Starhub 1Gbps Fibre Review

^Tripper^

Reaction score
Strange issue. Use starhub local speed test, I get 700-900 mbps. Use any other speed test site, approx 250mbps. Wired, and tested on both router and ONT. Interesting.

SyraLeo

Master Member
Reaction score
Ok so.. hopefully it's resolved.

The timeline is.. old cable + starhub ONT + linksys router, intermittent disconnects and slow speeds.

Thought it's the router, switched back to my M1 router, Asus ac1200g+, problem became worse. (Tech told me this might be the cause, since the ONT recognizes a new router and assigns new IP and MAC, causing a conflict)

Finally found time to call Starhub, turned off router + ONT, they reset my IP and MAC, turned back on, new cat 6 and old cat 5e cable have the same issue, slow speedtest of 90mbps and OW only downloaded at 8-10mbps. Decided to leave my new cat 6 cable plugged in.

Woke up this morning, speedtest went back up to 600+ and OW downloaded at near 70mbps. Still on new cat 6 cable.

when the tech came to test on his macbook pro, he hit 900mbps with my new wire, cat 6. I asked him to try my old 5e cable, same 900mbps.

He didn't stay long enough to see if there's any intermittent disconnects.

i plugged in to my own PC to test again with the new cat 6 cable, now i can hit 900mbps....
fcP5lJU.jpg

I honestly don't know what is going on, before he came, i cant hit 900, now i can and i didnt even do anything besides taking the cable out and plugging it back in... WTF?

Anyway, never change anything, speed seems ok now so... he left. I can't complain because everything seems to be working as intended now.

Fingers crossed nothing happens again.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

The timeline is.. old cable + starhub ONT + linksys router, intermittent disconnects and slow speeds.

Thought it's the router, switched back to my M1 router, Asus ac1200g+, problem became worse. (Tech told me this might be the cause, since the ONT recognizes a new router and assigns new IP and MAC, causing a conflict)

Finally found time to call Starhub, turned off router + ONT, they reset my IP and MAC, turned back on, new cat 6 and old cat 5e cable have the same issue, slow speedtest of 90mbps and OW only downloaded at 8-10mbps. Decided to leave my new cat 6 cable plugged in.

Woke up this morning, speedtest went back up to 600+ and OW downloaded at near 70mbps. Still on new cat 6 cable.

when the tech came to test on his macbook pro, he hit 900mbps with my new wire, cat 6. I asked him to try my old 5e cable, same 900mbps.

i plugged in to my own PC to test again with the new cat 6 cable, now i can hit 900mbps....
fcP5lJU.jpg

I honestly don't know what is going on, before he came, i cant hit 900, now i can and i didnt even do anything besides taking the cable out and plugging it back in... WTF?

Anyway, never change anything, speed seems ok now so... he left. I can't complain because everything seems to be working as intended now.

Actually this is some kind of gigabit ethernet auto negotiation problem. Next time just try to unplug the cable from your computer then plug it in again. Try a few times and it will be normal.

Last edited:

K|muRa^84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so starhub came to set up my 1gbps fibre today. i was at work so my parents liaised with the tech. no speed test was conducted, sigh

i just got home and tested using my iphone connected wirelessly. Starhub Local test page shows Download = 55mbps; Upload = 25mbps

wtf? i know it's wireless but how can it be so awful?

UPDATE
- Wired connection works well enough. Download exceeds 1000mbps (lol?), though Upload only goes up to 800+mbps. Should I make noise abt this to Starhub? Or this upload speed is sufficient?

- Strangely, I get slightly higher speeds using the grey cable instead of the black cable

- Wireless speeds are still god awful. Can I conclude that it's a Router issue?

(Above based on speed tests done using the starhub local test page on Edge browser)

Last edited:

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so starhub came to set up my 1gbps fibre today. i was at work so my parents liaised with the tech. no speed test was conducted, sigh

i just got home and tested using my iphone connected wirelessly. Starhub Local test page shows Download = 55mbps; Upload = 25mbps

wtf? i know it's wireless but how can it be so awful?

UPDATE
- Wired connection works well enough. Download exceeds 1000mbps (lol?), though Upload only goes up to 800+mbps. Should I make noise abt this to Starhub? Or this upload speed is sufficient?

- Strangely, I get slightly higher speeds using the grey cable instead of the black cable

- Wireless speeds are still god awful. Can I conclude that it's a Router issue?

(Above based on speed tests done using the starhub local test page on Edge browser)

Maybe try to disable the DFS channel.

Refer > Dynamic Frequency Selection (DFS) - FAQ

hako92

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My stupiak stinktel $70 fibre+landline+mio bundle contract ends liao. Ish starhub fibre good? I saw the 1gbps plan ish $39/mth nia

K|muRa^84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i'm getting 200+mbps Download on 5ghz 1m away from my Router on my laptop using a 1x1 network card (max 433mbps)

would upgrading to a better 2x2 network card improve speeds?

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i'm getting 200+mbps Download on 5ghz 1m away from my Router on my laptop using a 1x1 network card (max 433mbps)

what router you are using?

eric3743

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
DFS only affects 5ghz frequency right?

My 2.4ghz speed is slower than when i was using my old Asus AC68 on a 100mbps plan!

By right you should be getting around of what your previous router since the specification is much better.

Not sure as i may have yet to test it since recent recontract with this router and not using it.

Yes upgrade would improve as wireless usually is half the link speed max 433mbps.

Instead on using network card why not go for USB wifi adapter which give a much higher speed and with additional features.

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

Your speed is normal.

If you upgrade to 2x2 then may be can get 300Mbps. I suggest using Cat.6 LAN cable connection.

K|muRa^84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Your speed is normal.

If you upgrade to 2x2 then may be can get 300Mbps. I suggest using Cat.6 LAN cable connection.

noted

Noob question: is the IP switch only meant for the set-top box?
In other words, for broadband, i need to connect LAN cable from Router to Data Point, and another LAN cable from the connecting Data Point in the relevant bedroom to Laptop?

6xiaolun9

Reaction score
My contract with m1 fibre is up, i am thinking to change to StarHub to give it a try with the Linksys EA8100-AH. Anyone able to give some feedback on StarHub or should i stick with M1. Previously, they have 1gb mobile data but I seldom use it.

Last edited:

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

fcP5lJU.jpg

They have adjusted on their end. There are still 500Mbps around like my plan. :(

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
noted

Noob question: is the IP switch only meant for the set-top box?
In other words, for broadband, i need to connect LAN cable from Router to Data Point, and another LAN cable from the connecting Data Point in the relevant bedroom to Laptop?

No. From Router LAN Port to relevant bedroom to Laptop

gld998

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My contract with m1 fibre is up, i am thinking to change to StarHub to give it a try with the Linksys EA8100-AH. Anyone able to give some feedback on StarHub or should i stick with M1. Previously, they have 1gb mobile data but I seldom use it.

wait for IT Fair then renew there. Got promo 6 months free and google mesh wifi free for new customers.

Loyalty doesnt pay in SG!

Henry Ng

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
M1 is good.
Why fix it when it is not broken? Why you want to move to Starhub? All ISP is same same so why move?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.