MoCA Network Setup | Ethernet over TV cable

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Quote below from IMDA:

Last updated IMDA TS CCHN is on year 2016,
can read more in: https://www.imda.gov.sg/-/media/imd...ication-standards/line/imda-ts-cchn.pdf?la=en

Thanks. In that case, maybe it is better to check with Starhub for their Ethernet over Coaxial (EOC) for Starhub customers. It mentions EOC adapters for Fibre TV but should be good for Internet as well.

http://www.starhub.com/personal/sup...arted/ethernet-over-coaxial-for-fibre-tv.html

For non-Starhub customers, not so sure if the EOC adapters are readily available in the market.

jazz2005

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks. In that case, maybe it is better to check with Starhub for their Ethernet over Coaxial (EOC) for Starhub customers. It mentions EOC adapters for Fibre TV but should be good for Internet as well.

http://www.starhub.com/personal/sup...arted/ethernet-over-coaxial-for-fibre-tv.html

For non-Starhub customers, not so sure if the EOC adapters are readily available in the market.

You can get a set adapters from Motorola which comes with PoE filters on Amazon and is cheaper than Actiontec. This way you are free to hop to any ISP as you wish.

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
You can get a set adapters from Motorola which comes with PoE filters on Amazon and is cheaper than Actiontec. This way you are free to hop to any ISP as you wish.

The question is whether the Motorola one is complying to Singapore standard mentioned above and approved by the IMDA or not.

I myself work in the Electronic industry where we do spend lots of efforts trying to pass all the relevant standards applicable to the intended markets.

Edit to add: from what I read, Motorola one is also using MoCA standard which is not adopted by IMDA.

Last edited:

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score

Starhub is also involved in shaping the regulation (IMDA TS CCHN). Under para 2.1, specifically states that "The HNT shall operate in the Sub-mode F frequency spectrum from 52 to 68 MHz".

My guess is the starhub EOC device will be something else and not in MoCA standards.

pwongkk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As usual IMDA standards.
MoCA standard is an industry standard.

As a regulator, can see how backward they are. Still want to talk about smart nation.

If the cables are no longer in use, simply disconnect the incoming cable and it becomes your own internal wiring.

There are many industrial standards and each country is entitled to choose from the one to go, just like 2G (GSM vs CDMA), 3G, and 4G in terms of mobile network.

If IMDA says MoCA standard is not adopted in Singapore, I myself will not buy MoCA adapters. Anyway, just my personal preferences.

pwongkk

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
There are many industrial standards and each country is entitled to choose from the one to go, just like 2G (GSM vs CDMA), 3G, and 4G in terms of mobile network.

If IMDA says MoCA standard is not adopted in Singapore, I myself will not buy MoCA adapters. Anyway, just my personal preferences.

Instead of replying non-compliance, mida should have looked into the feasibility of adopting a standard for MoCA.

Moreover, a majority of the homes here are cabĺe ready.

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Trying to look for Motorola MOCA adapter in amazon, they are not cheap. Is there any other online site sell cheaper?

Thanks.

jazz2005

Master Member
Reaction score
Trying to look for Motorola MOCA adapter in amazon, they are not cheap. Is there any other online site sell cheaper?

Thanks.

US$118 for a pair is still much cheaper than the ones from Actiontec, moreover motorola comes with the PoE filter.

manyu882

Master Member
Reaction score

Thanks.

Zisa from Alibaba. 1 pair around 100sgd including shipment. Chipset same as Actiontec ECB6200. Now all my adapters are flashed with Actiontec firmware and super stable. They don’t provide coaxial and LAN cable and POE filter though... just get them from Sim Lim tower.

You can also get Yitong MoCA 2.0 from Alibaba at less than SGD100 per pair including shipment. They provide coaxial cable, LAN cables and and EU type power adapter if you request for it. I have tried their unbonded MoCA 2.0 and had to RMA one of the MoCA adapters after 6 months usage.

Last edited:

hawthorne

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1 set of moca is more ex then pulling cable from hall to room. Just get contractor and get it over with. :o
I was considering this MoCA last time, but scared to have IDA (it was IDA back then) chase after me, so I bit the bullet and DIY pull CAT6 through the whole house.

Pulling cat6 through my entire home cost me around $300 (Belden CAT6 bulk cables, Legrand cat6 face plates, monoprice patch panel, trunking, super long drill bit etc). DIYed, so no labour cost involved.

MoCA still seems cheaper.

stevensp

Reaction score
Blk 29x Punggol Central

I found the SCV box and it's locked.
Just emailed Town Council about this.

Town Council replied that it is HDB business. Still waiting for HDB to reply.
Will they opened up the box to let me install the POE filter?

megaweb

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Thanks jazz2005 and manyu882 for your information. Hope more value for money Moca adatper will launch in the market to make its price lower.

jazz2005

Master Member
Reaction score
Town Council replied that it is HDB business. Still waiting for HDB to reply.
Will they opened up the box to let me install the POE filter?

In earlier posts (same thread), a guy had the same issue was arrow here and there till he was finally directed to Starhub. He agreed to pay $40 to Starhub to send a technician to open the box and install the PoE filter for him. Perhaps your best bet is to call Starhub. BTW, where did you get the PoE from in sg?

claypot_king

Banned
Reaction score
Zisa from Alibaba. 1 pair around 100sgd including shipment. Chipset same as Actiontec ECB6200. Now all my adapters are flashed with Actiontec firmware and super stable. They don’t provide coaxial and LAN cable and POE filter though... just get them from Sim Lim tower.

You can also get Yitong MoCA 2.0 from Alibaba at less than SGD100 per pair including shipment. They provide coaxial cable, LAN cables and and EU type power adapter if you request for it. I have tried their unbonded MoCA 2.0 and had to RMA one of the MoCA adapters after 6 months usage.

Hi, do you have the link to the Actiontec firmware?

queks

Reaction score
Anyone tried from your MoCA to your fiber STB coax input directly?

Samsung stb coax is a MoCA v1.1 device. It works for me for about 1 month before a firmware update from starhub kill it. Want to know anyone have luck with it?

Reborn

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
When cable signals are disabled from July this year, does it mean Deca can be used without any interference from cable signals with out the need to disconnect any cables?

superjelly4311

Master Member
Reaction score
Wait... so is there an issue to install this setup? I thought since normal tv is already discontinued, we don't need any connection to tv antenna.

Just have to disconnect to the radio dish and you can make use of internal moca cables without interference as well as broadcasting your signal?

jazz2005

Master Member
Reaction score
Bite the bullet and ordered a pair of Actiontec Bonded 2.0 Moca adapters from Amazon Prime Now Singapore for $240.10 and received it within 2 hours of ordered. Setup was very easy, the only tough part was moving the TV and cabinet to get access the coaxial outlet, lol. Super happy to get avg speed of 930 mbps download speed. YouTube will play 4k videos and China sites such youku, etc will play 超清 videos on my desktop in the room. Wasn't really sure how the moca adapters will improve my internet experience before as my powerline homeplug adapters were delivering 230 mbps. Now, I need to save up for a 4k monitor lol.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.