2.0 & 2.1 speaker discussion thread IV [consolidated]

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Sora-

Reaction score
eDglzWG.jpg

Sg can get such used setup at $200?

Camp on carousell some good **** appear sometimes ba.

2mths back i got audioengine a5 passives + some unknown tube amp from a nice uncle at $120+70

Last week bought wharfedale diamond 220 for $150

Cambridge audio amp probably can't fit that budget tho, when pop up like 200 or more by itself liao

Reaction score

2mths back i got audioengine a5 passives + some unknown tube amp from a nice uncle at $120+70

Cambridge audio amp probably can't fit that budget tho, when pop up like 200 or more by itself liao

can sic filter at carousell?

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score

was looking at the a5s, the uncle seem to have a lot of stuff to sell. hope it's a good buy for you!

:s12::s12::s12:

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score

quite hard, must be on carousell every other day scouring for deals bah.

but there's a lot of stuff out there, where ppl don't use and selling. might not be this cheap but still worth getting.

i saw some decent NAD amps, for about $250 or so. you just need to know what you are looking for, shouldn't be too hard.

wharfedale speakers usually quite good prices.

managed to score some speakers too last week.

will share the setup once i have everything sorted at my new place.

:D:D:D:D:D

-Sora-

Reaction score
can sic filter at carousell?
No secret leh, Electronics > Audio and scroll like dog haha. Search the popular brands also can

was looking at the a5s, the uncle seem to have a lot of stuff to sell. hope it's a good buy for you!
:s12::s12::s12:
Ya damn good buy imo, much better than my edifier r1850db. I think he still got one more set, I saw it in his showroom, so can try asking him if u want!

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
noob qn;

if i have a sound card and just got a dac, should i pull out my soundcard, and plug into usb slot from mobo to dac, or use the 3.5 from soundcard to rca into the dac?

i think both ways should work? but dunno which is correct/ better?

sorry if i'm confusing you all...

:s22::s22::s22:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Challenger Bugis has some speakers for testing:

RMLaOg5.png

Look at how much space Logitech MX Sound takes up... Slightly wider than R1010BT yet has a puny woofer, very inefficient use of space

XFYKNtj.png

Shop is too wide and too noisy to test bass extension and volume, so can't tell whether the Luna ($269 btw) has as good bass as iLoud. It is certainly bigger than iLoud tho. But despite how big the chassis looks compared to the woofer / faceplate, it is still slightly smaller than 3" bookshelves, tho not by much. iLoud: 90mm width, Luna: 122mm width, CR3: 140mm width, AV32: 130mm width.

Speaking of iLoud, it's on discount for around $325 now
https://www.amazon.com/IK-Multimedi...=1547479395&sr=8-5&keywords=studio+monitor+3"

The two Edifier speakers have vastly different sounds. Luna reminds me of Audioengine A2. Which is the type of tuning I prefer. Warmish with lots of upper-bass (to compensate for lack of lower-bass). R1010BT sounds very wide, or the "lots of air" kind of sound, or the "is this thing having the correct phase?" kind of sound. It also shares the sound of R2000DB of having low amount of lower-midrange. So now I'm convinced this sound is a design choice.

Also, the size of R1010BT is cute.

The leftmost speaker is the KEF EGG (Yes all caps, according to the official name). The one with 4.25" Uni-Q.

-Sora-

Reaction score
noob qn;

if i have a sound card and just got a dac, should i pull out my soundcard, and plug into usb slot from mobo to dac, or use the 3.5 from soundcard to rca into the dac?

i think both ways should work? but dunno which is correct/ better?

sorry if i'm confusing you all...

:s22::s22::s22:
u mean connecting 3.5mm audio jack to RCA into the DAC?
That's not using the DAC function le, 3.5mm jack come out is analog signal, you'd want it to be digital!

Stick to USB or SPDIF/Toslink

-Sora-

Reaction score

The wood makes it look damn fancy also!

R1010BT sounds very wide, or the "lots of air" kind of sound, or the "is this thing having the correct phase?" kind of sound. It also shares the sound of R2000DB of having low amount of lower-midrange. So now I'm convinced this sound is a design choice.
Wish I knew that before ordering my R1850DB, which also sounds like it has a less mids, I tune the bass and treble down to 9oclock alr still feel like not enough. Mid-range sounds kinda thin and robotic, not my thing.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wish I knew that before ordering my R1850DB, which also sounds like it has a less mids, I tune the bass and treble down to 9oclock alr still feel like not enough. Mid-range sounds kinda thin and robotic, not my thing.

Edifier's bass and treble knobs only affect the extreme frequencies, so they don't do much for overall tonal adjustments. As opposed to one that changes a wide range of frequencies, like Swan's for example.

Maybe you can try the same EQ I did with R2000DB
https://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/118205068-post23.html

5star_pundit

Banned
Reaction score
The wood makes it look damn fancy also!

Wah lao
Edifier speaker are more for gaming mah
So far there are no speaker which is good for both music and gaming yet

Reaction score
Any experience with audio engine 5 vs JBL LSR305’s?

RMLaOg5.png

Look at how much space Logitech MX Sound takes up... Slightly wider than R1010BT yet has a puny woofer, very inefficient use of space

XFYKNtj.png

Shop is too wide and too noisy to test bass extension and volume, so can't tell whether the Luna ($269 btw) has as good bass as iLoud. It is certainly bigger than iLoud tho. But despite how big the chassis looks compared to the woofer / faceplate, it is still slightly smaller than 3" bookshelves, tho not by much. iLoud: 90mm width, Luna: 122mm width, CR3: 140mm width, AV32: 130mm width.

https://www.amazon.com/IK-Multimedi...=1547479395&sr=8-5&keywords=studio+monitor+3"

The two Edifier speakers have vastly different sounds. Luna reminds me of Audioengine A2. Which is the type of tuning I prefer. Warmish with lots of upper-bass (to compensate for lack of lower-bass). R1010BT sounds very wide, or the "lots of air" kind of sound, or the "is this thing having the correct phase?" kind of sound. It also shares the sound of R2000DB of having low amount of lower-midrange. So now I'm convinced this sound is a design choice.

The leftmost speaker is the KEF EGG (Yes all caps, according to the official name). The one with 4.25" Uni-Q.

wthirteen

Reaction score
hello all, newbie here looking for some help to set up my own system in my hdb living room. got a yamaha rx v657 amp and looking to get a pair of bookshelves. currently thinking of either the edifier r2000db or mackie mr524, anybody got any suggestions? new to setting up all of these but looking to get a 2.1 setup (tho i heard the edifier doesnt need a sub)

86technie

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hello all, newbie here looking for some help to set up my own system in my hdb living room. got a yamaha rx v657 amp and looking to get a pair of bookshelves. currently thinking of either the edifier r2000db or mackie mr524, anybody got any suggestions? new to setting up all of these but looking to get a 2.1 setup (tho i heard the edifier doesnt need a sub)

Err.. to hookup to the amp?
If so, you need to look at passive bookshelf not active.
Mackie and Edifier are active bookshelf meaning powered
so you don't need a amp to drive them.

Amon86

Reaction score

RMLaOg5.png

XFYKNtj.png

The MX remind me of Bang and Olufsen edge

beosound-edge-8.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.