Bangkok help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

flowerpalms

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Have a 5d4n to spare in February, thinking of going Bangkok

First timer to Thailand, Bangkok but not the first time going on solo trip.
Preferably more sightseeing, taking nice scenic pictures over shopping

1. Which area to stay in Bangkok for first timer, solo traveller?
2. Any recommended hotel?
3. Recommend sightseeing and places where i can take nice pictures in Bangkok?

flowerpalms

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
And also, for a first timer to thailand, is it better to go bangkok first or chiangmai?

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
And also, for a first timer to thailand, is it better to go bangkok first or chiangmai?

If you like shopping, can explore bangkok ...
normally most people would choose to go bangkok ...
that explains why there are so many flights going to bangkok each day ...

For Bangkok, budget airline usually is about $80+ to $150+ onwards
For full fledged airline, price is usually $200+ onwards ...
hardly would have below $200 sales ...

For ChiangMai, you can fly scoot (a320), price about $300 ...
For silkair , price is $368 onwards, based on current promo ...

For ChiangRai, airasia currently have $78 taxes in two way promo ...

dede1217

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Normally Singaporeans love to stay at Pratunam ...
Many shopping areas ...
Good hotel to recommend would be arnoma , beside big c, opp centralworld.
5 min walk to bts chitlom, and four face buddha ...about 85+ to 100+ per nite

Ultimately, depends on your travel dates, your budget ...

No.1AHOLE

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah pratunam area is the best for first timer. Easier to walk around. And if you have a tight budget, you can source for cheaper hotel online, est about 40 plus or 50 plus a night also have. All depends on your budget.

flowerpalms

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you like shopping, can explore bangkok ...
normally most people would choose to go bangkok ...
that explains why there are so many flights going to bangkok each day ...

For Bangkok, budget airline usually is about $80+ to $150+ onwards
For full fledged airline, price is usually $200+ onwards ...
hardly would have below $200 sales ...

For ChiangMai, you can fly scoot (a320), price about $300 ...
For silkair , price is $368 onwards, based on current promo ...

For ChiangRai, airasia currently have $78 taxes in two way promo ...

I just checked jetstar, they offer $120 for my dates and also more timings. Huh but i am not really into shopping, like i prefer scenery than shopping i want a getaway relax. Any opinion for alternative destinations?

flowerpalms

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah pratunam area is the best for first timer. Easier to walk around. And if you have a tight budget, you can source for cheaper hotel online, est about 40 plus or 50 plus a night also have. All depends on your budget.

Pratunam convenient to visit tourist attractions also?

No.1AHOLE

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Pratunam convenient to visit tourist attractions also?

Actually its easy. Probably what you can do is go online and see where are the place of interest which you like to visit then go google map and check the distance. If within Bangkok, You can just book a grab from your hotel to the place.

flowerpalms

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Actually its easy. Probably what you can do is go online and see where are the place of interest which you like to visit then go google map and check the distance. If within Bangkok, You can just book a grab from your hotel to the place.

I am still thinking bangkok vs chiangmai for a first timer to thailand. As you can see chiangmai has more scenery stuff but their budget flights cost much more...is also like shopping vs scenery

No.1AHOLE

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah. For scenery if you are on a tight budget can try Khao Yai. About 3 hour away from Bangkok. Fly to Bangkok then take a minivan or bus there can liao.
If really intending to go to chiang mai, if flight is ex, then you can try to save up on accommodation, plus the things there are a lot cheaper than Bangkok and can use grab also. So transport is not an issue.

flowerpalms

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah. For scenery if you are on a tight budget can try Khao Yai. About 3 hour away from Bangkok. Fly to Bangkok then take a minivan or bus there can liao.
If really intending to go to chiang mai, if flight is ex, then you can try to save up on accommodation, plus the things there are a lot cheaper than Bangkok and can use grab also. So transport is not an issue.

Ya i read up on khao yai b4. Going solo abit weird because there like more suitable for couple, family. Me think Khao Kho nicer than Khao Yai. Have asked around and they say Feb not a good time to go Khao Kho, also no sea cloud. Transport also an issue at Khao Kho as theres no taxi.

Are you familiar with chiangmai?

No.1AHOLE

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ya i read up on khao yai b4. Going solo abit weird because there like more suitable for couple, family. Me think Khao Kho nicer than Khao Yai. Have asked around and they say Feb not a good time to go Khao Kho, also no sea cloud. Transport also an issue at Khao Kho as theres no taxi.

Are you familiar with chiangmai?

Not really familiar there but I just came back from there few weeks ago. Went there with my gf. You could probably read up more on the chiang mai thread.

BlackCube

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U can go nearby like kanchanaburi or hua hin or pattaya instead. If not stay in BKK lo.

Want more scenery than spend Abit more to take the flight to cm. Then stay cheaper hotel.

Posted from PCWX using Nexus 5

No.1AHOLE

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
U can go nearby like kanchanaburi or hua hin or pattaya instead. If not stay in BKK lo.

Want more scenery than spend Abit more to take the flight to cm. Then stay cheaper hotel.

Ya kanchanaburi is a bloody good place to relax. That time I book a floathouse there and literally rot there for 3 days. :s13:

flowerpalms

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score

For CM if direct flight its alrdy 300+/400+ even for budget airlines. Way too much for a 5d4n trip to SEA destination. I am thinking if i can fly to bangkok and then go to CM. But if at bangkok i dont want to take domestic flight to CM, whats the 2nd fastest mode of transport?

No.1AHOLE

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How to go? And what to do there. Tips and recommendations pls

Same thing as how to go to Khao Yai. Got to go to a bus terminal then take a bus/minivan there. I was quite lucky that time as I managed to met one driver at kanchanaburi bus terminal. He offer to drive us down to the pier for about 1000 plus baht where we have to take a boat to our floathouse. Then he also give us his no. in case we need to head out to go buy stuff or see scenery.

Tips and recommendation ah... I am not too sure if its easy to get a taxi there or not. And I don't think grab is available there. I would recommend you to go to places that you can get transport easily.

hwaa

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

dont stay at pratunam area, the traffic will kill u instantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.