Citibank Maxigain Savings Account

Linguist

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Because i am not going to give any revenue to my rm, I would rather ask the call center than trouble my rm

Found the below in the TNC pdf file.

3. To be eligible for Base Reward, a Customer is required to:
(i) enroll in this Promotion through his/her Personal Banker or Relationship Manager within the Promotion
Period;
(ii) transfer the Top Up Amount within the Enrolment Month (less any funds outflow during Pre-enrolment
Period);

(iii) not have a net outflow of funds in any month within the Minimum Maintenance Period; and
(iv) maintain a qualified Citi Priority, Citigold, or Citigold Private Client banking relationship (including its
Asset Und

anyone knows point 2 means what? funds outflow in pre-enrolment period (meaning Oct, Nov & Dec) + end account balance as at 31 Dec 2018 = Account balance before top-up?

The phrase they use is "funds outflow" rather than "net funds outflow". Which the latter could mean balance of inflow against outflow. While the former could mean any outflow of funds happening in the 3 months.

my PB still have not replied me on my query for this point. :(

Weee, my RM replied me :s22::s12:

She said "balance of your total inflows and outflows".
So we just need to check our account balance as at
i. 31 Dec 2018, and
ii. 01 Oct 2018 (“Pre-enrolment Period” refers to the three (3) months immediately before the Enrolment Month, excluding
the Enrolment Month)

The higher amount will be the account balance amount treated as before top-up. :s8:

LexusIS

Reaction score

i. 31 Dec 2018, and
ii. 01 Oct 2018 (“Pre-enrolment Period” refers to the three (3) months immediately before the Enrolment Month, excluding
the Enrolment Month)

The higher amount will be the account balance amount treated as before top-up. :s8:

Wah my RM gave conflicting answers.

1) minimum of $70k and above in order for counter to step up

2) Maxigain doesn’t qualify for TOP up in Q4 -18

3) she is just back and will clarify on the latest TOP up promo to see if maxigain qualify for TOP up in Q1-19

She sounds so confident especially on point 1. Saying is her bread and butter and she has checked it before. Mmmm

vddgnd

Reaction score

i. 31 Dec 2018, and
the Enrolment Month)

Do u understand the point (ii) ?
How to calculate the fund outflow? Is it total withdrawal within 1-Oct to 31-Dec from any Citibank account?
Or the "net funds outflow" ?
Or the highest day end outflow?

What does it mean "The higher amount will be the account balance amount treated as before top-up. "? Pls provide example

hlw8888

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

3) she is just back and will clarify on the latest TOP up promo to see if maxigain qualify for TOP up in Q1-19

She sounds so confident especially on point 1. Saying is her bread and butter and she has checked it before. Mmmm
if no. 1 really is true, then time for me to say bye bye to citibank le.

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT

Linguist

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do u understand the point (ii) ?
How to calculate the fund outflow? Is it total withdrawal within 1-Oct to 31-Dec from any Citibank account?
Or the "net funds outflow" ?
Or the highest day end outflow?

What does it mean "The higher amount will be the account balance amount treated as before top-up. "? Pls provide example

Net funds outflow. So total inflow - total outflow between Oct - Dec.

If your total outflow is more, u get result as negative amount
(aka your account balance as at 31 Dec < account balance as at 01 Oct.
So the higher amount is balance as at 01 Oct)

If result is positive amount, it means inflow > outflow
(aka your account balance as at 31 Dec > account balance as at 01 Oct.
So the higher amount is balance as at 31 Dec. )

Note:
Above example only applies if you perform top-up in Jan, and signed the document for the promotion in Jan.

If you did your top-up in Feb, (or top-up in Jan, but only signed document in Feb), the Pre-enrolment Period will be "Nov 18 - Jan 19", as your Enrolment month = Feb 2019

Quote from TNC
[“Enrolment Month” refers to the calendar month in which a Customer enrolls for this Promotion.]

Last edited:

Linguist

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if no. 1 really is true, then time for me to say bye bye to citibank le.

Sent from Xiaomi MI MAX using GAGT

1) False. She interpret wrongly.
To earn base interest : minimum S$70,000 daily end of day balance
To get counter increase : if the lowest balance in that month is equal to or greater than the lowest balance in the preceding month.

So you don't need 70k for the counter to increase. But you will not get the base interest if your account does not have daily end of day balance of 70k.

Base Interest
"Interest at the Base Interest Rate will accrue daily, if you maintain at least S$70,000 in your MaxiGain account, based on the daily end of day balance and will be paid on the last day of the month."

So if betweeen 1st Jan - 10 Jan you don't have 70k in your maxigain account, you will not earn the base interest (only peanuts @ 0.05% for 10 days).
If between 11 Jan - 31 Jan you top-up your account balance to 70k, you will earn that base interest (70% of SIBOR for 21 days).

Bonus Interest
"The Bonus Interest Rate on the other hand has no requirement of a minimum balance . Bonus interest will accrue in a month at the relevant Bonus Interest Rate for so long as the Counter for that month is higher than zero."

If you do not qualify for the base interest, you may still qualify for the bonus interest (cap at 1.2%) as long as your lowest account balance in the month does not fall below the lowest balance in preceding month.

However, make sure your total AUM with Citibank is >= 15k, else will incur service charge (being AUM balance fall-below fee).

2) According to Localborn's RM, top-up to maxigain will be qualified and revised TNC will be notified to all customers via email.

3) Quoted from TNC
[“Top Up” refers to a net inflow of funds from outside Citi into all of a Customer’s primary accounts, including Citi checking and savings accounts, foreign currency time deposits, investments and life insurances distributed by Citi on an advised basis.

Funds credited into cash management account and SGD time deposit account where such time deposit has an interest rate of one (1) per cent or higher will not count
towards a “Top Up”.]

Maxigain account is a current/savings account.
The TNC did not explicitly states that it exclude Maxigain account from the top-up promotion.

But you can wait for your PB/RM confirmation :s12:

Last edited:

vsvs24

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Citibank is seriously the number 1 bank where their staff (including RM) don't understand their products and keep giving wrong advice. And to make things worse, they come out with super complicated terms that no one understands.

Really one of a kind. How to trust this kind of bank with your money ?

Linguist

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Citibank is seriously the number 1 bank where their staff (including RM) don't understand their products and keep giving wrong advice. And to make things worse, they come out with super complicated terms that no one understands.

Really one of a kind. How to trust this kind of bank with your money ?

As long as covered under SDIC.
Don't have account security problem like CIMB Malaysia recently experienced.

Products with complicated terms = harder for consumers like us to benefit from the "good deals", so the bank will "win", and survive in this era.

Despite agreeing that they have more staff not kept up to date or understand their products, I would still rather like to have Citibank around. Imagine if another retail bank closed down in Singapore (referring to ANZ Bank).

Less competition = less choices for consumers = less "good deals" :(
(ANZ Bank previously offers loan @ 0% interest rate, no processing fee for 6 months. UOB attempted the same with shorter period. That was like 2-3 years ago. Now where got such deal!)

Trazora

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
As long as covered under SDIC.
Don't have account security problem like CIMB Malaysia recently experienced.

Products with complicated terms = harder for consumers like us to benefit from the "good deals", so the bank will "win", and survive in this era.

Despite agreeing that they have more staff not kept up to date or understand their products, I would still rather like to have Citibank around. Imagine if another retail bank closed down in Singapore (referring to ANZ Bank).

Less competition = less choices for consumers = less "good deals" :(
(ANZ Bank previously offers loan @ 0% interest rate, no processing fee for 6 months. UOB attempted the same with shorter period. That was like 2-3 years ago. Now where got such deal!)

Citibank used to be competitive but no longer the case after major nerf to their cards and maxigain :(

ABuNeNe

Banned
Reaction score
the base and bonus interest only applies to the first $150k so there's no point keeping more than $150k right?

Mickey01

Reaction score
All
read from forum here some unpleasant experience in 2016/2017 by customers who tried to open their Maxigain account using Citibank Instant Banking Centre. Is it advisable to use such Instant Banking Centres in 2019?

havetheveryfun

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All
read from forum here some unpleasant experience in 2016/2017 by customers who tried to open their Maxigain account using Citibank Instant Banking Centre. Is it advisable to use such Instant Banking Centres in 2019?

depends what u want to do, if sign up CC or take loans etc they are very good. for other things better to go to full service branches if possible.

vsvs24

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
All

Maxigain tnc changed wef 2 Jan 2019. Make sure you are reading the new tnc and not old ones.

Mickey01

Reaction score
Maxigain tnc changed wef 2 Jan 2019. Make sure you are reading the new tnc and not old ones.

Yes, I am aware of that. I read through the FAQ displayed at Citibank website.:s22:

If the Maxigain T&Cs do not change drastically over the next 12 months, it should be able to replace my BOC Smartsaver/BOC Family Card.

Last edited:

TickTechToe

Master Member
Reaction score
I already switched to Maxigain from BOC, no minimum spending for credit card which I like.. last time.. every month must think what to buy to hit $500 minimum spending..

Yes, I am aware of that. I read through the FAQ displayed at Citibank website.:s22:

If the Maxigain T&Cs do not change drastically over the next 12 months, it should be able to replace my BOC Smartsaver/BOC Family Card.

Mickey01

Reaction score
I already switched to Maxigain from BOC, no minimum spending for credit card which I like.. last time.. every month must think what to buy to hit $500 minimum spending..

for my case, hitting the min $500 minimum spend is not an issue. BOC Family Card changed their rebate T&Cs recently that it is not worth to continue with that card based on my spending pattern.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.