Reaction score
using sound blaster equiliser to contro the bass setting

can preset your preferred movies, music and gaming settings

song bo

38689331580_d5b1cae14c_b.jpg

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
Qn: Will the amp and speaker combo as below, work well together, at least based on specs.

is the sensitivity going to be a big issue?

everything will be on my desktop setup, speakers on desk about 1m apart, and i'll be seated less then 1m away from them.

Speaker:
Design: 2-way vented-box
FrequencyRange: 55Hz-40kHz
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m): 87dB
Impedance: 8 ohms (minimum 6.4 ohms)
Power Requirement: 50-200W recommended
Crossover Frequency: 2500Hz
Crossover’s Attenuation Slope: Woofer -12dB, Tweeter -18dB

Amp:
HTB1CP0bXsH85uJjSZFqq6y4tpXaY.jpg

Last edited:

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
220s like quite ok, did you check out anything from elac? should have quite value for money stuff too.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If you believe this shootout, it chose 3020 over Elac Debut
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bookshelf-speakers/

And 3020 is cheaper than Debut here
https://www.lazada.sg/products/q-acoustics-3020-walnut-i149889077-s185785286.html?spm=a2o42.searchlist.list.16.930e2d618rjGYl&search=1

Here we have another shootout with the user preferring the Wharfedale 200 series over the equivalent-size Debut
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2961468-bronze-2-q100-diamond-225-debut-b6-shootout.html

Note that again, Wharfedale is cheaper than Elac here. While reverse is true in USA. (And I would be careful of price affecting results.)

Not that I have anything against Elac, but we simply have made-in-China speakers selling cheaper here, while the made-in-USA are expensive here while being cheaper in the... erm... USA.

Not just Elac; Polk, Klipsch, Atlantic Technology...? Bose, the Pioneers by Andrew Jones, Micca... just an incomplete list of USA brand speakers that are cheap in USA but fail to grab foothold anywhere outside, and these are just the ones I can remember without Googling.

Last edited:

zephyr11

Master Member
Reaction score
Note that again, Wharfedale is cheaper than Elac here. While reverse is true in USA. (And I would be careful of price affecting results.)

THAT i didn't know, then again i never really looked at brand new speakers to start.

good to know.

:s12:

Reaction score
If you believe this shootout, it chose 3020 over Elac Debut
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bookshelf-speakers/

And 3020 is cheaper than Debut here
https://www.lazada.sg/products/q-acoustics-3020-walnut-i149889077-s185785286.html?spm=a2o42.searchlist.list.16.930e2d618rjGYl&search=1

Here we have another shootout with the user preferring the Wharfedale 200 series over the equivalent-size Debut
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2961468-bronze-2-q100-diamond-225-debut-b6-shootout.html

Not that I have anything against Elac, but we simply have made-in-China speakers selling cheaper here, while the made-in-USA are expensive here while being cheaper in the... erm... USA.

Not just Elac; Polk, Klipsch, Atlantic Technology...? Bose, the Pioneers by Andrew Jones, Micca... just an incomplete list of USA brand speakers that are cheap in USA but fail to grab foothold anywhere outside, and these are just the ones I can remember without Googling.

Thanks for the advice
besides q acoustics and wharfedale, what other brands that are price friendly here.

What's the difference btw the 11 and 22x series. The 2 series seems to be a tad higher end. Q acoustics seems to be more compact but the bass is 10hz higher than Wharfedale and a few db less sensitive too.

Thanks for your insights.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
In general, brands owned by IAG are cheap in Asia

PtdB2Xu.png

Although when I say cheap, it is relative... perhaps I should say "less overpriced". Wharfedale for example, is selling cheaper in UK than Singapore after Brexit killed the GBP.

Then brands that are from China and Taiwan no need to say... Note that sometimes the shop or the marketing department may still choose to jack up the price regardless.

Some other brands are still relatively decently-priced here, for example Infinity R152. (Local price SGD$400, Amazon price USD$270.) For comparison, Elac Debut B6.2 is USD$290 but SGD$630. I don't blame the shops because the same shop can also carry the cheaper brands; I blame the distribution.

Perhaps because Infinity is part of Harman International now?
mx6Cc6L.png

My prices may not be accurate, because different countries / shops have different discounts at different times. But this is precisely why one needs to do the homework to make sure one gets the best deals. There was once a time when Adam AX series was selling cheaper in Singapore than anywhere else. Don't omit older-generation products that are getting clearance sale-ed. OTOH, just because the product is many % off its original price doesn't necessarily mean it becomes a good deal at the lower price, if the product is crap at the original price to begin with.

Diamond 200 series is just newer than 100 series. Wharfedale updates their speakers very often. (And often changing the entire design.)

Sensitivity is never a problem if you want to avoid hearing loss. Sensitivity figures are often inaccurate anyway.

The Q is definitely more compact by a bit except for depth. But take note the Q is rear-ported, while the Wharfedale 220 is... erm... bottom-ported. Yea. This is a relatively unique design.

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hz ratings are "for reference only". Even if nowadays more and more manufacturers are also mentioning whether it is +-3dB or +-6dB or +-10dB

Because what they never tell you is whether those are "in typical application scenario". Some brands actually mention whether those Hz numbers are "in room" or even "on table" or even "with back wall". But basically if they never specify "anechoic", you can treat it as it is not anechoic. And even if they say it is anechoic, I don't trust it either.

Furthermore sometimes the values can be technically correct but actually useless. The trick is saying for example +-3dB, but the midbass frequencies are boosted compared to the treble (although still keeping to the +-3dB). But then the -3dB bass cutoff point is -3dB versus the treble. So, yes, it is still a +-3dB response, but the bass rolls off faster than what the number suggests.

Whatever the reason, it is not uncommon to have measurements differing from rating. Take these two measurements of Diamond 220 for example.

fr_on1530.gif

https://www.soundstagenetwork.com/i...&catid=77:loudspeaker-measurements&Itemid=153

316wharf.meas.jpg

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/wharfedale-diamond-220-speaker-system-review-test-bench
Diamond 220 (purple) +1.44/–4.56 dB, 200 Hz to 10 kHz; –3 dB @ 99 Hz, –6 dB @ 76 Hz; impedance minimum 4.35 ohms @ 224 Hz, phase angle –35.10º @ 120 Hz; sensitivity 87 dB, 500 Hz to 2 kHz.

And I wouldn't say these prove the rating is incorrect, because there will be some way to make the rating correct. Same goes for sensitivity, btw.

And finally perhaps the hardest to understand part of all, is that even if two speakers have the same anechoic frequency response, they can still behave differently on your table. :D Size of woofer, location of port, distance between drivers, basically things affecting dispersion pattern, these may have minimal effect in a perfect measurement set up, but these nearfield effects will have an effect on the sound when you are, erm, nearfield.

tl;dr, basically just throw everything away and just ask a guy who has both which one has more bass. Yea, and I forgot to mention that bass extension is not bass quantity. And insufficient bass quantity is worse than having enough bass quantity but less extension.

I would believe that general consensus is that Wharfedale has more bass while the Q speakers have less.

bryanvlo

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope this is right place to ask, looking to get 2.1 for my PC. Mainly for gaming and movies. Could you guys recommend please?

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For below 200, get a z623 when it's on sale lor... Lowest I've seen that bugger is $130

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.