[Maylyn - Networking] ASUS RT-AC88U

needsomecash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, encounter Internet disconnection issue that last 30 seconds for almost every 5~10minutes.

The router webpage will show "Internet status: Disconnected".
This happen since Friday night and lasted till now. I've upgraded the firmware today to 3.0.0.4.384_45149-g467037b but do not see any improvement.

Anyone can help?

renfred89

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, encounter Internet disconnection issue that last 30 seconds for almost every 5~10minutes.

This happen since Friday night and lasted till now. I've upgraded the firmware today to 3.0.0.4.384_45149-g467037b but do not see any improvement.

Anyone can help?

reset it yet?

joesph

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Anyone can help?
go nearer?

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

*adiBOY

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Guys, router will degrade in performance over time?

Can't believe I am achieving a DL speed of 600Mbps on my MacBook Pro initially and now it is less than 200Mbps :s22:

Even after RMA also same issue zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

xiaofan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Can't believe I am achieving a DL speed of 600Mbps on my MacBook Pro initially and now it is less than 200Mbps :s22:

Maybe not the router issue but rather your testing method or the ISP.

My Linksys WRT1900AC is still going strong after 4 and half years of 7/24/365 usage. It is supposedly comparable to Asus RT-AC68U.

Ref:
https://www.hardwarezone.com.sg/fea...s-d-link-vs-linksys-vs-netgear/conclusion-188

Last edited:

aLpHa-Ev7

Reaction score

So far my AC88 going strong after 3 years.

Maybe firmware?

xiaorazor

Reaction score
Any idea if I can get spare antenna for my ac88u, one of mine broke

Sent from HUAWEI CLT-L29 using GAGT

papahomer2002

Reaction score
I wonder what I encounter below is unusual or what?

Was using M1 supplied RT-AC1200G+ & could get Network speed at 866Mbps from my phone S7 5Ghz band.

Bought RT-AC88U expecting better speed but was dismal to find only 433Mbps with the same phone S7 5Ghz band.

Both routers setting are at default & with firmware latest. Cable from WAN is cat7. Measuring distance & time all same.

My M1 is FIBRE 1Gbps plan.

What could be the problems? Another dud AC88U?

Hope some seniors here can enlighten. Thanks

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Was using M1 supplied RT-AC1200G+ & could get Network speed at 866Mbps from my phone S7 5Ghz band.

Bought RT-AC88U expecting better speed but was dismal to find only 433Mbps with the same phone S7 5Ghz band.

Both routers setting are at default & with firmware latest. Cable from WAN is cat7. Measuring distance & time all same.

I would suggest that u redo the setting up of the router.

kashix

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

That’s just link rate, it’s more practical to test actual throughput. Do a Speedtest to see which gives you better speed. A bit pointless to compare link rate.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Try setting your 5ghz bandwidth to 80mhz

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Tried but no improvement.
On hindsight, I look at the first page of this thread & this AC88U looks so promising. It is also still features in Asus website. Yet this kind of issue!

Do you have any other 5ghz 2x2 devices to test with ? In any case, unless you constantly transfer large files to and from your phone, the link speed doesn't really matter in real world use. Because you hardly max out the bandwidth to your phone.

GReddy G9 RS

Reaction score
On hindsight, I look at the first page of this thread & this AC88U looks so promising. It is also still features in Asus website. Yet this kind of issue!
That's y i sold off my AC88U for AC86U.

Sent from HUAWEI MATE 20 using GAGT

papahomer2002

Reaction score
Do you have any other 5ghz 2x2 devices to test with ? In any case, unless you constantly transfer large files to and from your phone, the link speed doesn't really matter in real world use. Because you hardly max out the bandwidth to your phone.

Yes, many 5GHz devices like laptops, iPad. All the speedtest is slower than before.
Point is, this is expensive top end router & not performing better then entry model! It defeats the purpose of upgrading.
Thanks for your input anyway.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just claim warranty and they can even set up the new router for you so you just plug in at home and it will work nicely. Very good router. It also have Ai-protection which is so easy to use. Used AC88U for a few yrs.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.