NIE admission anyone? - Part 2

Origamimosa

Reaction score
Would anyone know about the T&C regarding maternity leave and anything pertaining to getting/being pregnant during the contract teaching time or during PGDE studies? The deferment period, perhaps?

Last edited:

juggernaut7

Reaction score
Would anyone know about the T&C regarding maternity leave and anything pertaining to getting/being pregnant during the contract teaching time or during PGDE studies? The deferment period, perhaps?

If I'm not wrong if you're pregnant during yr contract stint, u will still get yr maternity leave benefits - u will be paid while on maternity lv BUT if u are in NIE & started yr PGDE course & u get pregnant & need to go on maternity, u will be on no pay leave & may have to repeat the whole course, it depends on when u go for maternity, eg if end of term 1 then I guess u will have cleared term 1 already but again I may be wrong. I recall during the start of our PGDE briefing, the Asst Dean of PGDE course were saying that ladies who intend to go on maternity, pls consult his office to discuss the timing as trainees will be place on NoPayLv & this will hv an impact on both yr studies (graduation) as well as yr finances.

So better to go on maternity during yr contract as u will be covered.
To confirm this, u may want to email Asst Dean of PGDE programme Dr Eddie Chong <eddy.chong@nie.edu.sg>

Origamimosa

Reaction score
If I'm not wrong if you're pregnant during yr contract stint, u will still get yr maternity leave benefits - u will be paid while on maternity lv BUT if u are in NIE & started yr PGDE course & u get pregnant & need to go on maternity, u will be on no pay leave & may have to repeat the whole course, it depends on when u go for maternity, eg if end of term 1 then I guess u will have cleared term 1 already but again I may be wrong. I recall during the start of our PGDE briefing, the Asst Dean of PGDE course were saying that ladies who intend to go on maternity, pls consult his office to discuss the timing as trainees will be place on NoPayLv & this will hv an impact on both yr studies (graduation) as well as yr finances.

So better to go on maternity during yr contract as u will be covered.
To confirm this, u may want to email Asst Dean of PGDE programme Dr Eddie Chong <eddy.chong@nie.edu.sg>

Thank you so much for the information! This is extremely helpful! 😊😊

blues7

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
PE teacher is best position as MOE teacher

Same pay as other subject teachers

Got better chance of doing projects becoz that takes a lot of time and seriously, only PE teacher got time after school everyday

All other subjects, teacher need to spend a lot of time to do marking and lesson planning, admin etc

PE lesson planning is much more straightforward, mainly to gather equipment and settle logistics

While Mgmt will of course do their magic and ensure that all teachers put in a lot of work to be worth their monthly salary, performance bonus and year end 13th month

Still, PE teacher’s workload is less stressful than other subject teachers

Likewise, art and music teachers are the same as PE teachers

That’s why teachers who resign are mostly English, Math and Science teachers

If mother tongue teachers resign, they do it becoz they have better income giving enrichment or tuition classes

I have colleagues who do not even have sports background being accepted as PE teachers. I myself am not from a sports degree programme but I've playing sports and coaching most of my adult life. I'm thankful to have been accepted.

Last edited:

Kyoji83

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
From my understanding, PE Teacher needs to take up additional 1 or 2 subjects apart from PE.

PE teacher is best position as MOE teacher

Same pay as other subject teachers

Got better chance of doing projects becoz that takes a lot of time and seriously, only PE teacher got time after school everyday

All other subjects, teacher need to spend a lot of time to do marking and lesson planning, admin etc

PE lesson planning is much more straightforward, mainly to gather equipment and settle logistics

While Mgmt will of course do their magic and ensure that all teachers put in a lot of work to be worth their monthly salary, performance bonus and year end 13th month

Still, PE teacher’s workload is less stressful than other subject teachers

Likewise, art and music teachers are the same as PE teachers

That’s why teachers who resign are mostly English, Math and Science teachers

If mother tongue teachers resign, they do it becoz they have better income giving enrichment or tuition classes

Happiness1234

Reaction score
Sharing my timeline in case anyone needs it in future:
Intake: 2018/19
17 july - interview
Mid nov - EPT
End nov - asked to go for medical
Early dec - EPT result
Second week of jan - received my offer letter via email.

Long wait, but worth it

Last edited:

Mamimo

Reaction score
Congrats! This was in 2018/2019? Yours is pgde?

17 july - interview
Mid nov - EPT
Early dec - EPT result

Long wait, but worth it

Origamimosa

Reaction score
17 july - interview
Mid nov - EPT
Early dec - EPT result

Long wait, but worth it

Congratulations! Do you start contract teaching in Feb or in June?

HD665JS

Reaction score
Hi guys, I will like to ask if anyone here knows the remuneration scheme during our contract teaching and nie studies?

Are we only entitled to monthly salary and 13th month? we do not have the PB and mid/end year bonus right?

Thanks!

Cesium-137

Reaction score
Hi guys, I will like to ask if anyone here knows the remuneration scheme during our contract teaching and nie studies?

Are we only entitled to monthly salary and 13th month? we do not have the PB and mid/end year bonus right?

Thanks!

good question, the website states that trained teachers are elgible for the other bonuses. So by inference , i supposed untrained teachers might not qualify for the mid/end year bonuses. PB is def not possible as you are under training(either in school or NIE)

juggernaut7

Reaction score

Thanks!

Apart from the 13th mth, during contract teaching & NIE trg, u are entitled to PB & mid year bonus - pegged to a C grade performer because still under trg, MOE wants to be fair to all trainees, so they pegged you to C graders for PB.

juggernaut7

Reaction score
From my understanding, PE Teacher needs to take up additional 1 or 2 subjects apart from PE.

No, the new PGDE PE programme is now a single subject (PE & Sports Science) but u will be trained in both the Pri/Sec level, so it depends on yr luck after your trg as to where they may post u either pri or sec schl.
No more like in the old days where PGDE PE you will teach PE and another teaching subjects.

For some secondary school, they have another O level subject - Sports Science. so the new breed of PE teachers posted to sec schl will have to teach that - but again only certain Sec schl offers Sports Science for O level.

happybaby89

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long will the posting be out after the appointment briefing? And what to expect for the first day at work?

simplylyn

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long will the posting be out after the appointment briefing? And what to expect for the first day at work?

Posting of school will usually be out 1 week before your assumption of duty date (you have to do 4.5 days of Intro to Teaching Programme before going to your school anyway).

No need to be anxious about the posting unless you don't receive any updates 1 week before your AOD.

First day (AOD date) - it will be at AST and it will mostly be briefings. There's not much to expect. Just get through the 4.5 days without incident.

First day in school - you will report to school in the afternoon of your 5th day (after the intro programme is finished in the morning) - it is mostly administrative stuff like getting your desk, finding out your timetable, maybe signing up for your online accounts. You will hopefully be assigned a reporting officer and mentors that you'll be following. Just be ready to take in a lot of information and maybe meet quite a lot of new people.

Last edited:

happybaby89

Reaction score
Posting of school will usually be out 1 week before your assumption of duty date (you have to do 4.5 days of Intro to Teaching Programme before going to your school anyway).

No need to be anxious about the posting unless you don't receive any updates 1 week before your AOD.

First day (AOD date) - it will be at AST and it will mostly be briefings. There's not much to expect. Just get through the 4.5 days without incident.

First day in school - you will report to school in the afternoon of your 5th day (after the intro programme is finished in the morning) - it is mostly administrative stuff like getting your desk, finding out your timetable, maybe signing up for your online accounts. You will hopefully be assigned a reporting officer and mentors that you'll be following. Just be ready to take in a lot of information and maybe meet quite a lot of new people.

Thank you so much for the info:)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.