SSD suddenly died

Alexls

Reaction score
So i recently got an adata su650 960gb as boot drive and storage

this afternoon i unplug it and connect my old sandisk ssd
(if im not wrong, sata data cable was still connected to adata but no sata power)

windows booted up after quite a long time "setting up devices"

after that when remove sandisk and connect back adata, it doesnt work anymore

it is not detected in bios, minitool wizard, testdisk, but appears in disk management. in disk management, it is not initialised and has capacity of 0mb, when try to initialise it gives an error

any idea what cause this problem? or was i so lucky it just randomly died?

SGJoe86

Reaction score
Sounds like a very very dead SSD. Try switching your SATA cable to another SATA port on the motherboard. You can also try swapping the cable itself.

watzup_ken

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do you have a spare SATA cable to test? And also try another SATA port. What you described sounded like how a failed flash drive will behave, but no harm trying to see if its something else that's faulty.

Alexls

Reaction score
Sounds like a very very dead SSD. Try switching your SATA cable to another SATA port on the motherboard. You can also try swapping the cable itself.

Do you have a spare SATA cable to test? And also try another SATA port. What you described sounded like how a failed flash drive will behave, but no harm trying to see if its something else that's faulty.

GG to me
tried different data cable, different port, different power cable
all still cannot
wont buy adata again

worst thing cant even rma because scared they see what i have inside :s22:

Hafi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
dun throw away first, try it on other comp when you get the chance.

LiLAsN

Master Member
Reaction score
Firstly, that is what you get for buying a DRAMless SSD. Find out more on how DRAMless SSDs impact your SSD performance + shortening the SSD life. And as a result, why you should avoid buying cheap SSDs that are DRAMless overall.

SSDs fail catastrophically in that there may be no signs to tell you that it might die. It just either works or it doesn't. Thus why it is advisable to back up to an external slow spinning HDD for personal data backup. I recommend going for trustworthy drives with low failure rates. I don't trust Western Digital ones as quite of few of those drives of mine either failed or is experiencing extremely slow speeds.

Go with the tried and true Samsung SSDs to avoid any headaches. Their Samsung Magician software will also tell you if one of your SSDs are about to become bad thanks to S.M.A.R.T.

SGJoe86

Reaction score
GG to me
tried different data cable, different port, different power cable
all still cannot
wont buy adata again

worst thing cant even rma because scared they see what i have inside :s22:
If you're worry about them snooping around your drive when you RMA it (ain't suppose to happen, but hey~), there are software out there that can wipe your disk pretty clean.

Alexls

Reaction score
If you're worry about them snooping around your drive when you RMA it (ain't suppose to happen, but hey~), there are software out there that can wipe your disk pretty clean.

can recommend? problem is now most software cant even detect it, how to wipe it :s22:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

(if im not wrong, sata data cable was still connected to adata but no sata power)

it is not detected in bios, minitool wizard, testdisk, but appears in disk management. in disk management, it is not initialised and has capacity of 0mb, when try to initialise it gives an error

Without power the SSD might able to continue to work but may have some problem in detecting it correctly... as in your statement "setting up devices" indicated.

There are several possibilities you have have overlooked and/or not remembered certain issues.

Do check on the connectors on both SSD and cable for any damaged or irregularities of the components.

Use another good/reliable cable and computer to check and verify the status of the SSD concern.

The main cause is unable to detect 'properly' and may not be any damaged yet to be confirmed.

Kyo_kusanagi86

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I suspect the SSD board somehow fried and died. Just RMA it ba...

I don't have good expectation with Adata SSD, stick to the usual Samsung or WD, Kingston or even scandisk ssd ba.

Alexls

Reaction score
QFT.

A DRAMless SSD will have a 90% chance of failing instantly if power is removed during read/write operation. That's the SSD by design.

The more expensive SSDs have the DRAM to flush writes to disk in the event of power loss. Hence it doesn't fail.

This is why I still stick to my Seagate HDDs for now.

if data cable plugged in but power cable not in, will it cause it to fail?

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

normally, i would setup drives

c: - ssd 240gb crucial/samsuck - os n app drive
d: - mech normally 1tb - download n cache (dont want to wear down ssd to much)
e: - ssd 500gb n above - game drive
f: - 3 to 8tb mech drive - data

read the comments/feedbacks in newegg for Adata su960. I am very concern so i did some reading as its on 3 stars. Its a great game drive!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.