Introducing the Sony A6400

hacktic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
It’s going to become the new mid-level camera replacing both the A5100 and entry level A6xxx cameras
It has a classic A6xxx design but it has the A5100 selfie screen (SAR note: That’s why for a short moment I thought this was an A5xxx camera…but it’s not)
New APS-C sensor
Made for vloggers
4K30p (it has NOT 4k60p)
No Z-battery and no dual SD card slot
But has some new “exciting” features

:zonia:

i dont understand why Sony is making this move.
a case of one giant step forward, 1 small step back?

harky

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
So....... A6000 will drop price?

hacktic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it has been going up and down...as in with cash rebates (discounts)

for bashing:
the flipup screen is blocked when a mic is mounted. is it so hard to put an articulating screen instead?
higher ISO....so what? no one likes to shoot in high ISO unless you're talking about the A7S series
no IBIS - still have to get a a6500 or OSS lens...out of luck if you use 3rd party lens

for envy (in a way)
no record limit ( so no cuts at 30mins but there are already hacks available)
Real-time Tracking

chiaRH

Reaction score
no IBIS means its suitable for vloggers who really want that jittery handheld shaky cam feel in their vids

The flip screen is a no-win scenario if you only make it flip vertical. Flip up means it blocked by hotshoe mic. Flip down means block by tripod, they should just do it like the panasonic G9 or canon G5X and have it flip out the side

twosix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
seen some bloggers showcasing this on youtube. seems stabilized enough.

hacktic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
becos vloggers use wideangle <18mm focal length so jitters are minimalised.
wait till you go 50mm, any shake movement is magnified

lunarsong

Reaction score
Youtuber Jason Vong has a workaround

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThIoM0EoSAY&t=298s

2:35-3:00 min

this is featured in the video:

https://www.amazon.com/Ulanzi-Micro...lizer/dp/B07CWS619X?keywords=ulanzi+pt-3&qid= (non ref link)

it has been going up and down...as in with cash rebates (discounts)

for bashing:
the flipup screen is blocked when a mic is mounted. is it so hard to put an articulating screen instead?
higher ISO....so what? no one likes to shoot in high ISO unless you're talking about the A7S series
no IBIS - still have to get a a6500 or OSS lens...out of luck if you use 3rd party lens

for envy (in a way)
no record limit ( so no cuts at 30mins but there are already hacks available)
Real-time Tracking

hacktic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not an exciting "update" from Sony

still waiting for the successor model for the a6500.....

the a6300->a6500 only had a short span of some 8 months and that was back in 2016

the a6000->a6300 was a 2 years wait.

but Sony marketing is great... they continue to sell a6000 today coming to some 5 years...
and the other family of Sonys as well....such that users wont feel the urge to upgrade an "obsolete" model since it has not been discontinued.

chiaRH

Reaction score
if the changes are small and incremental there wouldnt be any motivation for existing users to upgrade but it's a good way to draw in new users into the ecosystem as they can buy the old flagships at least assuming the prices of sony lens dont scare them off

am not a sony user myself but from what i know the A6500 fixes some issues of predecessors (overheat) while leaving some still unfixed (4k rolling shutter)

minamikaze

Reaction score
Anyone knows where's the cheapest place to buy this camera now?
Is it generally better to wait for the IT shows, say the Tech Show in mid Nov?

hacktic

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
all fixed price from Sony la.... the resellers can only bundle in freebies to sweeten the deal.

DrSheldonCooper

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows where's the cheapest place to buy this camera now?
Is it generally better to wait for the IT shows, say the Tech Show in mid Nov?

Price is quite standard among the major cam shops.

I did some legwork, and TK offered the most freebies.

IT show you will probably be buying direct from Sony? If so their price is slightly higher than what the usual cam shops offer. Whether or not they give enough freebies to offset the price is up to you though. Personally would shop at the regular shops to avoid the crazy crowds at IT shows.

kennut

Reaction score
Price is quite standard among the major cam shops.

I did some legwork, and TK offered the most freebies.

IT show you will probably be buying direct from Sony? If so their price is slightly higher than what the usual cam shops offer. Whether or not they give enough freebies to offset the price is up to you though. Personally would shop at the regular shops to avoid the crazy crowds at IT shows.
tk is life <3

zhengwen89

Reaction score
Happy week guys! Which is better Sony a6400 or a6500? Share your thoughts.

i prefer the a6400 too, cause i appreciate the motion tracking. I also like that you can rotate the screen 180 degrees. I actually got it from Shopee cause they having some Million dollar discount then i felt it was more affordable than retail stores la (and better since now nth is open) got warranty too so no need worry i guess

Last edited by a moderator:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.