Best VPN provider (In your opinion)? (Strictly no referral allowed)

urbanbootless

Reaction score
Thanks, xiaofan for summarizing our discussion, hopefully, this will help readers choose the provider that suits their needs. Meanwhile, bestVPN released their yearly VPN awards, https://www.bestvpn.com/awards/.

Non-surprisingly ExpressVPN was editors and peoples' choice, NordVPN got best VPN overall, Surfshark is the best newcomer (silently expected that) and AirVPN is awarded for best privacy, but damn is it expensive, you can check their prices here. I checked and deal sites gathered Surfshark coupons that are still active in 2019, so if anyone wanna try out the new best newcomer here's a link to coupon list. Haven't read the document how bestVPN chose the winners but will take a look and post here if there's something interesting.

shachok86

Reaction score

Speedtest by Ivacy VPN connected to Netflix server. At Fast.com only get 2.3Mbps. Using premium account for Ivacy. Lifetime subscription at GDGT for USD39.99.

Ivacy VPN connected to SG server for normal usage.

shachok86

Reaction score

NordVpn connected to US server for Netflix streaming. Fast.com test showing 29Mbps.

NordVpn connected to SG server for normal usage.

andrewgmsg

Reaction score
How did you get that speed on NordVPN?

Hi, can I find out how you got those speed with local connections? I am using NordVPN and connected to 182.something sg server using OpenVPN on my router. I used to get about 800mbps on i7 desktop but using NordVPN, it drops to about 35mbps. Can you please let me know how to get that speed? Thank you very much.

shachok86

Reaction score
Hi, can I find out how you got those speed with local connections? I am using NordVPN and connected to 182.something sg server using OpenVPN on my router. I used to get about 800mbps on i7 desktop but using NordVPN, it drops to about 35mbps. Can you please let me know how to get that speed? Thank you very much.

I'm using nordvpn directly on my pc instead of router.Auto connect to best server. And test using internet explorer. Nord have multiple server in sg, some got slower speed.

Charlie_Zhan

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
most importantly is what router are you using since you mentioned you are using OpenVPN on your router.

Sent from Samsung SM-G965F using GAGT

urbanbootless

Reaction score
NordVpn connected to US server for Netflix streaming.

Guys if you're in Singapore you don't need to connect to US servers to watch US Netflix. Netflix is unlocked by configuring VPN providers DNS, so you can connect to the server nearby for maximum speed and by default, you will be redirected to US Netflix. If you want to connect to UK Netflix though you do have to choose a server from the UK. For example, Surfshark about a week ago unlocked AU Netflix, before that all users connected to AU servers were redirected to USA Netflix because of DNS configuration. Now they have to choose a server outside of AU closer to the country whose Netflix they want to watch. I hope I made myself clear, but if you have questions pls ask, I'm researching how VPNs work with streamings recently.

shachok86

Reaction score
Guys if you're in Singapore you don't need to connect to US servers to watch US Netflix. Netflix is unlocked by configuring VPN providers DNS, so you can connect to the server nearby for maximum speed and by default, you will be redirected to US Netflix. If you want to connect to UK Netflix though you do have to choose a server from the UK. For example, Surfshark about a week ago unlocked AU Netflix, before that all users connected to AU servers were redirected to USA Netflix because of DNS configuration. Now they have to choose a server outside of AU closer to the country whose Netflix they want to watch. I hope I made myself clear, but if you have questions pls ask, I'm researching how VPNs work with streamings recently.

But it is dependent on vpn provider itself?

Cirevek67

Reaction score
But it is dependent on vpn provider itself?
As far as I know, it depends on the VPN provider. Some of them buy the DNS servers, others just use the Google public DNS server.

I would advise asking the provider of your choice about their DNS servers, they'll should give a clear answer.

camile89

Reaction score
Anybody used both nordvpn and windscribe for netflix before? Which is better in terms of streaming speed?

Last edited:

shachok86

Reaction score
Anybody used both nordvpn and windscribe for netflix before? Which is better in terms of streaming speed?

I got both account... windscribe is faster for me but only 1 server... nord got more server for netflix so maybe need to try a few...i only tried 1 server which was buffering a few times...

stam

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I got both account... windscribe is faster for me but only 1 server... nord got more server for netflix so maybe need to try a few...i only tried 1 server which was buffering a few times...

which server can i use windscribe for netflix? i try playing but netflix told me error...

stam

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
windscribe account must use on PC or laptop? can use on mobile for netflix?:s11:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.