View Single Post
Old 15-01-2019, 09:50 AM   #8
kennyyeo23

Hmm… very specific set of requirements you have.

On the topic of surround, my belief is that headphones with good imaging and stereo separation will get a much longer way than any pseudo-surround technology.

As for the need to be mobile, I admit that wireless headphones are your best option. You can always order longer cables with headphones but they are still cumbersome.

Noise-cancellation is only effective at certain frequencies. They are excellent at removing low-ish frequency and repeating noises, which is why they are good in the planes. Outside of the plane, I find that they are very good at removing fan and aircon noise. Traffic to a lesser extent. That said, Sony’s new WH-1000XM3 is a big jump forward for the tech and you should definitely check it out since isolation from environmental noise is a priority for you.

Still, on the subject of isolation have you considered Etymotic? Their in-ear monitors are the leaders in isolation. But they do go very deep into your ears, so that’s something to consider. Unfortunately, I don’t think they have a wireless option.

As for sound, I’m afraid to say that the WH-1000XM3 are really bassy and probably not your cup of tea. But that is usually the case for most mainstream consumer headphones, especially Sonys. You need to look at the, for lack of a better word, “audiophile” options for headphones that are tuned differently. Perhaps Audio-Technica? I don’t have much experience with their headphones (only heard a few) but I find that they are less bassy and more balanced than Sonys.

If wireless and isolation are your biggest priorities outside of sound, then NAD VISO HP70 is probably the best option. It sounds more natural and balanced than the Sonys, and it is wireless and has active noise-canceling. You can check them out at the NAD showroom at Shaw Tower, Beach Road.