away.

bizmind

Reaction score
Thank you for your details and tips.

Will check out these destinations as recommended.:D

Cheers

Sausage

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i'm planning to stay in HK island myself but was wondering what else there is to see in kowloon?

bkmailsg

Reaction score
Day/Night Markets - Tung Choi St (Ladies), Sai Yeung Choi St (Consumer electronics), Fa Yuen St (Sneakers), Temple St and Sham Shui Po

Shopping malls - Parklane & Harbour City (TST), Langham (Mongkok), Whampoa World (Hung Hom)

Attractions: Avenue of Star, Victoria Harbour, Clock Tower, Symphony of Light, Star Ferry, 1881, Kowloon Park & Promenade (TST)

i'm planning to stay in HK island myself but was wondering what else there is to see in kowloon?

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, Kowloon vs Hong Kong Island?
Which is better to stay?
Which side is more happening?

Does the airport express bus go directly to Kowloon?

s7460597

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which is better to stay?

Airport Express is an MTR line running between airport and Kowloon/Central There is a Kowloon station. From there can take the free shuttle service to hotels.

Public bus service is cityflyer.

There is a limousine bus service from hk. Cost more than airport express.

beanstalk6

Reaction score
Airport Express is an MTR line running between airport and Kowloon/Central There is a Kowloon station. From there can take the free shuttle service to hotels.

Public bus service is cityflyer.

The Airport Express is a dedicated train service serving mainly HKIA, Kowloon and HK stations. It has distinct train-sets, tracks and platforms from the MTR system.

princessreiko

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just came back from HK.
Stayed in Butterfly on Wellington in Hong Kong Island.
Love the hotel.
Furnishing is 5 star and spacious.
Didn't expect to find such a gem in downtown HK.
Took the Airport Express (train) and most of the walk to the hotel is covered walk way, about 10 min walk.
The ferry terminal to Macau is also walking distance from the hotel (15 min) and most of it is covered walk way.

The surrounding of the hotel is sooooo convenient and happening.
Got old markets, old food shops as well as more atas restaurants and different levels / standard of shopping all within walking distance.

Jenny Bakery (Sheung Wan) branch was 5 min walk.

I booked the hotel with pocket wifi.
Really very happy with this hotel.

CoolRock

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just came back from HK.
Stayed in Butterfly on Wellington in Hong Kong Island.
Love the hotel.
Furnishing is 5 star and spacious.
Didn't expect to find such a gem in downtown HK.
Took the Airport Express (train) and most of the walk to the hotel is covered walk way, about 10 min walk.
The ferry terminal to Macau is also walking distance from the hotel (15 min) and most of it is covered walk way.

The surrounding of the hotel is sooooo convenient and happening.
Got old markets, old food shops as well as more atas restaurants and different levels / standard of shopping all within walking distance.

Jenny Bakery (Sheung Wan) branch was 5 min walk.

I booked the hotel with pocket wifi.
Really very happy with this hotel.

I stayed a a Butterfly chain before, can't remember which, the rooms super small...

flowerpalms

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Which is better to stay?

kowloon and specifically tst east.

the last time i went hk i stayed there and at Ymca Salisbury hotel, the one beside Peninsular...its nearest to the harbour .

good place imo.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.